EXA slr

Mauro

Mauro
Local time
6:56 PM
Dear RFF friends,
I have received today an EXA 1b, that I am going to use with the M42 lenses I already own.
I know it is a simple camera, by the way i would like to read any comments and tips from other users.
I will post some pictures from my first film roll of course.

Thanks for any reply

Hello, Mauro:

I bet that you will enjoy the Exa; I have one and I have enjoyed it, though I haven't been using it much recently. The numbering of the Exa bodies is quite confusing to me; I thought for years that I had Exa 1a, but then some research online led me to believe that was not correct. Anyway, I suppose that the shutter, viewfinder, and mechanics of the Ib are about the same as mine. You are fortunate to have all the M42 lenses available to you; my "1a" is the Exa[kta] mount and the lens I like to use is a 50mm f/2.8 Tessar, though the camera originally came with a Meritar lens. I have used it for slide film-- the WL viewfinder is useful for flower photos-- and slower speed b&w film on a wide variety of subjects; I've also done a lot of photo copying using a copy stand and CU lenses on the Tessar. Anyway, enjoy the Exa and please post a photo when you can.

Bill Delehanty

I thought the Exa was an Exakta mount and not M42. Does the Exa 1b use M42 - I actually don't know the answer to this.

I had the original Exa with the small barrel Tessar. Nice little camera, and I found it to be a bit easier to use than the standard Exakta. shuter

The shortcoming of the Exa is its limited range of shutter speeds. It also lacks a shutter delay and slow speeds - at least, that's true of the original Exa. You can think of it as "Exakta lite."

The Exa, Exa 1, Exa 1a, and some of the 1bs use the Exakta mount. Most of the 1bs, and all of the 1c use the M42 mount.

I've used my Exa a ton and really enjoy it. Although only a bit at a time.

My IIb has the same mount as the pre-war ones. Easy to spot because of the little clip by the shutter button.

Regards, David

Back