Exa!

KoNickon

Nick Merritt
Local time
12:30 AM
I have one of the earlier Exas, type 4 from ca. 1957 according to the Aguila/Rouah book. It's cute as a bug, and lovely in the older Ihagee style. Unfortunately, 1/150 and 1/100 are both capping significantly. Does anyone know how to open up these cameras and work on these sector-type shutters? Thanks very much.

I've only done a bit of minor work to one: cleaning a lens; replacing mirror foam (important, if it is missing the mirror extends too far up, which will prevent the capping plate from latching correctly). But I have a couple of comments. If the shutter is capping, it suggests to me that the mirror may not be moving as rapidly as it should, perhaps, as it acts as the first curtain (so to speak) so, cleaning and if needed, lubrication of its mechanism may assist. Secondly, like their Exakta relatives they have a removable prism and top covers. So I would pop the prism out and remove the top covers to access some components, and take it from there. It probably doesn't matter with the Exas, but to be on the safe side, I'd recommend cocking the shutter before removing the covers, as it certainly does matter with an Exakta. One thing you have in your favour is that they are a basic and generally reliable design, so I would be fairly confident of being able to get it sorted.
Cheers
Brett

Thanks, Brett. Not sure what I should be cleaning and lubricating but I'll see what I can see once I take the left and right top covers off.

I would investigate further for you myself, but the Exa I did a little work to was a customer's camera that I no longer have on hand, sorry. Some tips that can make it easier to diagnose exactly what the problem is include firing the shutter at all the different speeds (not that there are many to choose from with the Exa) and also try watching it closely on the Bulb setting, because this enables you to separate the beginning and the end of the cycle. Because it is capping it suggests to me the curved slide that acts as a second curtain or capping plate is catching up with the mirror. Logically, then, I reckon the mirror release mechanism and pivots it swings on are all candidates for closer inspection in the first instance, yes?
Cheers
Brett

Brett -- makes much sense! Thanks very much.

I'm not sure how to go about reaching those mechanisms, though. I removed the left hand top plate (rewind knob side) and started to do the right, but was late and I difn't want to get in too deeply. But it looks as though there is a screw on either side, below the top plate, that may hold the whole mirror and wind assembly onto the film chamber. I'm hoping access is that simple.

Back