Exakta CLA

yinyangbt

MFL addicted
Local time
6:30 PM
Hello !
I finally received my Varex IIa . Seems in good condition. Works .
But needs cleaning and lubrication (has a "shutter cough").
Do you have experience with this ? Or some links to info about the procedure ?
Thank you !

Will this help?

http://www.zorkikat.com/2011/12/my-second-exakta-and-the-replacement-of-its-shutter/

When the shutter 'coughs' and 'whizzes', it's a sign of dryness in the mechanism. Flush cleaning (with naphtha) the mechanism and then applying new oil will cure it.

MG_1841.jpg

Could be used a dirt and rust spray remover instead of naphta ?
?
What type of grease to use for lubing the mechanism ?

?

I am not sure about dirt and rust remover. It may be too strong or too greasy for cleaning the camera mechanism. Naptha, Benzine, or Lighter fluid are best for this cleaning- these are light and evaporate very quickly. They dissolve old grease very well.

The fast moving parts (gear pivots, pulleys, etc) can be oiled with fine sewing machine oil.

Those which don't move very quickly (like the mechanism under the slow speed setting knob) can be lubricated with heavier grease (automobile axle grease is suitable).

Do not put too much oil. Just very little. Let the oil spread itself by letting the mechanism move. The squeaks and sighs will slowly disappear.

Dirt and rust spray removers are excellent cleaners, but poor long term greases for precision mechanics (with issues like grease creep onto optical elements, or eating away brass, zinc and aluminium parts). So you have to remove them entirely after application - which will need more naphta than if you'd used the latter for cleaning from scratch.

Nyoil or any other generic low creep camera or watch oil will do fine. Do not use generic sewing machine oil - this tends to have more creep than you would want near shutter curtains, ground glass or prisms.

I have the same camera and it needs new curtains. Dont think that I have the skill level necessary to do this myself though.

Dirt and rust spray removers are excellent cleaners,

Nyoil or any other generic low creep camera or watch oil will do fine. Do not use generic sewing machine oil - this tends to have more creep than you would want near shutter curtains, ground glass or prisms.

I have used generic "3-in-1" sewing machine oil for ages, and I haven't had 'creeping' issues in any of the cameras I used it on. If used to much, there is indeed the risk of having the oil migrate into places where they don't need to be. What matters more is that there should not be too much oil used.

The Exakta mechanism has fairly large parts. And most of them are exposed so the oiling points are easy to access. Oil is applied with a watch oiler or small syringe.

My Exaktas have been oiled with sewing machine oil applied in 2010. No oil creeping yet, and they are in the tropics where temperatures average at 28 C all year.

Be careful not to get any oil or naptha on the glue for the curtains/ribbons/curtains themselves. It can dissolve the glue and leave you with an even bigger problem.

I use a bit of white lithium grease for the advance gears.

Where is the shutter squeak produced actually ? In wich part of the mechanism ?

MG_1841.jpg

Note the pins - the parts which are connected to the chassis- of the two reeling posts at the left and the two spring loaded cylinders on the right. Apply a very small amount of oil on those pins. From the bottom of the chassis, you can see the pins, and you can apply the oil there.

The squeak can also (and often) originate from the pulleys on the reeling post of the second (narrow) curtain. These pulleys relay the straps of the first (wide) curtain. You can also apply a small amount of oil on the pulleys. Be very careful not to get any oil on the curtains or the ribbons.

If some oil gets on the curtains, immediately remove it with a cotton tipped toothpick (or 'Q-tip') dipped in some lighter fluid. A liberal amount of lighter fluid will not harm the curtains. If the glue used for your Exakta is original, you don't have to worry about lighter fluid getting in them. IHG used shellac, which is quite inert to lighter fluid. The shellac glue is affected only by alcohol or acetone.

While the crate is still out of the chassis, you may want to oil the other parts too. Put a bit between -using the syringe again- the gears of the winding lever.

Put a bit of oil on the pivot of the large gear under the shutter dial as well.

NOTE! When working on the "winding" side of the chassis, BE CAREFUL NOT TO REMOVE the reeled spring under the winder. This can be difficult to replace and synchronise properly with the rest of the mechanism. ALWAYS replace the winder and its retaining nut after disassembling the top cover to prevent the winding spring from popping out.

Back