Exercise without tears

Historically, we have gotten exercise from routine necessary activities (farming, hunting, travel by foot, etc). That would still apply today if we have roughly equivalent activities, as you describe, Roger.

I have never been a fan of team sports, myself. When I was a young boy, I heard about Little League (baseball) and I prayed that my parents wouldn't think it a good thing for me. I saw my summers off from school as a sacred time to play and have fun. Having an adult constrain me to a prescribed activity and tell me, "You go over there and you do this," was not my idea of a good time. I got enough of that at school, already. :mad:

- Murray

Being a plumber I get plenty of well paid exercise every day. Notwithstanding this each Sunday my mate and I head go for a hike in the Adelaide Hills varying between 4-6 hours depending on the weather. Also 7 to 8 times a year I go away for the weekend with a group from the Friends of the Heysen Trail hiking on the, you guessed it, the Heysen Trail. All this keeps me in pretty good shape. And my annual break is always spent tramping in New Zealand. I spend 3 weeks there, generally flying over on Boxing Day and coming home mid January.

I commute by bicycle: 30 miles a day, five days a week. If weather permits I'll carry a camera with me, and I also keep a few cameras at work for lunchtime walks. What I need now is to find a suitable chest holster to carry my Hasselblad.

I can't think of anything more boring than going to a gym, or more unpleasant than running. Cycling keeps me fit, gives me time for my own thoughts, and lets me avoid taking the train - wins all round as far as I'm concerned.

Camera & Bike Rides

Camera & Bike Rides

My preferred methods of exercise is bike riding and kayaking. They're ways to exercise while sitting down. In addition to trying to lose weight and staying healthy, I have some other motivations to ride my bike. One is to go far to impress my girlfriend and others. Yesterday I rode for a little more than 80 km (50 miles). Another motivation is to take pictures while out for a bike ride, photos I can post on-line to impress friends. While riding, I'm looking for an interesting photo. I'll go farther and off my planned route to find a good shot. So, in part, photography drives me forward. Below are shots I took in the past few weeks:

russelljtdyer-bikeride-nosadella-italy-20170129-rangefinders.jpg

Edge of Nosadello, Italy

russelljtdyer-bikeride-roverbella-italy-20170121-rangefinders.jpg

Farm in setting sun near Roverbella, Italy

russelljtdyer-bikeride-palazzo-pignano-italy-20170212-rangefinders.jpg

4th Century Church in Palazzo Pignano, Italy

These were all taken with a Sony RX100-M3 camera. It's easier to transport on the bike than a Leica M9 or M3.

I wholeheartedly agree with exercise for its own sake is not enjoyable.

When I was young I absolutely hated running. It was something I avoided doing at all costs. But then I was camping with a friend, and there was a lookout that was 5km on a narrow trail from the campsite and it would be wonderful at sunset and we could make it if we ran. He said we wouldn't have to run fast, just a little faster than a brisk walk. I hated it for the first 4km or so and then all of a sudden it was so relaxing and peaceful, almost meditative. We ran back the campsite in the dark with head torches. Even better.

(...)

The big problem I have with running is that is strips you of muscle mass. I grew up windsurfing and used to have biceps, now I have noodle arms. So I make sure I do as much incidental exercise as I can that involves some sort of strength aspect. I've been known to drop an do so push ups once in a while when I get bored...

I also walk to work (5km each way) a few times a week and try not to drive if I can avoid it.

Agreed on that. Curiously there's been a bit of "running mania" the last years around here. I have a friend who is a gym instructor and he corroborates it, too many people take up running without proper knowledge and for the sake of it.

Now, for a sunset I'd run too. As I said also, excercising with a buddy is much better because it adds a purpose.

The observation about muscle mass is quite relevant to me. I am lightweight and developed lower body because of cycling. Last summer I began to do some push ups and strengthened a bit my torso and arms.
I'd like to develop these muscle groups more, but it's a bit of a bummer because it's not as convenient as bicycle.

Perhaps rowing, kayaking or stand up paddle next summer.

The bicycle is a nice medium to arrive far away locations.

I ran for years, now I walk daily or try to walk daily, and I do a series of core exercises, followed by push ups. No gym for me, but I'm thinking about a membership at one close to home (walk); if it is clean.

Exercise without tears

I resumed running - short distance and long distance - in 2010 after a lapse of 25 years and after a rather catty acquaintance was amazed to hear I was going to enter a charity event and doubted my ability to run with colleagues in a relay along Hadrian's Wall. Her comments ensured I would do it - and do it in style, just to prove her wrong.

As a result of my resumed hobby I all but stopped taking photographs. Anyway, I have calmed down a bit and now treat my rest or cut-back weekends as a chance to take a relaxing walk instead of running long distance or doing military fitness in the park. On the walk the only fitness equipment I carry is a Leica M6 armed with a 35/1.4 Summilux and loaded with Ilford FP4 film. (OK, I sometimes use a Fuji X-Pro 2 which is sort of the modern equivalent but it's not as fun.) I use a yellow filter in the unscrewable hood and love the fact that as with fitness gains you have to wait a couple of weeks to see the full results. If I had to choose between strenuous exercise and contemplative exercise... well, I'd rather have both depending on my mood and degree of freshness, but if it had to be one or the other I would opt for the calm and creativity of the photo bimble.

Exercise and photography: both obsessions and that reminds me of what someone on here puts at the bottom of his posts: "There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness."

gyms are to exercise what pubs are to pints

i don't know a more efficient way to exercise than at a gym, though prefer the outdoors for it.

weight training, circuit training, cardio, whatever you need, you can get it done in 30-45 minutes and then get out. few times a week keeps me as fit as i need.

Weight training at whatever gym is close and inexpensive changed my life. I think of it as my church - a physical, mental and emotional 'zeroing' that I now struggle to do without. No goal, just an hour or two of being entirely within my own flow state, 3-6 days a week.

"Striving for any form of excellence other than physical is for the most part incomprehensible to those whose intellectual limitations confine them to the physical."

Inspirational, just inspirational. Thank you.

Had a minor stroke in 2011. Left me with a weak right arm (I'm right handed).

Once physio got my arm working again I thought I'd try archery to help improve things; so I bought a 25lb pull bow (kid's weight).

My targets have a rock backing, so many arrows get destroyed, but now I can easily swing my M6 from my shoulder and hold it comfortably without trembling.

Roger, I read your article and agree entirely about gyms even though I actually enjoy using them; it's still nicer to be outdoors in a more relaxed mode as in your photo walk or shopping bimble. By the way, you must read the book 'Norwegian Wood - chopping, stacking, and drying wood the Scandinavian way' by Lars Mytting.

All the best,

Tom.

I find that the secret to exercise is to do something that takes your mind off the fact that you are sweating and in pain. So I took up Iaido 3 years ago.

I have long been interested in Japanese culture - after a childhood spent watching "Shintaro the Samurai" on Australian TV, I suppose. Iaido is a form of Japanese sword training which is heavily influenced by Zen and is sometimes called the "art of drawing the sword". Which sounds prosaic but is really developed from Samurai training to be able to quickly respond to a threat by drawing the sword from the scabbard in a smooth dynamic motion to block and then counter attack.

I find it a very cool and interesting way of exercising which is also quite invigorating but not violent (strangely enough) as this form of training is most often not practiced as a competition between persons, but is practice one conducts by oneself against an imaginary opponent - in our school at least though other forms and schools have different modes of practice and training. We train with a steel or alloy training sword (usually blunt in which case it is called an "iato") or a wooden "bokken" on those occasions when we do train with another person to avoid those unfortunate accidents involving heads rolling across the floor. :^) Even when training with another, the aim is not to win - but rather to perfect ones technique to the highest degree possible. To this end people perform the sport for 20 or 30 years and still claim to be learning new skills. Its the kind of activity which focuses on tiny matters of technique all aimed at producing an elegant and flowing but powerful set of movements which in the real world would have one day meant the difference between life and death. The idea behind this was that fast flowing movements meant the ability to defeat an attacker and being elegant in movements demonstrates mastery and power which helps avoid fights (not that this is something we have to worry about - I usually leave my sword at home when visiting a bar or restaurant :^) ) But that's the theory anyway. This is not a practice that involves big showy jumps etc like we see in the movies - its about projecting an aura of mastery that psychologically dominates anyone who might be inclined to be threaten and hence faces off danger. Again that's the theory at least.

It is if done well it is also very elegant but like, say, ballet it involves a good deal of core body strength and stamina. It is not really an aerobic exercise. But does it work as exercise? Well I will say this - the master of our dojo is 85 years old and still going strong.

The "togs" we dress up in look cool too and for me this is part of the enjoyment. Getting togged up is part of the ritual of becoming a "sempai" and putting oneself into "samurai mode" for an hour or two.

148007_iaido5.jpg

This video gives an idea of how it all works though details differ between schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXR3c-BDVw

Back