Explain your avatar...

My avatar was shot with a Leica M8, a W-Komura 28/3.5 LTM and a 55mm-threaded Yashica Wide Auxilliary lens for the GSN that had it's rear element reversed. No photoshop on this, it's all optics.

It's snap shot in the mirror in the bedroom.

I like the grin, the red patch from my Mamiya t-shirt under my black shirt, doubling as a red heart in a black silhouette.

The torn gypsy hat, that's just my non-conformist part showing.

Mine is an endpaper from this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/6362167087/in/set-72157615594775003

I particularly love the little note bound into it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/6362167419/in/set-72157615594775003/

I have several Kodak booklets of this sort of vintage, but this is quite different - smaller and hard-bound, and is the only non-Kodak one of this age I've ever seen. My only concern is that people might think I'm the lass in my avatar - I'm neither female nor this composed behind the lens!

Adrian

A picture I took with my Yashica-Mat of my five year old son trying to focus my M4-P and collapsible Summicron.
Scan-120514-0009.jpg

My avatar is me. It used to show my M4P, but recently I changed just the camera part to a KSC. So now I can see you in 3D.

I was holding my Minolta Autocord when someone asked, "Is that a camera?" I answered, "Nope, it's my cell phone, see?"

Mine is Mr. Curtis Robinson who I photographed in 2005 as a part of my South Apopka series. I still stop by to visit him but his health is poor.

I was looking for something bold and distinctive back when I joined RFF. This was a high rez scan of a 6x6 neg so I knew it could be cropped substantially. I never considered a photo of myself since I am one of the most ordinary looking people. Plus, the only photos I had of myself were self portraits that would not pass the "skin disclosure" standards here.

Curtis%20Robinson.jpg

Mine is a shot of two fishermen fishing for salmon in a local river, a misty night, shot with my M4, 5cm summicron on trix. Not the original one I had for my nick, but there is some melancholian mood in it, at least for me.

U31312I1280605250.SEQ.0.jpg

Most of you will know my avatar, beeing my 1st M mount camera (Konica Hexar RF). I might change it in a few years.
My nick name is a 30 years old monogram. It was introduced once as the standard three character user id when I started my IT career. I still use it today for many purposes.

My avatar is my initials. At the time I joined RFF,I was putting my initials on dozens of drawings and many documents by hand on paper every day at work. At some point, I recreated my paper signature with a mouse and made it my avatar. It's red, because I used it on another site with a white background, and I wanted it to show up OK in both places. I currently use it only here, and may change it soon as I'm a little sick of it now.

My avatar is a curving line of some of my rangefinder cameras, (one viewfinder Nikonos) I placed on my home office desk one late night, only light by a small desk lamp (25watt)

not much of a need to see larger, very basic,
not much to describe, very basic.

The avatar is a cropped picture of me from 2005/2006 timeframe. (oh, I may be a bit grayer on top now.)

My daughter was visiting and a friend took the picture of us together.

This way you will know me if I ever run into you out there wandering the streets.

Mine is Mr. Curtis Robinson who I photographed in 2005 as a part of my South Apopka series. I still stop by to visit him but his health is poor.

I was looking for something bold and distinctive back when I joined RFF. This was a high rez scan of a 6x6 neg so I knew it could be cropped substantially. I never considered a photo of myself since I am one of the most ordinary looking people. Plus, the only photos I had of myself were self portraits that would not pass the "skin
disclosure" standards here.

Curtis%20Robinson.jpg

When I first joined RFF this avatar gave me a great feeling.The smile is just says it all.

<<<This would be the only Avatar I've ever used here in RFF...
It's a shot taken of our two cats when they were young and outside for the very first time...Max is the jumping blur behind Ally...Ally's ears were in a funny position when I snapped the shot and her expression was priceless...
We still have Max...Ally was a crazy cat and would run away for days...once she was gone for a few months then returned...she left again and hasn't been back since...
Today at lunch my daughter informed me that Max is ten years old...time does indeed fly by...

Me, in a hotel room in Luzern, with X100.
I like to hide behind the camera, the last time someone took my photo and I liked the result was about 55 years ago: me, feeding ducks in park, age about two or three, taken by my father on a Rollei TLR. I look like an old man with a bald head in a big overcoat. If I could find that print I would use it.

self with X100 by DJClark, on Flickr

Last edited:
How this avatar got created is complex.

The original photograph was taken on slide film in July 1980. early morning. Austin, Texas, USA, the day of Willy Nelson's Fourth of July Picnic, to which I was headed. The hibiscus was growing outside the house that I had stayed at the night before, and I was running to catch up with my friends, pausing long enough to take a picture of the bush, with this flower at the center of the picture. It's one of my favorite photographs.

Years later, a friend of mine saw the picture and asked if he could use it as the subject for a painting. He did an acrylic painting that came out very well, and I ended up purchasing the painting at a charity auction (he had donated it to the charity).

While it was hanging on the wall, I took a picture of the painting with a DSLR, converted it to greyscale, cropped it, downsized the heck out of it, and there it is as my avatar.

Mine's of me during one of my earlier investigations into photographic equipment. It was taken in the sping of '53 (I was a little over a year and a half at the time). Dad was taking his usual Easter-time pix. As the years went by my brothers appeared in them one by one.

I still have both the flash (I'm holding only the reflector and probably looking for the rest) and the camera dad used to take the picture (Kodak Vigilante Special, 620 film and the faster f/4.5 lens). Dad tipped over the tripod doing a group photo Xmas '55 breaking the shutter. He gave the non-working camera to me years later, when I was in the 6th grade, to explore. Somewhat to his surprise, I managed to repair the shutter. It still works today nearly 50 years later.

Back