F6 dry fire Shutter?

hap

Well-known
Local time
4:50 AM
I recently acquired a F6. I am not able to dry fire the shutter and there are no hints of how to do it in the manual (as much as I could read). Error message of DX in the LCD. I've trying by selecting manual ISO. It went to frame 1 and refused to fire after that.

Anlybody around here know how to get around the F6 menus and dry fire?
Hap

Must be the equivalent of a digital camera that prevents you from shooting without an inserted SD card. Why did Nikon do this?

Doesn’t the manual explain the menus? I can’t help but wish I had an F6.

BTW EF Canons (some?) fire always at the same shutter speed unless you close the back. Why did Canon do this?

What mode do you have the camera in? If not in manual mode, try that, or shutter priority with the exposure lock button depressed.

BTW you're trying this with the back open or closed?

In program "P" it will show aperture and shutter speed. AF on. no matter what sometimes the shutter will fire if I press the button......but at some time lag .....5-10seconds it will fire.

In program "P" it will show aperture and shutter speed. AF on. no matter what sometimes the shutter will fire if I press the button......but at some time lag .....5-10seconds it will fire.
Maybe try everything on manual mode, including the focus. BTW do you have a lens on the camera?

Another thought is to put a roll of film in and see if that makes a difference.

Maybe try everything on manual mode, including the focus. BTW do you have a lens on the camera?

Another thought is to put a roll of film in and see if that makes a difference.
Vince
thanks for trying to think this through. Lens on camera. Haven't put a roll of film. It should fire without it. It seems that the shutter is on some thing that fires 10s after the shutter button pushed.

I put the camera into manual and lens with both aperture and shutter speed ring. on the F6 both aperture and speed with on camera wheels. that works fine. press the button and "AE-L" pops up on the view finder and 8-10 sec later the shutter fires.

It seems to have a shutter timer only electronic.

"It seems to have a shutter time only electronic"
I should have prompted the manual and ask Bing "why is the camera looking like it has a self time"

Well, gosh durnit...it does!!! there is a wheel on the left top manual rewinding knob. It was set to "timer". YOu set it at one of the icons for something else (that meaning is not known). However, the 10 second shutter lag I should have thought it faster. Case about 90% closed. This camera is above my pay grade. BTW time delay of the self timer can be set to 2,5,or 20s.

If Program all the time is good for Rockwell , I can follow in his footsteps.

other naughty ways : you can use any Nikon lens, except some. Even the ones that are sure bets to work well still have to go into a menu and set things up. You can use a Func list that will give 10 presets for various lenses. the camera has to be modified for non Ai...or some say.

A guy on a Photo.net forum entry sums it up " Like most modern camera manuals, the one for the F6 borders on incomprehensible."

I forgot that the MLU is available on F6 with the same ring as the self timer. stupid it seems. You cannot use the timer at same time as MLU.

Back