facinating new discovery related to the ipad

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
6:01 PM
usb cellular router!!!!

this device allows the use of a usb data stick combined with the router to create your own wireless centre for wifi use.

so my wifi ipad can work anywhere there is cellular coverage.

this may be old news to the techies out there but this old man just found a new toy.

So if I understand correctly u are using the iPad camera kit which has a USB to iPad adapter to connect a USB 3G cellular data router such as Verizon one.

Are u doing this without additional app support?

Gary

So if I understand correctly u are using the iPad camera kit which has a USB to iPad adapter to connect a USB 3G cellular data router such as Verizon one.

Are u doing this without additional app support?

Gary

no.
i have the ipad with wifi.
there is a router that is battery powered that has a usb hook up.
into the router you can plug a usb data stick for 3g coverage that will allow access to the internet on the ipad.

maybe someone else can better 'splain.

I gotcha - router provides the wi-fi, usb stick the 3g coverage, Ipad sits within the router's reach. Still clever, if a bit more bulky

I have the Verizon mifi 3G router. It is better than the 3G iPad in that it does not degrade the HD YouTube, etc.

It is around $60 per month.

I think that is what we are referring to.

I do that with my iphone...jailbreak it, and use an app called MyWi, turns the iphone into a 3G to Wifi router.

Cool! If I could jailbreak an iPad to not have it play in Steve's playpen, I'd get one. I'll get some form of tablet. Maybe a Google Chrome Pad or an Android Pad.

You know there are more exciting things coming up? There is the Adam Tablet by Notion Ink (it has a superior display compared to iPad. Yes). Also there is a very small company where I live (in BLR) who have a tablet sized device with no name. You can stick a 3G data card (via USB) and it works fine. Some really amazing stuff.

If I was waiting on any one device, it would be the Adam.

mi fi...a new term for me.
so much to learn.

with this set up all the wifi devices close by would also work unless I password protect it.

have not bought one yet, will do so tomorrow if I can find one.

The mifis are great, but it's going to be a shortlived device. Many new smartphones can do the same thing, and if you tether your 3G phone to your Windows 7 laptop, depending on your wireless card you can share the connection over WiFi.

Back