Fast AF film P&S

I agree with Juan. Any lens that is 35mm or wider can be scale focused. Much faster than AF. I have a Ricoh GR1 that I use in snap mode because the AF spends too much damn time hunting! If the lens wasn't so good I would've got rid of it a long time a go.

If you don't mind something a little wider, the 28mm Nikon Lite Touch AF has the fastest AF of any P&S that I have yet used. And you won't find many cameras that are more compact.

If you can live without long times of XA2 consider scale focus Konica C35 EF3. Get one w/ colored body and people will not object if you take pictures of them (1m is minimal focusing distance) as it looks like a toy camera. But it's not really a toy. Lens is cracking 5-element thing (they call it Hexanon....welll, decide yourself if it has character).

+1 vote for the Contax T3. Maybe pricey, but with pre-focusing, you can't beat the speed, and it even has a few manual options (e.g. aperture priority)...

Purely out of curiosity- what do you need to shoot that would require AF to be better than what has been listed here? I mean, even if someone came up with the ideal solution, it would still be only a teensy bit better than the others.

I've had, in order: Contax T2, Contax T3, Hexar AF, Leica CM, another T3, Klasse, and now a Stylus Epic. I'm sure there were differences, but i currently have no recollection of which was better re: AF speed. Maybe it's how i use AF? I always do the 'half press' thing to lock/ensure focus and then make the exposure, and i don't shoot moving objects. If you need to focus+expose all in one button press, i kinda think you'll always be disappointed in a non-SLR AF system.

It's really just meant to be an everyday, casual camera, which is why I don't want it to be too big or too expensive. The thing is, everyday for me also means it has to keep up with my very active (and fast) 2 year old. To give you an idea, the Klasse AF speed could not keep up at all, while the Hexar AF could comfortably. Unfortunately, the Hexar is not exactly compact. You see, I just want cheap, small, and super fast AF. Not too much to ask, is it?? ;)

EDIT: I do the half-press the shutter as well. I was not looking for fast "full press" camera. I was looking for a camera that was fast to pre-focus on half-press with none to negligible lag on full press. /EDIT

Zone focus is an option, I suppose, as many have pointed out. By the way, thank you all again for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.

Contax T3. Better metering than my M6 ever had, Sonnar 35/2.8 that rivals all the big primes (including other Zeiss models), totally pocketable (ok...maybe not jeans pocket)...just an extremely nice P&S.

Just look for a camera with "snapshot mode" (infinity lock). There are many.

Snap mode locks focus at, usually, 2.5m (about 10ft).
I wish it would be possible to enter set-up mode and lock focus at my snap distance.

Some cameras have means to electronically set distance, kind of manual focus by LCD. Fuji DL Super Mini and Zoom variety, those in metal body do have MFbyLCD.

Some cameras have means to electronically set distance, kind of manual focus by LCD. Fuji DL Super Mini and Zoom variety, those in metal body do have MFbyLCD.

This takes us back to the GR1v, of which the snap mode can be set to 1m, 2m, 3m and 5m. Zero lag.

How about the Fuji Silvi F2.8?

It offers three preset focus points:

Self-Portrait Mode = Arm length
Quick Shot = Around 2m, I believe
Infinity

But SP and QS only work with 24mm AFAIK.

This takes us back to the GR1v, of which the snap mode can be set to 1m, 2m, 3m and 5m. Zero lag.

I'm content with Fuji DL Super Mini Zoom which also allows to set distance in smaller increments, though 28mm instead of 24mm(?) and full AE instead of Av. But more friendly to my wallet :)

How about the Fuji Silvi F2.8?

It offers three preset focus points:

Self-Portrait Mode = Arm length
Quick Shot = Around 2m, I believe
Infinity

But SP and QS only work with 24mm AFAIK.

Yes, Zoom Date F2.8 aka Silvi is nice camera. SP mode resets after each shot. European Silvi (Zoom Date F2.8) don't have infinity lock. I think Silvi differs having EV correction.

Back