Favourite lens for R-D1/s

I tried quite a few lenses on both R-D1 and M8, so far no lenses beat the results from a well-kept Jupiter 12. If you should find a nice one and put it on either body, you will see what I mean.

I almost shoot with the 35 summicron ASPH on the RD1, as the other one i have is a 50 cron and it's too long for an every day use.
Now i'm waiting for a 25/2.8 Biogon i bought a few days ago to a RFF member. I'm curious to see if this one will be a better all around lens.

Hi Chaps,

I find it's hard to answer this question without being rich. The lenses for this mount tend to be very expensive and i'm guessing if any of you are anything like me you only own 2 or 3 lenses.
Of my current collection : CV 40mm f1.4SC, CV 21mm Color Skop and 28mm m-hexanon i have to say the 28mm is my favorite and newest. Second would be the 40mm SC because of how handy it is in low light and I like the quality of the pics. The 21mm i'm not too sure about, since i got the 28mm it's been gathering dust. Perhaps I should take it out for a spin this weekend :)
I have noticed however with the 28mm that the framelines don't match up at all with the 28mm setting on the RD1

Tom

When I was using this camera, over about 3 years, I usually reverted to the small Rokkor 40/2, though had a great time with the lux 75/1.4, even with it being extra long on the RD1.

Some lenses I used on it and have great photos from are the Noctilux 50/1.0 latest, Hex 50/2, CV 28/3.5, 1.9, 50/1.5, Summilux 75/1.4 (German), J8, J12, I61, J9, 35/2 cron asph, 35/2 cron v4, Zeiss Biogon 28/2.8.

The most useful

The most useful

In spite of having quite an array of lenses (from CV 12 to Konica KM 90), I found out to use mostly the Konica Dual lens 21-35...It almost never leaves my R-D1s.

My 35/2 4th v. summicron never comes off my R-D1, except for portraits when I like my 50/2 collapsible summicron, or indoor architecture for which the 15/4.5 heliar offers great perspectives. Then the 21/4 skopar offers interesting possibilities for landscapes and even wide angle close ups. Oh, and don't forget a nice fast 50 like a Jupiter-3 or other sonnar copy for that dreamy, soft focus look or available light photography when there's not much available light... So you see, you only need one lens (at a time).

I use the 35mm f1.4 Summilux the most. Great image quality and the perfect focal length for most of what I do with it. I have also started using the CV 28mm f3.5. A bit slow for low light work, but a tiny, tiny lens. Also a reasonable fov for groups and parties.

/T

Zeiss ZM 28/2.8. It renders rather coolly on the R-D1 but gives lots of raw material to mess with in your photo editor. Nice and sharp, and pics taken with it feel "filmier" than my other M lenses do on this camera.

Another vote for the CV28 Ultron, the new M mount in my case.
Yet if you want to replicate the 35mm FOV, I would say that the CV25mm is probably a better match (38mm vs 32mm for the CV21mm) especially since you can use the whole finder to approximate the frame while with the 21mm you need an external finder.

40mm Summicron for me..It almost never leaves my R-D1..The bokeh and handling are excellent.

I also recently acquired the 15mm Heliar. I used it extensively in my trip to Chile for the past 15 days..The vignetting is extreme at f8 for bright landscape shots, but stop it down to 5.6 and it is an amazing lens for street photography.

Back