February Announcement : New Interchangeable Fujifilm 'X'

Even when their interchangeable lens camera comes out, I won't change from my x100 - all I need is a good 35mm f2. Everything else is just noise!

What about a 24mm f/2 for the 35mm equivalent angle of view?

I dunno about you guys, but I find 35mm on a 35mm camera to be somewhat wonderful. Unfortunately, the only 35mm lenses I have for my 135 cameras are SLR lenses. I really need a 35 for my Leica, but I won't be buying one for at least a few months.

I'm interested in anyone making this type of camera...because I don't think I'll ever buy another digital M again. I was insane (though happy) to do it with the M9 and I can't see myself spending that cash again.

I'm interested in anyone making this type of camera...because I don't think I'll ever buy another digital M again. I was insane (though happy) to do it with the M9 and I can't see myself spending that cash again.

I wonder how long digital M-models will be in use. I mean, Leica will support each model much longer than P&S and DSLR makers use to do. There must happen something to change idea of near lifetime camera - unavailability of parts or change of approach at the company (latter isn't fair considering initial price). My guess is - when parts will no longer be obtainable.

I agree that the Hexar RF lost some of what made the original Hexar great and unique, most of which was inevitable when moving from a fixed AF lens camera to an interchangeable m-mount. That said, you make it sound like the Hexar RF was a terrible camera that shouldn't have been released. Some people even think that the Hexar RF is what the M7 should've been. I'm not endorsing this view (don't know enough about these cameras to do so) or trying to start another debate here, just trying to illustrate the point that the Hexar RF is not all that bad.

But my real point is that an interchangeable X camera could make a lot of sense. Particularly if they get the viewfinder right and if the sensor is an improvement over the already very, very good X100 sensor (as Fuji seems to be claiming with their allusion to FF sensor performance). Throw in a half-way decent price, and I think you have another X camera hit.

Must say that I'm curious about how Fuji will morph the X100 into an interchangeable lens camera. Especially because of the potential parallels with the Konica Hexar to Hexar-RF transition.

The original fixed lens auto focus Hexar was so well thought out, such a marvelous integration of functions and photographic concepts that it was nothing short of perfect. Everything was tuned to that splendid 35/2 lens. On the RF, the interchangeability aspect spoilt all that.. the finder had to be multi-purpose, the tuning of functions to lens was lost, and worst, most of the brightest ideas behind the AF-Hexar were ditched. This included the aperture-preference approach in P-mode, that flash and ambient in a single shot could be made at two different apertures, automatic focus compensation for infra-red film, the list goes on and on.. Good as it is as an autoexposure rangefinder, the Hexar-RF is miles behind the original AF-Hexar, and as far as I can see spelled the end of Konica as a camera company.

One can only hope that Fuji does things differently.. Keep the good things of the X100 in, and most of all, a proprietary lens mount that allows all the same functions and integration as its predecessor.

I agree that the Hexar RF lost some of what made the original Hexar great and unique, most of which was inevitable when moving from a fixed AF lens camera to an interchangeable m-mount. That said, you make it sound like the Hexar RF was a terrible camera...
Certainly not meant to make it sound that way. The Hexar RF is a great rangefinder with helpful automation thrown in. It's just that the original AF-Hexar tied everything together in a unique way that I haven't seen in any other camera since.

Must say that I'm curious about how Fuji will morph the X100 into an interchangeable lens camera. Especially because of the potential parallels with the Konica Hexar to Hexar-RF transition...
...One can only hope that Fuji does things differently.. Keep the good things of the X100 in, and most of all, a proprietary lens mount that allows all the same functions and integration as its predecessor.

I can see your points. It depends on the lens strategy Fuji will go. If it should be M-compatible (like the Hexar RF is), you will be forced deleting many modern features like AF, shutter priority, full program mode, clean and simple VF etc.

I suppose Fuji will push the button on an own X-lens line (hopefully with a flange distance you may still adapt M-lenses). A new lens line could save most of the goodies of the X100.
What I'm very curious is what approach they will follow regarding the VF:
  • Will we see an evolution of the X100 hybrid VF technolgy?
  • With added zooming ability? (Contax G approach)
  • With superimposed electronic focus help?
  • With OLED EVF only? (NEX-7 approach)
Exciting weeks to follow...

I can see your points. It depends on the lens strategy Fuji will go. If it should be M-compatible (like the Hexar RF is), you will be forced deleting many modern features like AF, shutter priority, full program mode, clean and simple VF etc.

I suppose Fuji will push the button on an own X-lens line (hopefully with a flange distance you may still adapt M-lenses). A new lens line could save most of the goodies of the X100.
What I'm very curious is what approach they will follow regarding the VF:
  • Will we see an evolution of the X100 hybrid VF technolgy?
  • With added zooming ability? (Contax G approach)
  • With superimposed electronic focus help?
  • With OLED EVF only? (NEX-7 approach)
Exciting weeks to follow...

An 'M' mount does not mean that you need to give up anything. It just means that Fuji would need to design electrical contacts that can work with the 'M' mount design. So, technically this would be a new mount with the ability to mount the 'M' manual lenses.

Any chance this new camera will be like the older Fujifilm SLR interchangeable-lens cameras, meaning that it will use the Nikon F mount?

if an x??? comes out, with interchangeable primes, i will do a dance (which won't be pretty).

i suspect, with the amount of x100's i have seen lately, a few colleagues and friends will be dancing with me!

An 'M' mount does not mean that you need to give up anything. It just means that Fuji would need to design electrical contacts that can work with the 'M' mount design. So, technically this would be a new mount with the ability to mount the 'M' manual lenses.

Advantages:
- You can mount M-mount lenses without an adapter
- That's it

Disadvantages:
- You have a mount with a long flangeback distance
- You have a mount with a relatively narrow throat, more so if you account for the now-useless rangefinder cam collar
- You have a relatively large mount that uses more material than it really needs
- You have a complex design challenge for the contacts (either put them inside the throat and be flamed to death on the Internet because some 1957 lens isn't compatible, or put them in the bayonet flange à la Pentax K for compatibility and have a mechanically more complex and expensive spring design)
- People will mount your lenses on Leicas and complain how they don't work, the rangefinder doesn't engage, the image circle is too small etc.

In other words, it's not going to happen. If it was worth it, someone would have done it. Adapters are here to stay.

I hope Fuji goes with its own mount and makes fresh lenses to go with it. Fuji's no slouch at lens making and I'd rather have a slew of lenses that are relatively cheap (compared to leica) and made for the camera body. Then again, I'm not opposed to AF either.

I wonder if the mount will be an m or an F, I mean considering the Fuji and Nikon history..

Aye, to use your big and heavy Nikon glass designed for a mirror box on a mirrorless camera.

Then why VF (completely obscured) and why a Fuji? NEX does all that.

I hope Fuji goes with its own mount and makes fresh lenses to go with it. Fuji's no slouch at lens making and I'd rather have a slew of lenses that are relatively cheap (compared to leica) and made for the camera body. Then again, I'm not opposed to AF either.

+1

Even with a new mount, it shouldn't stop people from making adapters for M, LTM, Contax, Nikon, etc.

New Hint: Test Mules Already Exist

New Hint: Test Mules Already Exist

The Fuji Guys:

"I am also preparing for my visit to Tokyo in November to test out and learn all i can about the Interchangeable Lens Camera."

Sounds like Fuji is much further along than we might have guessed. Perhaps they will be able to fill the NEX-7 void.

Back