New York February NYC Meet-Up/ Ninth Annual Camera Beauty Contest

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
4:01 PM
Snarky Joe, AKA Sneaky Joe, suggests that we should schedule the Ninth Annual Beauty Contest for Sunday the 24rd of February.

Sneaky Joe revealed to me that he too like Sam possibly has hit the tipping point where he could be identified as a "collector." Not sure this would be considered "Full Disclosure" by just telling one person with a TV news background some inside information that likely would be broadcast.

Joe should know better and that I'm a "Smut-Queen." LOL.

So we now have a Grand-Prize that was kindly donated by Philippe: a working Olympus PEN EE-2 that is a film half frame point and shoot that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Remember the only rule strictly enforced: "No Biting."

This camera you can preview at the January Meet-Up. I'll try and printn out a copy of the owner's manual.

Chris dropped off a shopping bag of surplus gear. The December Meet-Up was small, and only a handful of people showed up. Ignacio, the lucky dog, got a free working Leica point and shoot; Joe kept some biz-ZAR lens; and I kept an unopened can of Agfa 100 ISO film and an opened box of 4x5 HP5. I also decided to keep these LTM extension tubes that compliment and offset the set of extension tubes that came with my Leica Copy Stand.

Still lots of stuff to fight over to give away as prizes. There is a Minolta 35, which is a LTM rangefinder that includes a 50/2.8 Super Rokkor with the distance scale marked in feet only. Only flaws are a dented filter ring, and one of the shutter curtains let go. I can fire the shutter.

There is this remarkable Leica focusing helicoil that is mint NOS including box. Definitely will have to do some forensics on this device.

There is a Kodak Ektar 152 lens made for a Graflex Graphic Supermatic. The glass is clean and when I exercised the shutter the speeds seem spot on.

There is a 127 Ektar which Cris stated is a remarkable lens. It comes mounted on a Polaroid MP-4 shutter, but lacks any aperture.

There is a Leica flash unit that includes flash bulbs. Chris claims that it works. Comes with half the box and spares. I think Sam and Jim would go head to head for this treasure. Really fits Jim's style though.

There is a remarkable brown leather Leica bag that features a removable "pallet" that has three Leica M-bayonet mounts and a M-body holster. Pretty much a case for a 3-4 lens M-body kit that is mucho retro.

So looks to be a very rowdy Camera Beauty Contest in 2019. This will be our ninth year.

Also know that Chris has a box of more surplus gear incoming that he will bring to work to give me. Some of this stuff will be gifted in the January Meet-Up, but some of this stuff will be reserved as prizes. I'll bring the reserved stuff to the January Meet-Up to serve as a "pre-view."

I would suggest bringing a bag or knapsack to the January or February Meet-Up.

Cal

Since "Snarky Joe" seems to have a LTM ringer, I decided to increase my odds by creating a new catagory: a well worn camera catagory.

I'm not talking a camara that was distressed on purpose. I want honest wear. A good example is Phil's M4 that was destroyed and then resurrected that served him In Irac. These are cameras where the shots were the most important and placed first.

I'll be bringing my F3P that served in "Operation Desert Storm" and was a real "Press" camera not available to the general public. I'll also bring my 1952 Linhof 4x5 Tech 4/Tech 5 that has the original real leather covering that has taken on this beautifut "patina." Pretty much is just the opposite of Joe's shelf-queen Linhof that was a time capsule.

Let's have a well worn camera catagory. Only rules are: camera has to function; and honest wear only.

Cal

I already downloaded and printed the user'owner's manual for the Olympus PEN EE-2 Grand Prize.

I also downloaded the owner's manual for a GoPro Hero 7 "Black" which is the more full featured version of the Hero 7. I got a chest plate to wear the GoPro as a body-cam, along with two extra batteries.

Lucky thing is that B&H offered an in-store rebate of $80.00 that pretty much paid for much of the accessories. Pretty much luck on Christmas Eve or divine intervention.

"Maggie" has an extra Iphone to give me, but I'll have to pay for smartphone service and set up my account. As far as clueless hipster I'm kind of a totally blank slate. This will be a challenge. LOL.

If I get things set up I think I will have the capability to live stream our Camera Beauty Contest.

I'm hoping that this unused older I-Mac that I bought off of "Maggie" can be used as my dedicated video computer. From what I glean I'll likely have to learn Premier Pro. I hope the work around for me is heavy use of an external Lacie 2T hard drive for storage might allow me to use a not so hyper and advanced new computer.

The smut is that "in the street" I tend to meet many interesting people. Joe, Pro-Mone and others say I kinda draw out the "crazies" and just too many things seem to happen to me.

One time Joe and I were riding our bikes near "Blissville" in a grave yard. This car drives towards us, stops and this guy gets out and begins talking to me while kinda ignoring and avoiding Joe.

This guy in an unsolicited manner indicates that the grave of some infamous mobster is buried nearby and points to the location. Then he reveals some smut about the Mafia, and when I enquire how he knows so much history he reveals that his dad was a mobster.

I didn't think much of what occurred, but Joe kinda pointed out that stuff like that never-ever happens to him. He kinda pointed out that I have a real propensity for meeting strange, odd and crazy people that perhaps in a Diane Arbus kinda way are interesting.

So when seven of us took the Megabus to Philly to group up with three of us from Philly to shoot Eastern State Penitentuary we were told to avoid North and West sections of the city. Of course that is where we eventually headed.

This man took note that we were out of place, so out of our group I'm the lucky guy who gets approached and asked, "What are you doing here?"

When I mentioned that we went to Eastern State Penitentuary to shoot, this man who I would later learn was known as "Popcorn," but his real name was John, had a father who spent time at Eastern State Penitentuary back in the day (was officially closed down in 1972) for beating a man with a two by four.

So generally I end up making another acquaintance and then use the opportunity to do a "Street Portrait."

"Maggie" thinks if I can capture some of these chance encounters that they would do well. Let's see...

Cal

Leica VSPOO mystery: I wanted to know the smut on this focusing stage and learned that is a focusing stage for a 50 Cron to be used inconjuction with a macro device called a "Focoslide" that dates back to the 1930's AKA "FULDY."

So the VSPOO (16685) is basically an accessory for a FULDY.

The one Chris donated is NOS in box. In my searching one was on EBAY with box for $30.00 BIN.

Lens mount is LTM.

Cal

I have this jig-saw puzzle of Rhyanna in a red teddy that "Maggie" was sent as a promotional item. It is unopened in a quart sized paint can.

I want to offer this item as a prize for the "Sexy Camera" category. I had a salesman at Cameta Camera out on Long Island explain to me that a black paint Nikon F2 is the, "Sexiest camera ever made."

I do see his point, but are their other sexy cameras out there?

Cal

I have this jig-saw puzzle of Rhyanna in a red teddy that "Maggie" was sent as a promotional item. It is unopened in a quart sized paint can.

I want to offer this item as a prize for the "Sexy Camera" category. I had a salesman at Cameta Camera out on Long Island explain to me that a black paint Nikon F2 is the, "Sexiest camera ever made."

I do see his point, but are their other sexy cameras out there?

Cal

The black F2 is certainly a looker. So are the Kodak Retinas - compact, sleek and with killer lenses!

Other sexy cameras in my opinion:
Konica Hexar (black); Leica IIIG; mint condition Pentax Spotmatic w/ 50mm f/1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar; Pentax LX; Nikon SP w/ 3.5cm f/1.8; Wista SP; Nikon F4s; Wisner Zone VI; stripped and restored Gundlach Korona VI 5x7; Arriflex 16S.
Phil Forrest

The black F2 is certainly a looker. So are the Kodak Retinas - compact, sleek and with killer lenses!

Raj,

Sex sells. I still lust for a black F2. Over the decades I've owned many, and currently have none. I thought my Leica SL2-MOT of around the same era as the F2 would satisfy me, but I still have lust for a black paint F2. Kinda like a first girlfriend. Know that a F2 was my first camera from when I was in art school.

This Ryanna jig-saw puzzle is an interesting trophy. I'm curious to see the puzzle assembled. The outside of the container shows what the contents looks like.

Cal

Other sexy cameras in my opinion:
Konica Hexar (black); mint condition Pentax Spotmatic w/ 50mm f/1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar; Pentax LX; Nikon SP w/ 3.5cm f/1.8; Wista SP; Nikon F4s; Wisner Zone VI; stripped and restored Gundlach Korona VI 5x7; Arriflex 16S.
Phil Forrest

Phil,

Nikon SP with 3.5/1.8.

John Chee has one that is the reissue from 2005.

I own a Nikkor 35/1.8 in LTM. If I didn't I would love a 2005 SP with 35/1.8.

Wouldn't mind even a chrome one.

Cal

A black F2 is a thing of beauty, I have that chrome Nikon S3 which are nice
looking as well.

Bob,

The styling (Art Deco like) of Nikon rangefinders I find as being timeless. The rangefinders and F2 have a similar sense of styling. Very classic.

Cal

Raj,

Sex sells. I still lust for a black F2. Over the decades I've owned many, and currently have none. I thought my Leica SL2-MOT of around the same era as the F2 would satisfy me, but I still have lust for a black paint F2. Kinda like a first girlfriend. Know that a F2 was my first camera from when I was in art school.

This Ryanna jig-saw puzzle is an interesting trophy. I'm curious to see the puzzle assembled. The outside of the container shows what the contents looks like.

Cal

Cal,

If I make it back to NYC in time for Feb's meetup, I'll bring along an F2 or two, and you can let your lust run wild! :)

Cal,

If I make it back to NYC in time for Feb's meetup, I'll bring along an F2 or two, and you can let your lust run wild! :)

Raj,

I'm sure "Evil Joe" will drag out some of his F2's to torment me.

For something different I'll bring out my GoPro Hero 7. I have a chest plate so basically it is like wearing a body cam. Has an ultra-wide FOV.

Cal

Last night I was checking out the Minolta 35, which is a model II. This LTM camera will be offered as a prize and it comes with a 50/2.8 Rokkor lens. The bad is that one of the curtains is not working, but the camera fires. Perhaps someone like Bob, Christian, Phil or Sam could do the repair. Also the lens is stiff and the filter thread is dented.

This camera has some remarkable features: for one it has a rear door that opens like a Nikon F2; it has a very tall collar that works like a shutter lock; it has a eyepiece that screws outward as a diopter.

I can see someone using this camera as an every day carry because it is small, has cool vibe, and pretty much is just a basic camera. The shutter speeds are modern (1/125th versers 1/100) and I think the lens with the distance scale marked only in feet is very elegant.

The strap lugs are these little tabs and the front face has this big square that surrounds the lens mount. Overall an interesting camera that needs a little TLC.

So my Tower (Nicca 45) is the only other LTM camera I have seen that has a rear door for easy film loading. The Minolta Model II has an improvement over say a III G because of the rear door.

Cal

Last night I was checking out the Minolta 35, which is a model II. This LTM camera will be offered as a prize and it comes with a 50/2.8 Rokkor lens. The bad is that one of the curtains is not working, but the camera fires. Perhaps someone like Bob, Christian, Phil or Sam could do the repair. Also the lens is stiff and the filter thread is dented.

This camera has some remarkable features: for one it has a rear door that opens like a Nikon F2; it has a very tall collar that works like a shutter lock; it has a eyepiece that screws outward as a diopter.

I can see someone using this camera as an every day carry because it is small, has cool vibe, and pretty much is just a basic camera. The shutter speeds are modern (1/125th versers 1/100) and I think the lens with the distance scale marked only in feet is very elegant.

The strap lugs are these little tabs and the front face has this big square that surrounds the lens mount. Overall an interesting camera that needs a little TLC.

So my Tower (Nicca 45) is the only other LTM camera I have seen that has a rear door for easy film loading. The Minolta Model II has an improvement over say a III G because of the rear door.

Cal

I have one of these Minolta 35's - lovely little cameras, as you say. Unfortunately mine has a light leak, which might be from the curtains where they meet (my lack of aptitude for repairs is no doubt obvious from the description) - I'm not sure if I'll go to the trouble of having it repaired. Apart from mechanically minded RFFers, who would repair these? I asked Youxin Ye, and he doesn't work on them.

Raj

I have one of these Minolta 35's - lovely little cameras, as you say. Unfortunately mine has a light leak, which might be from the curtains where they meet (my lack of aptitude for repairs is no doubt obvious from the description) - I'm not sure if I'll go to the trouble of having it repaired. Apart from mechanically minded RFFers, who would repair these? I asked Youxin Ye, and he doesn't work on them.

Raj

Raj,

I speculate that Nippon Camera Clinic would be capable.

Cal

Not sure when Chris will deliver to me the box of surplus camera gear to redistribute and recycle.

He mentioned he might bring this box to where we work, but thus far it did not happen.

Maybe he will bring this box to the January Meet-Up.

In the December Meet-Up he brought a shopping bag full of goodies. Ignacio, the lucky dog, got a free Leica point and shoot. How cool is it to get a free Leica and free gear.

Philippe donated a working PEN F half frame camera that will be one of the prizes. This is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Also I printed out an owners manual off the Internet.

Remember the only rule strictly enforced in this bare knuckle competition of our annual Camera Beauty Contest: "No biting."

This year's focus will be on LTM cameras. We have a Minolta 35 Model II with a 50/2.8 Super Rokkor LTM lens avalable as a prize. The shutter fires, but one of the curtains is not working. What is cool about this LTM camera is that it features a rear door like from a Nikon F2.

Be on alert that "Sneaky Joe" likely has a ringer, but I suspect that Sam or Jim from Philly might flank him.

Cal

For those who have a bag fetish, one prize will be this brown leather Leica bag that features a removable pallet that contains three separate Leica M-mounts.

Very retro, but interestingly of M-mount. Designed to carry a 3-4 lens M-body kit.

Mucho thanks to our hero Chris for the donation of this prize and many others.

The fighting over free gear should be rather fierce this year.

"No-Biting."

Cal

Don't forget the "Sexy Camera Competion."

The prize is this promotional jigsaw puzzle of Rhiana wearing a red lace Teddy. Packaged in a one quart paint can with promotional shot of the contents on the exterior as a tease.

Seems like a bias exists for Nikon F2's and Nikon rangefinders.

Cal

GRAND PRIZE: Donated by Philippe a working PEN F half frame camera.

There is a stipulation that the winner of this camera has to use it and post shots taken with this camera.

This is a cool camera that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It has much style. 72 shots per roll so you can blast away.

Cal

Back