New York February NYC Meet-Up/ Tenth Annual Camera Beauty Contest

Cal,
Devil Christian and I have been PMing back and forth, I'll send him directly the "rubber wheel" when I uncover it in my studio. LOL.

I have gotten it to pull unperfed 70mm color neg through the A70s, so he thinks he can prolly get it to function in Linhofs. We will see.

Know that I sent a rubber wheel to a friend in British Columbia, who was going to peddle the idea to Tom Abrahamsson's Machinist, but I never heard anything more about the scenario. Christian should roll with this as it is a kewl mod.

Also know that Matt Abelson (Sneebot) and I are Plaubel Makiflex Buds. He once commented that my many projects are "sick". LOL

-Dan

Dan,

Kinda funny how we are exploiting his talents. Like I said, "He is stubborn." LOL.

My Technair is moving right along.

I'll be using a 90/6.8 Schneider Super Augulon that came with the 1952 4x5 Tech IV/V. It needs the shutter to be retimed and a cleaning.

I counted 22 packs of Fuji FP-100, one pack of FP-3000, and a partial pack of FP-3000 in a Linhof Polaroid back, so pretty much enough to do a project that could easily become a book. The story of building the camera surely will include Devil Dan and Devil Christian as "characters." LOL.

So my idea is a "fixed-focus" camera. Know that with a 28 (Black Canon 28/3.5) I would stop it down to F5.6 and set the focus at 7 feet to exploit a "kill-Zone" of 4 1/2 to 10 feet to do street photography.

Pretty much I want to replicate this technic but in a 4x5. A 90mm in 4x5 translates into a 25mm FOV, and then again DOF is shallower in large format, so using high speed film is a given.

Last night I studied the DOF chart on the Linhof hood and took note of the toll of defraction as you stop down.

I likely will use a bicycle grip and go lolliepop style like your "Handy."

Of course Devil Christian reminds me how I can shim the offset and change the fixed focus. Also he reminded me of how modular Linhof's are and that I can easily convert my camera.

I always admired a Sylvestri due to the elegant modular design, but it is mighty cool making a one-off home brew that has mucho style.

Know that in "Flash" the story of WeeGee the famous the author reveal that almost all of WeeGee's shots were either shot at 7 feet or ten feet. I have this in common with him.

Louis Mendez showed me this back some Frenchman made for him that adds an external battery and fits a Fuji Instax wide modified into a back that mounts on his Crown Graphic. Right now Luis is likely in NOLA for Marty-Gras. Every year he invites me to go with him. How cool is that?

Thanks to you I own a JOBO 3013 for my 15 foot 70mm reels, but this tank can also do 4x5, and again thanks to you I have a Uniroller that I found for no-money on EBAY.

BTW please confirm how often the direction gets changed. Is it every revolution, or is it by time?

Cal

Blad Ringlight Makiflex Norman 200b by Nokton48, on Flickr

Back in the eighties ringlight was HOT HOT HOT. Every fashion photographer was doing it. This is my brand new rig; a Hasselblad Ringlight, converted to power from a 200WS Norman 200b power packs.

New York City Flash Clinic put this together for me (prolly one of hundreds). Sadly they are history.

I just got three new sets of brand new lead acid batteries batteries, and replaced my twenty year old (dead) ones which I also bought new.
I'm going to use this for Makiflex fashion 9x9cm photography. This camera syncs at 1/15 focal plane, but you could also use it with a Norma.

Also all this stuff works with my Norman 200b portable systems.

BTW please confirm how often the direction gets changed. Is it every revolution, or is it by time?

It changes by revolution. Put the Jobo on there with some water in it and spin it. You are good as long as it spins the entire drum (it should by a bit) before it reverses. You should be fine.

I have the 9x12cm European version of that JOBO. Uber rare.

Blad Ringlight Makiflex Norman 200b by Nokton48, on Flickr

Back in the eighties ringlight was HOT HOT HOT. Every fashion photographer was doing it. This is my brand new rig; a Hasselblad Ringlight, converted to power from a 200WS Norman 200b power packs.

New York City Flash Clinic put this together for me (prolly one of hundreds). Sadly they are history.

I just got three new sets of brand new lead acid batteries batteries, and replaced my twenty year old (dead) ones which I also bought new.
I'm going to use this for Makiflex fashion 9x9cm photography. This camera syncs at 1/15 focal plane, but you could also use it with a Norma.

Also all this stuff works with my Norman 200b portable systems.

Dan,

I'm on the fence about going WeeGee myself with going with a Leica SF-C1 flash controller and a SF-60 flash.

Know that I have this magnetic lock-block that machinists use and for optical benches that has a 1/4-20 thread. Pretty much I could use any street sign as a light stand. Imagine ambusing some passerby. The guide number is 60 so I have enough power to blind people and disable them. LOL.

"Maggie" has a ringlight, but it is not a high powered small one like yours. It would suit me fine for now for two point lighting.

At the SL2 Launch they had a demo with a live model using the equipment mentioned above. The SL2 was tethered to a Mac. Mucho speedy, but instead of a ring light they had diffused light supplied from a tungstun lamp.

I can secure these items pre-Trump Tariff pricing. Currently I'm waiting for my tax returns.

Pretty much all my disposable income goes to photography. LOL.

Cal

It changes by revolution. Put the Jobo on there with some water in it and spin it. You are good as long as it spins the entire drum (it should by a bit) before it reverses. You should be fine.

I have the 9x12cm European version of that JOBO. Uber rare.

Dan,

I bought my Uniroller for $29.99. Got it for "no-money because the reversing did not work.

I modded it to make it one directional, but I could add a manual reversing switch, or manually rotate the drum 180 degrees to reverse the direction.

I'm sure I come up with some Calzone Lazy-Slacker solution.

I'll time it out and see how long it takes to make one revolution, and then I gauge what to do.

Thanks.

Kinda funny how this thread has become a "stream of conciousnes" on photography by obsessives. Only on RFF. LOL.

Cal

It has a "paddle" inside that flips a micro switch.

Replace the paddle and you will be good to go.

I've done it many years ago.

Cal...

Street light posts are generally alumimum...

MFM,

True. I forgot. My little brother took one down with a Dodge Dart with a slant six. Designed to snap when hit by a car. He got sued by the town for the replacement.

I know Stop sign poles are steel/ferres, but I think the signs themselves are likely aluminum. I'll check.

Cal

John,

I miss you too. Lots of fighting and arguing in the old days.

All in good fun. :)

Now I am truely getting old. Life is so different now. With retirement it is like being a teenager all over again where it is like confronting the question: "What am I going to do for the next 40 years" all over again.

In my case I will enjoy luxury and a rich retirement. My past as living somewhat like a guy who buys Leica and lives like a dirtbag is going to pay off.

I am sure you will figure it out... I work a lot less in Chile and it feels good. If I didn`t have to work, and had money, I`d figure out what to do very easily.

I'm doing the second half of an adult ed retirement planning, and figure somehow my fixed income in retirement somehow will exceed my present salary. How did that happen?

You were always planning... and planning since I have known you.

Also know that the SL2 makes me mucho happy. I have been waiting 4 years for this camera, and it does seem Leica built it especially for me. When in fact they kinda did: NDA.

How did that happen?

Cool...I am still a Fuji geek.

Kinda funny if you read "Flash" a biography about WeeGee. Pretty much a shy guy who ends up going over the top. Looks like I might have to buy a crazy flash kit for a "Maggie" gig. I'm getting there, where I'm doing some crazy things.

Looks like a 4x5 Kill-Zone fixed focus (7-feet) camera will cleverly be built soon. I think it would make both an interesting story and a cool book.

Interesting to note that WeeGee was known to basically shoot at only two distances: 7 feet and 10 feet. Pretty much that is what I kinda do.

Yeah, I know about Weegee. Interesting character. The book was good?

My "Kill-Zone" with a 28 FOV was always targeting 7 feet. Remember that biker that I shot from the hip? After I developed the film you asked me if I got the shot. Pretty much was great with perfect framing whithout looking through a VF'er. Basically I shot from the hip because he approached us so fast.

Cool...

It has a "paddle" inside that flips a micro switch.

Replace the paddle and you will be good to go.

I've done it many years ago.

I’m curious how this works. Presumably it flips at one rotation of a unidrum. Jobo drums come in 3 sizes. The 2500 series is probably similar to a unidrum. The expert drum is larger though, so I would be worried that it would reverse before completing a rotation. Perhaps there is a way of modding the mechanism to reverse less often.
I develop on a roller I built with rollerblade wheels and spin the drum by hand a few rotations one way, and then the other.

All in good fun. :)

I am sure you will figure it out... I work a lot less in Chile and it feels good. If I didn`t have to work, and had money, I`d figure out what to do very easily.

You were always planning... and planning since I have known you.

Cool...I am still a Fuji geek.

Yeah, I know about Weegee. Interesting character. The book was good?

Cool...

John,

You surely had a strong influence on me.

My planning has paid off. Somehow I unexpectedly became wealthy. How did that happen?

Moral of the story is to live somewhat of a dirtbag life, buy Leicas and expensive watches to remind myself I'm not poor, but live well below my means and save money to invest. In my case not buying a house or apartment paid off. Don't waste money buying cheap stuff: buy the good stuff to keep.

Quality of life is important. This I learned from Christian. Also traveling to Europe showed me how I lived in an American/NYC bubble.

With little stress I am truely happy. Being lazy comes naturally. LOL. Not having to sell my art means all I have to do is please myself.

"Flash" is a book I found on the street that someone left in a pile of books to be recycled. It is a book I am going to keep, even though I'm culling down to keep life simple.

Deep inside WeeGee was a shy insecure man who used a persona as a defense mechanism. This resonates for me, and is truely who I am. Calzone pretty much is a persona of a guy who kinda has an arrested development of perhaps a child stuck as a ten-year old who kinda never grew up, yet became an old man.

Cal

I’m curious how this works. Presumably it flips at one rotation of a unidrum. Jobo drums come in 3 sizes. The 2500 series is probably similar to a unidrum. The expert drum is larger though, so I would be worried that it would reverse before completing a rotation. Perhaps there is a way of modding the mechanism to reverse less often.
I develop on a roller I built with rollerblade wheels and spin the drum by hand a few rotations one way, and then the other.

Christian,

The reason for reversing is even development. Snarky Joe makes a point that the ribs inside a JOBO can create a shadow of sorts, but then again the violent switching likely causes turbulence.

I like gentile aggitation, even if I have to add more time. I think this lends itself to a more compensating effect (moderating contrast) even with solvent developers, also it promotes finer grain.

Unirollers with worn switching cams can be easily modded to have a manual switch. Alternatively the drum could be lifted and placed back on the rollers after rotating 180 degrees (longitudically).

If I have the time I can visit my warehouse (Public Storage) to retrieve my JOBO tank and Uniroller to investigate and do forensics. CSI RFF.

BTW I have a very cool car-cuss to buld a 4x5 camera. Too Cool a find. How about a lightweight 4x5 camera?

Cal

Focus Test Makiflex Std Super Cinephor F2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

DSC01430 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Focus Test with Makiflex Std F2 B&L Super Cinephor Motion Picture Theater Projection lens. Expired 4x5" Ilford Commercial Ortho rated at EI 50 Test target 45 degrees to wall in my studio. 6 seconds at F2 Focused on central dot. Processed in straight replenished Acufine 15 minutes tray development by safelight 65F ambient 8x10 #2 Aristo RC print Multigrade developer. Full Makiflex 9x9cm image and full 4x5 image printed full frame.

Christian,

The reason for reversing is even development. Snarky Joe makes a point that the ribs inside a JOBO can create a shadow of sorts, but then again the violent switching likely causes turbulence.

I like gentile aggitation, even if I have to add more time. I think this lends itself to a more compensating effect (moderating contrast) even with solvent developers, also it promotes finer grain.

Unirollers with worn switching cams can be easily modded to have a manual switch. Alternatively the drum could be lifted and placed back on the rollers after rotating 180 degrees (longitudically).

If I have the time I can visit my warehouse (Public Storage) to retrieve my JOBO tank and Uniroller to investigate and do forensics. CSI RFF.

BTW I have a very cool car-cuss to buld a 4x5 camera. Too Cool a find. How about a lightweight 4x5 camera?

Cal

Cal, the point I was trying to make was that with a larger drum it may not complete a full rotation if used as designed. Modding it or running it continuously would be required. I never got one of these unirollers or beseler motor basses because I develop 35mm and 120 in the 1500 series tanks, and there is no clearance on these rollers for the fat orange rim on these tanks. I would want a solution for all my tanks. My manual solution is working well, it just means I have to stand there spinning the tank by hand. I'm ok with that.

Cal, the point I was trying to make was that with a larger drum it may not complete a full rotation if used as designed. Modding it or running it continuously would be required. I never got one of these unirollers or beseler motor basses because I develop 35mm and 120 in the 1500 series tanks, and there is no clearance on these rollers for the fat orange rim on these tanks. I would want a solution for all my tanks. My manual solution is working well, it just means I have to stand there spinning the tank by hand. I'm ok with that.

Christian, you clever devil, make a good point that I never considered.

Snarky Joe's comment also makes the point of violent aggitation likely occurs as developer slushes around during a direction change.

For me control, IQ, fine grain, and smooth gentile aggitation are important.

I kinda love that my JOBO can do 4x5 sheet films and can accommodate three 70mm fifteen foot reels. Of course with the 70mm reels the JOBO is used as an inversion tank.

Cal

Elastic marks, scratches. I've tried. I'd do open tray before taco.

Christian,

Taco a wheel refers to laying down a bike and bending a wheel so it resembles a "Taco."

I fondly remember removing the wheel and "straightening" it enough using a tree as a stationary object to beat the wheel against to get it straight enough to spin mounted in the frame with the quick release open on the rear brakes just to get back to the Jeep.

Cal

John,

You surely had a strong influence on me.

My planning has paid off. Somehow I unexpectedly became wealthy. How did that happen?

Moral of the story is to live somewhat of a dirtbag life, buy Leicas and expensive watches to remind myself I'm not poor, but live well below my means and save money to invest. In my case not buying a house or apartment paid off. Don't waste money buying cheap stuff: buy the good stuff to keep.

Glad to hear that Cal. In my case, I think I will buy an apartment or two in Santiago for retirement. The prices are still low here with a trajectory like NYC for growth. In the meantime, I can get rent.

Quality of life is important. This I learned from Christian. Also traveling to Europe showed me how I lived in an American/NYC bubble.

Yeah, living in Chile has been an eye opening experience with regards to life in the USA. I've relaxed in many ways and have been detoxed on the US way a bit. I still like the USA, but I enjoy life here more I think.

Deep inside WeeGee was a shy insecure man who used a persona as a defense mechanism. This resonates for me, and is truely who I am. Calzone pretty much is a persona of a guy who kinda has an arrested development of perhaps a child stuck as a ten-year old who kinda never grew up, yet became an old man.

Cal

I think this goes for me too. Hopefully I can find that book somewhere.

Glad to hear that Cal. In my case, I think I will buy an apartment or two in Santiago for retirement. The prices are still low here with a trajectory like NYC for growth. In the meantime, I can get rent.

Yeah, living in Chile has been an eye opening experience with regards to life in the USA. I've relaxed in many ways and have been detoxed on the US way a bit. I still like the USA, but I enjoy life here more I think.

I think this goes for me too. Hopefully I can find that book somewhere.

John,

PM me your address. I'll gift it to you. This is better than recycling.

How true that we as men can admit that we have personas and defense mechanisms.

Nothing like NYC, but then again there are happier places. When I was in Europe and then came back to the U.S. I found the disparity of wealth, the haves and the have not's to be in my face.

Out of all my moaning about not being able to afford buying a home, well that is not true any longer. I expect some comfort, but nothing big. We already have a down payment of about 50% in cash.

Cal

Back