Fed 5 (USSR)

According to Google Translate using screen capture: On Grandfather Stepan's Birthday From Grandma Olya's Tepan November 1983.

Not sure how accurate that is!

I read the engraving on the camera as "To Kostya from Grandma and Grandpa, November 1983." Very nice engraving, I might add.

As for the writing on the box bottom, harder to make out but it looks like "On [your] birthday from Grandpa Stepan [?] and Grandma Oli [Olga?] November 1983 to Konstantin from all our souls [not sure about this part -- maybe better, "with all our love"?]

I like the personalization, especially since it is a gift from the grandparents. Too bad Kostya could not keep it.

PF

OK, this just in from my darling friend from St. Petersburg:

On birthday
from
grandpa Stepan
and
grandma Olya
november 1983 year
(to) Konstantin
from
all of our soul

Word by word! The way it is written.

Ran a test roll through the FED 5 and have found substantial flaking and light leaks on the shutter curtain. I have removed what I can of the flaking and have applied a light coat of acrylic black paint thinned with water to the curtain. So far it looks to have done the trick. I'm putting another light coat on it tonight and then let it set for a day. I'll then run another roll through it and see how it goes. In the future this is something I'll check before putting film into a camera with a curtain.

I like that lens on those Fed 5, be careful if you wear glasses on that type of Fed 5 eyepiece, as they scratch lenses.

Back