Fed lens cap modification

bonino

Local time
4:56 PM
Hi, im having trouble with the lens cap provided with my fed 2, its not sécure at all and i used my ready leather cass as to not lose it but i just got the peak design leash for my birthday so i want to use that instead.
Problem is the cap falls with the slightest movement, it even falls on its own sometimes, im worried about burning a pinhole and also of losing it since its an original i think and i like to have everything original even if i use another one and have the original in a drawer. Do you have advice on a cheap fix ?
I thought of taping the inside of the cap to make it tighter but the tape will bunch up with use
Using a cap like cartier bresson with a tiny string attached but its not the prettiest.
And using a filter to put a "normal" cap like nikon with Springs to keep it secure, but it also deteriorates the natural look of the industar since i cant see the writings, keep in mind that its not THAT important to me to have a pretty camera, if no other solutions are better then im going with less pretty but better solution.

Do you have recommendations or a go to method to relatively cheaply secure the cap ? Or is for exemple the metal fed cap or another one a good fit for my lens ?
Lens : industar 26m rigid.
Cap i got: black plastic one with a logo of a light ray through a Lens.

Do you have recommendations or a go to method to relatively cheaply secure the cap ? Or is for exemple the metal fed cap or another one a good fit for my lens ?
Lens : industar 26m rigid.
Cap i got: black plastic one with a logo of a light ray through a Lens.
The Industar 26m uses a standard 40.5mm filter, so a 40.5mm snap-in cap will fit. They're cheap as chips on eBay.

If you want to use the original cap, you'd have to give it more "grip", and there's no way of doing that which is particularly pretty. I think I'd opt for some adhesive-backed felt between the plastic "spurs" which are supposed to hold the cap in place via friction.

All in all, the cheap snap-in cap is the easier option...

...however. All the Soviet lenses benefit greatly from a hood. I've owned this exact hood for something like 15 years; it has a thread on the front to hold a 52mm snap-in cap, and I'm still using it on various Zeiss or Soviet lenses with that 40.5mm thread instead of a regular lens cap to this day.

IMG_8584.JPG

Okay thanks, definitely gonna look up stuff about hoods, and i didnt think a nornal lens cap would fit as the bit of metal where the original cap sits is hanging over the threads, so im gonna buy some chinese ones to try that.

Back