Ferrania are now selling bulk rolls of 35mm!

Coldkennels

Barnack-toting Brit.
Local time
12:10 PM
Just got their promo email about it, and sure enough:

1704380590259.png
(Ferrania P30 35mm x 30mt Bulk Film - 80 ISO)

99.9% of all film I shoot is from bulk rolls (so I can use dedicated cassettes in older cameras), so this is exciting news for me.

Weird timing, though - I've personally got no chance in hell of shooting 80ISO film in January here in the UK!

Interesting. I see Freestyle here in the US has it as 36 exposure rolls & 120 but not bulk yet. I may have to try it to see if I'd want to get it first.

I saw this on Photrio a few weeks back. I thought the price for a bulk roll quite reasonable, so went to their website to place an order. I then found out that shipping, via DHL, to my location in Michigan was $39.00(!). I passed.

Jim B.

Keep it till the summer? I’ve got a roll of Fomapan 100 and another of Adox HR50 waiting…

What’s the Ferrania like?
I literally just picked up 100ft of FP4+ to go alongside the Fomapan 100, XP2, Eastman 5302, and Rollei Retro 400S I've already got in the bulk loaders, so it's going to be a while before I can justify grabbing some of the Ferrania.

As for what it's like: I'm seeing a bunch of people using it on Reddit and Mastodon. This one is pretty good: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/18xt7by

Contrasty, inky blanks, and rich midtones seems to be what most people are getting. Definitely works for me.

I literally just picked up 100ft of FP4+ to go alongside the Fomapan 100, XP2, Eastman 5302, and Rollei Retro 400S I've already got in the bulk loaders, so it's going to be a while before I can justify grabbing some of the Ferrania.

As for what it's like: I'm seeing a bunch of people using it on Reddit and Mastodon. This one is pretty good: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/18xt7by

Contrasty, inky blanks, and rich midtones seems to be what most people are getting. Definitely works for me.

Thanks - that is lovely. I’ve also got 400ft of Kodak XX - so much film and so little time!

Keep it till the summer? I’ve got a roll of Fomapan 100 and another of Adox HR50 waiting…

What’s the Ferrania like?
I bought five rolls from their first batch, shot two, and sold the rest. I found it much too contrasty for my developing and scanning techniques. Like, off the charts too contrasty. And I usually prefer a contrasty negative to a flat, lifeless midtone one.

My standard development on P30 (HC-110 at 1:49 dilution for 8 minutes @ 72°, ISO 80) produces way way too much contrast and way too little shadow differentiation. Switching to a much more dilute developer and doubling the time, with more exposure (HC-110 @ 1:99 for 16 minutes @ 72°, ISO 40-50) produces a much better tonal scale and very rich tones.

Under Construction by Godfrey DiGiorgi, on Flickr

I just doubt I'm shooting enough film of any kind to buy 30m bulk rolls anymore however. A dozen 135-36 rolls lasts me more than a year... I should get a few rolls of 120 however.

G

My standard development on P30 (HC-110 at 1:49 dilution for 8 minutes @ 72°, ISO 80) produces way way too much contrast and way too little shadow differentiation. Switching to a much more dilute developer and doubling the time, with more exposure (HC-110 @ 1:99 for 16 minutes @ 72°, ISO 40-50) produces a much better tonal scale and very rich tones.....

I shoot P30 at an EI of 25. To me, the secret to taming the inherent high contrast is to blast the shadows with as much light as possible. In my experience, developer really doesn't matter. I only scan, and don't use a wet darkroom. Good scanning software (I use SIlverfast) can handle the highlights. Nice film with a very distinct look.

Jim B.

Back