Philippines Filipino RF users!!!

wamjam

Well-known
Local time
7:10 AM
Mabuhay! i found jay, joseph, and dgray on this site. annie, emailed me using multiply.com asking me if i'm the same guy here. yes, annie it is i. will add you on multiply as soon as i get a chance to go online on a computer that has no firewall...i can't view the site on a computer that has...at least this one.

any other Pinoy members out there? :p

Wam

Aba, marami pala tayo dito! :)

Continuing the discussion of RFs here, there used to be a lot. In the 1980s, you could walk around Hidalgo or Avenida and find Leicas stacked under the vitrines of 2nd hand shops. Not just Leicas but plenty of Canons as well. I got a Canon-7 as my second RF camera. That was about 20 years ago, and it cost me Php 1,500.00 But its now broken and in a thousand parts. I have it interred in the 'crypt of totally dead cameras.

About 8 years ago, I actually found an old Leotax which I got for Php 1000. Seller wasn't aware of what she had.

I got my Leicas here. Leicas used to be so common. A lot of them were bought by a known dealer here who then sent them to Hong Kong.

Fifteen years ago, the Leica M3 had been my ultimate goal. I got one for Php 20,000. And I never looked at or thought of getting another M Leica ever. I have that feeling again, this time its directed at the RD-1. If money only grew on trees.... :)

Jay

Last edited:
Mabuhay, Wamjam. I'm glad to see Pinoy Rangefinder users in this forum. Right now, I'm in California, and I intend to visit the PI by the end of the year. I'm basically a B&W film user(Ilford or Fuji) and I want to know if these films are readily available in Manila, or is it better to bring my own.

The reason I ask is that it's harder and harder to get films nowadays, everybody is moving to digital, and what film is left for sale tend to be in color. I also do my own processing, and got used to with these films. Any info would be much apprecaited. Thanks.

Great! Now if I could only find a single Filipino restaurant in Connecticut, I would be a happy man.

taps415 said:
Mabuhay, Wamjam. I'm glad to see Pinoy Rangefinder users in this forum. Right now, I'm in California, and I intend to visit the PI by the end of the year. I'm basically a B&W film user(Ilford or Fuji) and I want to know if these films are readily available in Manila, or is it better to bring my own.

The reason I ask is that it's harder and harder to get films nowadays, everybody is moving to digital, and what film is left for sale tend to be in color. I also do my own processing, and got used to with these films. Any info would be much apprecaited. Thanks.
Mabuhay! i also use Ilford Delta 100 and XP2400. it's easy to buy Ilford here, and cheaper too. i asked my mom to get me XP2 last year from california and it cost her around Php250 each roll. here, though hard to find, only costs me around Php180. this is just for the XP2, but the DELTA's, you can easily find it here. mas mura din compared sa states. but bring a couple of rolls para ready anytime, diba? :p

I did, when I lived in New York several years ago. A bit pricey, due to their location mostly. I am sure your wife has taken you on the 7 train to 69th Street, David, to the PhilAm Filipino store/grocery. My favorite restaurant is right beside it, called Ihawan.

Now I will need to go fix myself a snack before hitting the sack. ;)

retrocam said:
Hey guys, this is Annie. Ayan apat na tayo, hehehe.

I just uploaded some pictures in my gallery... :D
ayan annie, finally nagkita din tayo...kahit in cyberspace lang...hehehehe. were you part of jay javier's last downtown shoot? was in the province eh. didn't make it on time. sayang! next time.

i believe S13 is also a member of this forum. at least that's his 'handle' on pinoyphotography.org. a pinoy RF user residing in japan. paging S13! paramdam ka naman. :)

ray_g said:
I did, when I lived in New York several years ago. A bit pricey, due to their location mostly. I am sure your wife has taken you on the 7 train to 69th Street, David, to the PhilAm Filipino store/grocery. My favorite restaurant is right beside it, called Ihawan.

Now I will need to go fix myself a snack before hitting the sack. ;)

Yes, I think we've been there, but not for some time. We'll have to try it again.

Cendrillon is indeed a bit pricey, but we always have a good time there. Romy made his chocolate-macadamia nut sans rival for our wedding cake.

David, I had an attending at NYU with the same name as yours. I understand it probably is not an uncommon name, but you wouldn't happen to be a Nephrologist, would you? ;)

Heh. He is a great guy, but I don't recall he was into photography, just pee ;)

Back