Film in airport X-ray machines

What this means is an additional $60 to send my film back from a trip by courier. I can’t rely on the possibility of getting a hand check.

Boston's Logan Airport is reportedly one of the airports at which the TSA is testing new CT scanners. Does anyone happen to know which checkpoints have the CT scanners? I flew out of Logan's Terminal E in December and used the trip as an opportunity to conduct a casual test with a roll of HP5+. I shot ten frames of the same scene. Then I clipped half the roll and took it with me, leaving the other half at home. The strip I took with me was scanned twice: once at Logan Terminal E, and once at the airport in Wrocław, Poland. Yesterday I developed both strips in the same tank. Below you see both strips on the light table. I can detect no difference between the two. For what it's worth, the top one is the one that was scanned.

Does anyone know if the new CT scanner(s) at Logan are labeled as such? I did not see any sign indicating that new technology was in use--my bag may well have passed through a standard X-Ray scanner. So I cannot offer this test as a demonstration of the effects of the new equipment.

IMG_3469

Boston's Logan Airport is reportedly one of the airports at which the TSA is testing new CT scanners. Does anyone happen to know which checkpoints have the CT scanners? I flew out of Logan's Terminal E in December and used the trip as an opportunity to conduct a casual test with a roll of HP5+. I shot ten frames of the same scene. Then I clipped half the roll and took it with me, leaving the other half at home. The strip I took with me was scanned twice: once at Logan Terminal E, and once at the airport in Wrocław, Poland. Yesterday I developed both strips in the same tank. Below you see both strips on the light table. I can detect no difference between the two. For what it's worth, the top one is the one that was scanned.

Does anyone know if the new CT scanner(s) at Logan are labeled as such? I did not see any sign indicating that new technology was in use--my bag may well have passed through a standard X-Ray scanner. So I cannot offer this test as a demonstration of the effects of the new equipment.

The new scanners are not labelled as such but you’ll know it when you see it. It looks like a hospital MRI scanner with the round opening. Travelers do not need to remove their laptops etc like for older scanners.

The new scanners are not labelled as such but you’ll know it when you see it. It looks like a hospital MRI scanner with the round opening. Travelers do not need to remove their laptops etc like for older scanners.

Aha--thanks for the info. My film was not, then, scanned by one of the new machines. Sorry, I had hoped to be able to provide some useful experience.

Not sure what terminal I’m heading through yet.

I like your test dfranklin I will do the same, shoot the roll and clip half, then develop them together.

A TSA supervisor told me that the newer machines are supposedly safe for several passes with 800 and below film. I recently took a roll of Cinestill 800t two ways via air and it showed no fog, streaks, or whatever.

What does concern me are the times when your bag goes through the scanner and the agent can't identify something. He/she will rock the belt back and forth (I assume with tbe beam on), then maybe call over a supervisor or cohort, and they sit there and point and rock the belt back and forth and nod at each other and I assume my film is getting a continuous soaking.

2010 I left Peru; no rocking this time, but the scanner male spent three minutes flirting with a female assistant while my film was on his screen. Even then I couldn't see any problems upon development.

Boston's Logan Airport is reportedly one of the airports at which the TSA is testing new CT scanners. Does anyone happen to know which checkpoints have the CT scanners?
Pretty much everywhere by now. They are not being tested, they are replacing all older models at all airports.

500_pic1-180395.jpg

From the actual and latest TSA guidelines, published after the introduction of CT scanners: “We recommend that you put undeveloped film and cameras containing undeveloped film in your carry-on bags or take undeveloped film with you to the checkpoint and ask for a hand inspection.”

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/film

The relevant, and new, Kodak information , published after the introduction of CT screening: “always hand-carry your film - including loaded cameras - and always request a visual inspection at the airport security check point.”

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/uat/files/wysiwyg/pro/CIS_E30.pdf

But, whatever. Many people don’t read manuals either, and move ahead with a firm sense of confidence.

Pretty much everywhere by now. They are not being tested, they are replacing all older models at all airports.

500_pic1-180395.jpg

Good that you posted the image so people can see that the new machines are a beast of a different order: specifically they generate 3-D rather than 2-D images. There is concrete evidence that unlike the old 2-D machines, these new CT scanners damage film.

On the other hand, you say they "are replacing all older models at all airports" . . . what evidence do you have to make that claim? TSA itself lists 17 major airports where they are installed. The article -https://www.tsa.gov/computed-tomography - implies that the goal is universal adoption, but it is currently deployed and being tested at the following airports:

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI)
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
Houston Hobby Airport (HOU)
Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
Logan International Airport (BOS)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)
Tampa International Airport (TPA)
Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)

image2 by ray tai, on Flickr

I let a box of 4x5 TMX go through the new scanner at SFO because I didn't want to risk a hand check where the TSA would inevitably ask me to open the box! This is one of the shots. It was shot with a pinhole Walker 4x5. Can anyone see any ill effects from the scan? Some of the other negs came out "blotchy" I guess because it is a pin hole? Xray damage would be a wave effect?

image2 by ray tai, on Flickr

I let a box of 4x5 TMX go through the new scanner at SFO because I didn't want to risk a hand check where the TSA would inevitably ask me to open the box! This is one of the shots. It was shot with a pinhole Walker 4x5. Can anyone see any ill effects from the scan? Some of the other negs came out "blotchy" I guess because it is a pin hole? Xray damage would be a wave effect?

Blotchiness is the effect of the new CT scan. Some of the sheets might be insulated by where they sit in the stack. Here is the result of a test. Note blotchiness of film to the right exposed to a CT scan - https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/new-airport-scanners.170709/page-5#post-2240260

You should inquire about hand checking. They used to check by opening each and every item for inspection, but now I believe they simply swipe to see if there are explosive chemicals on the surface of the item.

That confirms it. My negs look exactly like the samples in the link. It was my first outing with the pinhole so wasn’t sure if it was just the medium.

Yikes. Luckily they weren’t using the new machines when I went through JFK (the terminal o went through had one but it wasn’t in use) but I asked TSA to hand check my film (35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8x10) so at least there’s a way around that. What worries me is when LHR gets the new machines, they simply refuse to hand check any film at all. Might have to switch to digital which isn’t a big deal for my 35mm kit since it’s pretty much a 1:1 replacement (M10 instead of the M4), but if I want to fly with my Rollei or 4x5 kit? I know several photographers who shoot 6x7 professionally who’ll have to drastically change their workflow (I.e procure film and develop at the location) if provisions aren’t made for film.

Yikes. Luckily they weren’t using the new machines when I went through JFK (the terminal o went through had one but it wasn’t in use) but I asked TSA to hand check my film (35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8x10) so at least there’s a way around that. What worries me is when LHR gets the new machines, they simply refuse to hand check any film at all. Might have to switch to digital which isn’t a big deal for my 35mm kit since it’s pretty much a 1:1 replacement (M10 instead of the M4), but if I want to fly with my Rollei or 4x5 kit? I know several photographers who shoot 6x7 professionally who’ll have to drastically change their workflow (I.e procure film and develop at the location) if provisions aren’t made for film.

Yes, there is no cooperation on this side of the Atlantic when it comes to hand checking. I read that LHR is due to get the machines in two years.

But also consider this: we know the way technological development works in a market economy. A more advanced machines is developed to fill a niche (in this case I guess medical originally); the technology is very expensive, but as competition increases costs come down and the market expands.

Point: how long before these CT machines are used to scan the mail? How will film be distributed in the future?

Trip to Israel - planned shooting film but...

Trip to Israel - planned shooting film but...

I'll be going to Israel and Italy in about a month. I planned on shooting film but don't know how I'll avoid it being scanned. Anyone had good luck with hand checks in both countries? Any tips/advice is appreciated.

Back