Film portraiture using only natural light

Cienfuegos, Cuba 2011 - This 23 year old lives with her mother in an 8' by 20' wooden house. Her 42 year old mother also has a baby which appeared to be the same age as her daughter's. They survive on social benefits and the kindness of friends and neighbors as both are permanently unemployed.

View attachment 4830416
Bob, I am very impressed by your work. You are always close to the people you portrait, and you take interest in their lives.

Bob, I am very impressed by your work. You are always close to the people you portrait, and you take interest in their lives.
Harry, thanks. We each have developed our own styles based on what works for us. Mine is centered around having more interest in the subjects themselves than the actual photography. That results in me being physically close to the subject as I always seem to be in communication, sometimes non-verbal where spoken language is difficult. I want the subject to understand that this is all about them, not a photo. I try to convey the thought to viewers that these are real people in my photos. My Cuban work does not include people's names because of language but always has information such as location or circumstance about the person, anything to subconsciously say this is a real live walking talking person.

U28593I1613416883.SEQ.0.jpg
Baltic Sea [OM-1n + 50mm 1.4 + Orange filter + HP5 Plus]

Back