Film tearing on Contax I

Maybe it's the bulk load cassettes I have or maybe it's just my camera. I'm not paying a zillion bucks and waiting 10 years to get it "overhauled" so it is what it is.

A cassette of film is very cheap compared to the cost of posting the camera back and so I suggest you waste a cheap cassette by running it through the camera with the back off.

There's a good chance you'll see what is going wrong. Don't do it all at once; imagine you were using it and wait a while (even hours) before winding and, of course, do a couple of wind ons quickly, one after the other.

My money is still on a slipping clutch slipping too much at the take up spool. That can let is slowly unwind -or not even get taken on by tension - jam and tear. Or it could be too tight and not slipping enough and ripping the film...

If so the next problem will be finding out the torque needed and measuring it...

Regards, David

PS I have broken a rule of mine by commenting on a camera I've never used but clutches are common to most of them in one form or another and the solution is simple and the problem is easily seen.

PPS (Edit) I'm assuming it's obvious why the take-up spool should be mounted on a slipping clutch but ask if you want further and fuller details. And apologies if is sounds a bit patronising...

I've tried using genuine Zeiss Ikon Contax cassettes and have still struggled with winding on, though the film does now sit correctly between the rails. Rewinding is still extremely difficult.
I've now sent the camera and the cassettes back to Dave Clark at Sendean to see what he can do.

I missed the bit about rewinding being so hard, I know it isn't much fun with the Contax I but it shouldn't be that bad. Something is dragging...

Anyway, you've sent it back. I for one look forward to hearing what the problem was. We Contax I admirers need a story with a happy ending!

Back