Film vs Digital -- Privacy Issues

dtcls100

Well-known
Local time
8:01 PM
There is an interesting article appearing in the New York Times on July 22, 2014 captioned something like "What the Internet Can See from Your Cat Pictures."

According to the article, modern digital cameras and smartphones collect metadata (including location data) that can be ascertained from photo postings on Flickr, Instagram, etc.

Never really thought about privacy issues as one of the advantages of using film cameras, but I guess it is.

It's kind of a double-edged sword. Metadata is only a privacy issue if you post photos with complete metadata online, or through a service that does not strip metadata. I turn off the metadata display for flickr.

Metadata is incredibly helpful for organizing my work and knowing exactly when any given photo was taken. As I look back through old film photos, I often rack my brain and ask family when and where something was shot.

Metadata is only a privacy issue if you don't know what you post. I turn off my GPS on my cellphone, but even then: when I take a picture in Utrecht, everybody (at least in NL) will recognise the canals.

A couple of years ago there were horror stories in UK newspaper claiming paedophiles would find your children through the pictures you posted on Facebook.

...A couple of years ago there were horror stories in UK newspaper claiming paedophiles would find your children through the pictures you posted on Facebook.
Is pedophilia rampant in the UK?

It seems that there is an obsession with this issue in the UK. From what I have read, anyone making photographs where children are present is automatically suspected/accused of being a pedophile by someone.

Or are the accusers simply wild-eyed loony tunes types?

Is pedophilia rampant in the UK?

It seems that there is an obsession with this issue in the UK. From what I have read, anyone making photographs where children are present is automatically suspected/accused of being a pedophile by someone.

Or are the accusers simply wild-eyed loony tunes types?
It's probably no more rampant than anywhere else in the world. What is more rampant is our obsession with it, not helped by some recent high-profile cases that have come to light.

Nowadays people would be quite horrified of the innocent images my parents took of myself and my siblings when we were toddlers. How times change!

I have no children (thankfully) but I find it annoying in the extreme that I have to think carefully before using a camera in public, lest I fall foul of some frothing parent.

Back