filter for Canon 50mm 1.8

Goody

Established
Local time
12:04 AM
I recently aquired a Canon 7 with a 50 mm 1.8 Canon lens. I'd like to put a UV filter on it but the 39mm is too small; the 40.5mm is too large. What is the correct size and does anyone make filters for these lenses -- also would love to get a sunshade. Any ideas?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

the Canon LTM 1.8/50 have 40mm filter thread. ( good source is the Canon Cameramuseum: http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/s47.html )
One can find 40mm filters, in case you have somewhat bigger filters already there are step up rings e.g. 40<40.5, 40<43, 40<46, 40<49 asf. hoods also will be more easily available in these bigger sizes, everything also available on the big auction site

FWIW, I've used 40->40.5 step up rings on basically all of my Canon RF lenses. Makes life much easier and is still fairly compact.

I just purchased THIS adapter to use 40.5mm filters/hoods on my Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM and it works fine. Also, the pictured adapter is not the one correct one but I received the correct 40-40.5 adapter, FYI.

New 40mm UV, CPL and ND filters are available on eBay and elsewhere, because the Fuji X10 takes 40mm filters.

If you're looking for colored filters for use with B&W film, it's a bit harder, but not impossible to find vintage filters from Canon, Kenko, Walz, etc.

Also, the original Canon hood for the 50/1.8 is a 2-piece affair that includes a Series VI filter holder.

What kermaier said above. Also, 40mm screw in hoods are available. I have one by Walz. However, I have several 40mm filters with no front threads. With these you have to use a 42mm clamp on hood like the one by Canon.

Back