Filters for G2?

W

wblanchard

I imagine using a circular polarizer would be a little diificult on this camera...I would imagine having to look thru the filter first and turning it the right way BEFORE mounting it.

I thought I read somewhere that Leica or someone came up with something easier?

Do you use filters on your glass and if so, how do they work for you?

I have a 72mm Polarizer for my Mamiya Medium Format cameras. I simply rotate it to good effect and hold it in front of the lens.

Of course, the G2 takes such saturated pictures ANYWAY I rarely do it, but it's there if I need to.

I also have a pair of identically indexed polarizers, but they aren't 46mm (um... 43mm for the M-U 65mm f/6.3)

The best idea I heard about using polarizers on the G2 or any other TTL metering rangefinder/viewfinder- simply turn the polarizer until the shutter speed drops to the lowest guess- that's the "darkest" setting and probably the highest contrast.

Good luck.

JD

I've been using filters on the G1 no problem. Picked up a nice Hoya circular polarizer from the bargain and used it too. I used the method JD mentioned above also. Then I accidentally dropped it in the lake!:(

I used yellow for B&W shots, 81A sometimes. I want to get a neutral grad. soon.

--
Scott

A couple of other possible methods to use circ. polarizer

1) There is an attachment made by leica that allows you to swing the filter up, look through it, then swing it back down in front of the lens. Seem to remember it being pretty pricey

2) Mark the polarzer band w/ something you can see from the back/side. Make note of the mark's direction as you observe the seen through it. Then attach it and line the mark up in the noted direction.

Both are to much trouble for me. Just depends on how bad you want to see the effect on the scene.

Check out the http://contaxg.com/contaxuser/ and scroll down to polarizer section for more info.

HTH,
Scott

Back