Finally got my first folder...

hehe thats a convienent size shoe, that still works good for metric though...means your shoe size is 300mm (close enough) the length of a common school ruler which used to be 12 inches...some of the scales on camera lens and many other things still come or often divided into multiples of 300mm...e.g. building materials or sheeting are 900 or 1200 wide (3 &4 foot) and lengths of timber, piping or pretty much everthing else is in lengths of 3m, 3.6m (10 &12 foot) and so on....believe it or not you actually get the hang of distance and lengths pretty easy..

Building materials here are sold in board feet, Andrew. Gas is sold in gallons, wrench sizes are usually in fractions of an inch, and etcetera. I've got a very good grasp on these things and I don't really want to start all over again. When I have to use and understand metric measurements, they have these things called conversion calculators. It'll never last though. One of these days the rest of the world will realize how screwed up this metric system fad is and they'll switch back.

For a while (Ithink it was in the 80s), we went to metric measurements for selling gasoline; it was sold in liters. Nobody liked it and we're back to gallons.

For a while (Ithink it was in the 80s), we went to metric measurements for selling gasoline; it was sold in liters. Nobody liked it and we're back to gallons.

IIRC the reason that they were selling gasoline by the liter here (USA) in the '80s was that they could not program their pumps to charge more than 99 cents per gallon. After they replaced the pumps, they went back to gallons.

IIRC the reason that they were selling gasoline by the liter here (USA) in the '80s was that they could not program their pumps to charge more than 99 cents per gallon. After they replaced the pumps, they went back to gallons.

Regardless of the reason, liters didn't stick. Apparently it was worth changing the pumps.

LOL, yeah right, well ya know that doesnt happen, all you have to do is watch Star Trek and you know Americans eventually change as well.

Traitors!!!! We invented Star Trek. We are waiting to be the only ones using the imperial scale. The word imperial makes us feel special.

Back