First Medium camera, kinda stuck. EC.

Akina206

Local time
7:02 AM

hello everyone,
Since I am traveling Europe, I decided to take medium camera this time.
Purchased EC. Seems mint.
IMG_8827.jpeg
But winder is not loading the shutter, like video.

No battery inside, maybe this can cause issue?

I do watched serveral videos about how to use EC but their winder works well.

Any help will be super helpful!
Thank you,

I watched your video and can't tell if there are bad grinding noises when you wind the knob or not. If there are, then that's maybe a big problem.

And, please forgive the question, but is there film in the camera? I have an S2A and the knob will just wind and wind if there is no film. If however you take the back off, it will wind and fire. I know, your camera is an EC, but it may work the same way.

I watched your video and can't tell if there are bad grinding noises when you wind the knob or not. If there are, then that's maybe a big problem.

And, please forgive the question, but is there film in the camera? I have an S2A and the knob will just wind and wind if there is no film. If however you take the back off, it will wind and fire. I know, your camera is an EC, but it may work the same way.
Thank you.

No battery and no film.
I don’t hear grinding noise, too.
Should I take film holder out and do it again)

On the Mamiya m645 body you need a film spool on the pick up side for the counter to work and the shutter to get set.
Without the Film insert installed or with it installed without the film spool it just winds on...once I put a roll spool in, it winds on like normal (about 7 turns) then stops and I can now trip the shutter.

On the Mamiya m645 body you need a film spool on the pick up side for the counter to work and the shutter to get set.
Without the Film insert installed or with it installed without the film spool it just winds on...once I put a roll spool in, it winds on like normal (about 7 turns) then stops and I can now trip the shutter.
I put D mode which is double exposure mode, shutter works.
A mode, it keep spins.
With or without film.

I pulled out my EC to see what's what. First, you definitely need a battery in the camera for the shutter to operate -- the shutter will not fire mechanically. So, install the battery. After that, follow the instructions and pictures as found in the Bronica EC manual about loading film into the camera courtesy of Mike Butkus: https://www.cameramanuals.org/bronica/bronica_ec.pdf. Look carefully at the photos, especially the orientation of the film when you load it into the film holder. So install the battery, and load a roll of film per instructions, and if your camera is working properly all should be well.

I pulled out my EC to see what's what. First, you definitely need a battery in the camera for the shutter to operate -- the shutter will not fire mechanically. So, install the battery. After that, follow the instructions and pictures as found in the Bronica EC manual about loading film into the camera courtesy of Mike Butkus: https://www.cameramanuals.org/bronica/bronica_ec.pdf. Look carefully at the photos, especially the orientation of the film when you load it into the film holder. So install the battery, and load a roll of film per instructions, and if your camera is working properly all should be well.
Thank you! After following the instructions, it start to work. Now I need to get used to no-prism viewfinder. Lol. It goes opposite way!

Thank you! After following the instructions, it start to work. Now I need to get used to no-prism viewfinder. Lol. It goes opposite way!
You will quickly get used to the "opposite" way. When I first used this type of camera, I found it was much easier to compose at waist level, without the magnifier, after using the magnifier to focus. Years later, that still holds true for me. Try it!
And congratulations on your acquisition of the EC. That camera was pure genius for its time, and is still a great picture taker. I love mine, but it can be a beast on a neck strap!

Hey everyone!

I did managed to take photos and currently with Europe travel with my heavy EC.

While taking pics normally, suddenly mirror stucked. Checked shutter and it was half closed, so film was half exposed.

IMG_9783.jpeg
Like this, it was not right way to stuck.

I touched shutter itself few times and it went down.
Somehow I managed to put the mirror down.

Problem is, winder is stuck. It goes opposite way like before, but it is stuck when I try to wind it.

Here’s video.

I am currently in Rome, and kinda shocked now. :(
Any suggestions?
It is dead stuck.

I don't think I have much to offer, but I would first check the battery for adequate power (via the test button, or better yet, via a battery checker). If the battery is OK, check that the shutter button did not accidentally get turned to the "locked" position midway through a cycle.
One of the signs of developing electrical problems with an EC is a mirror that sometimes sticks in the "up" position for a moment before the shutter fires. I have read that this is due to a deteriorating capacitor. If your camera has ever had this occur, it is an indication that problems may get worse.
However, your picture seems to show that the shutter became stuck at an angle. That seems to indicate more of a mechanical problem, and I can offer no suggestions there. The bright side is that mechanical problems are more easily addressed than electrical ones, in these old cameras.
I hope you can get your camera working for the rest of your vacation. However, even if you do, a CLA is probably in order. Mint appearance can be misleading; older cameras that have sat unused can always benefit from servicing. Best of luck with the EC. It's a wonderful camera!

Back