First MF camera: Bronica VS. Hassy

grapejohnson

Well-known
Local time
5:25 PM
In the next few months, I want to start getting into medium format photography. I'm trying to decide which camera to start out with. Although I love rangefinders, I'll probably get an SLR -- they're cheaper overall and take incredible pictures. I've been considering a Bronica or Hasselblad 500 C/M. I know Bronicas are cheaper and some go all the way to 1/1000th, and usually have some amazing Nikkor glass, but I don't know much about the different models. Are Hasselblads that much better that they're worth the extra $$? I'd prefer not to buy a cheap camera to start out with and the have to buy another more expensive one later, which is why I'm not considering a Kiev or the like... How are the metered prisms? Worth it? Are some better than others?

I've owned multiple Bronica S2, S2A bodies and some of the Nikkor lenses.

I presently own multiple Hasselblad 500/CM's and 500EL/M's. I have the entire 70's lineup of black T* lenses (except the 500mm) lots of filmbacks, and 75% of the original accessories made at the time (well over a hundred different items).

I would go with Hasselblad, they are not that expensive anymore. They are much quieter than Bronica, more plentiful, and easily repaired. Many many more accessories are available for Hasselblad.

I like the original CdS Hasselblad Metered Prism, it reads out in EV's, which matches the 70's series lenses. Very easy to use and accurate.

I've owned multiple Bronica S2, S2A bodies and some of the Nikkor lenses.

I presently own multiple Hasselblad 500/CM's and 500EL/M's. I have the entire 70's lineup of black T* lenses (except the 500mm) lots of filmbacks, and 75% of the original accessories made at the time (well over a hundred different items).

I would go with Hasselblad, they are not that expensive anymore. They are much quieter than Bronica, more plentiful, and easily repaired. Many many more accessories are available for Hasselblad.

Hasselblad will still service any of their cameras, right?
Any word on the metered prisms? Better to go with a handheld? I'd prefer TTL if it's good.
(edit, just saw bottom of your comment)

I had a bronica s2a for a few years; fine camera, great lenses, unbelievably loud shutter, and very heavy. A handheld meter did the job for me. For the kind of photography I do, the weight, better metering, and convenience of 35mm wins most of the time.

Hasselblad will still service any of their cameras, right?
Any word on the metered prisms? Better to go with a handheld? I'd prefer TTL if it's good.
(edit, just saw bottom of your comment)

Hasselblad USA still services all of these cameras, as long as they have parts. I used to routinely send them gear to overhaul.

More recently I have switched over to David Odess, he is the -Man-. Super fast, and not as expensive as Hasselblad USA. Google him. He has a big website, and sells stuff, too.

I call Hasselblad, The Erector Set of Photography. So much FUN to build stuff with it.

Love my 501C - was out with it last weekend giving the digital stuff a rest.
Many lenses are absolute bargins theses days - especially compared to used Leica prices.

I would see how you get on with the WLF before adding a prism ; the prism adds considerable bulk and shifts the weight balance. I rarely use mine when walking about with the camera on the shoulder strap.
The 45 degree prisms are ergonomically the best choice unless you are shooting from high above.

without ever having used a blad, just my experiences with the sq-a say "get the blad!".

some people get along with the bronicas. I have a friend who loves his. but personally, I would rate them at the low end of all of the medium format film cameras I have personally tried.

Why not Rolleiflex?

It's easier to buy different lenses for a Hasselblad or a Bronica/not that much price differential between a really good Rollei and a good Hasselblad from what I can tell. Also, faster lenses are cheaper. All the Rolleis I see with a 2.8 lens are really expensive. Of the TLRs I've used, they were hard to focus with. ALso, one can more easily buy a different focusing screen or a prism with a Hasselblad than a Rollei, and I'd rather just have one camera than a couple. Although, Diane Arbus always used a Rollei, so that does make me want to use one to a degree.

I sold my Hasselblad kit and kept a nice Mamiya RZ67 Pro II kit. The Hasselblad was nice, more portable but I found I really like the bellows style focusing of the Mamiya. I think the Rolleiflex 6x6 also uses bellows style focus.

My other preference I discovered... I didn't much like the medium format kits for street work. Much prefer 35mm.

Anyway, I thought the Hasselblad kit was nice, but for the expense and usage, just not for me. And the PME45 meter that I had was not worth it. I like the 45 degree finder, but the metered one is a beast and not all that useful as it's not that quick to use in my opinion. It was easier takinga general reading witha handheld and then using my brain to adjust for different lighting. The RZ67 at least couples the metered prism to allow for AE.

It's easier to buy different lenses for a Hasselblad or a Bronica/not that much price differential between a really good Rollei and a good Hasselblad from what I can tell. Also, faster lenses are cheaper. All the Rolleis I see with a 2.8 lens are really expensive. Of the TLRs I've used, they were hard to focus with. ALso, one can more easily buy a different focusing screen or a prism with a Hasselblad than a Rollei, and I'd rather just have one camera than a couple. Although, Diane Arbus always used a Rollei, so that does make me want to use one to a degree.

I have had a 'blad, and now I'm on a Rolleiflex. Rolleiflexes are great for their small size, but if you don't mind going just a bit bigger, a Hasselblad is a way more flexible camera.

I wanted to go as small as possible, so I got a Rolleiflex, but if you're looking for a system, get a Hasselblad. You can get wide angle, macro addons etc for Rollei, but it's fighting against what it really is, a fixed lens camera.

I had the same dilema when I started with MF 10 years ago. Finally I decided Hasselblad and I've never regretted it. The price was higher than Bronica but if you're patinent you'll be able to get a good deal it's well worth it. The Hasselblad has higher quality and is more compact. Begin with a 500 or 501, the 80mm plannar and a couple of backs and you will expand it when you need something else. There are tons of bargains out there!
Ah, IMHO, forget about Rolleiflex for now... I also had my rollei times and I have two of them in the shelf. They are great fancy cameras, very good to talk with people whenever it comes out of the bag... but you will miss the huge flexibility of a whole system like Hasselblad. When I want mobility and something light and compact I always end up with my Mamiya 6 and its gorgeus 50mm; I use it even more than the Hasselblad. But I'd begin with a Hassy rather than with a M6.

Hey, if you end up interested in a Bronica kit, I was thinking about selling a GS-1 set, and I'd give you a forum deal (and would list it here, w/appropriate fees). Was going to put it on Ebay this summer.

In the next few months, I want to start getting into medium format photography. I'm trying to decide which camera to start out with. Although I love rangefinders, I'll probably get an SLR -- they're cheaper overall and take incredible pictures. I've been considering a Bronica or Hasselblad 500 C/M. I know Bronicas are cheaper and some go all the way to 1/1000th, and usually have some amazing Nikkor glass, but I don't know much about the different models. Are Hasselblads that much better that they're worth the extra $$? I'd prefer not to buy a cheap camera to start out with and the have to buy another more expensive one later, which is why I'm not considering a Kiev or the like... How are the metered prisms? Worth it? Are some better than others?

I have used Hasselblads, Pentax, Mamiya 645/RZ/7ii... any of these could work for you, but the problem is that you really don't say what you want to use it for, and that means any response you get is likely going to be irrefutable.

I have used Hasselblads, Pentax, Mamiya 645/RZ/7ii... any of these could work for you, but the problem is that you really don't say what you want to use it for, and that means any response you get is likely going to be irrefutable.

Great point. I want one for portraits, I pretty much only take pictures of people, and sometimes dogs.

I have 3 TLR's and one Hasselblad a 500C/M .... as much as I love the TLRs in concept I always turn to the Hassey. The Zeiss glass is superb and the body is far more convenient to use with various backs....get the Blad!

...coming from someone who made large prints (20x20) with both cameras, I can honestly say that if you're judging from a sharpness and "wow" factor perspective, the Hasselblad is MARGINALLY better. By that, I mean, I can show you two huge prints and you'd be hard pressed (in my opinion, probably more lucky) to guess which one was shot with which system. If money is not an option, go with the Hassy. I recently sold my Hassy and bought a Mamiya 6. But if I were to do it all over again and get a kit with the 50mm and 80mm, I'd get a Bronica and save myself $1000.

If you factor in servicing, well I spent $450 to service/repair my Hasselbald body and 2 backs and I could have bought 2 mint Bronica bodies and backs for the same price.

I started MF few months ago. I got myself a Mamiya 645 with the 80mm and 2 different finders. The camera was brand new, I got it for 500$. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm thinking about getting the 35mm lens now.

8533735567_60d0e4aea3_c.jpg

8533815971_697bfcbb1e_c.jpg

8545389393_13aef282d1_c.jpg

8534836902_209cf9da53_c.jpg

8538950967_e9b15a2a55_c.jpg

Back