First Results: Test of Fifteen 50mm Lenses

dexdog said:
Raid, the Zeiss 50/3.5 Tessar that you have is in Contax RF mount, and works just fine on the Bessa R2C without the need for an adapter.

Also, your latest lens list does not include the Canon 50/0.95.

Based on the info provided in a recent post, it appears that the focusing differences between the Nikon and Contax mounts would have little affect on the images taken with the 50/1.1 Nikkor at the large apertures that you used in the test.

Mark: I have added the Canon 50mm/0.95 to my last list now.

If the Zeiss Tessar wasin Contax mount, then only the Nikkor Millenium was used without the appropriate adapter, unless it is in Contax mount. Somehow, this information is not with me.

I think that the recent posting you are referring to actually points out a possible depth of field problem. The distances used were about 1m~1.2m, and for such distances there is supposedly a difference between the two camera mounts.

Raid

jsuominen said:
About the compatibility of S (Nikon) and C (Contax) mount and focusing errors with 50mm lens. If images shot with a 50mm at f/1.5 are out of depth-of-field, when shot closer than 5 meters, then at f/1.1 they are maybe out of depth-of-field even from 0.9 to 6 meters, because of wider aperture... Unfortunately my Bessa R2S instruction manual doesn't have a scale for faster 50mm lenses than f/1.5. :(

Jari: Thanks for the useful information on the differences between the Contax and Nikon mounts. This may explain why the Nikkor 50mm/1.1 gave me OOF shots with the Nikon S2 but gave me focused shots with the Bessa R2C (without the adapter). I don't own Nikon mount or Contax mount lenses, and that's why I did not that there was a difference.

It seems that only theMillenium Nikkor may have suffered from my error[if at all].

Raid

I am impressed by the performance of the Nokton for the Prominent. Before receiving two such lenses as loaners I had never before noticed this type of lens. It is 50mm/1.5, and it looks very well built. I got one in Nikon mount and one in LTM. I wonder how both Fred and Mark feel about this type of lens as both own one.

Here are three images taken at 1.5/2.0/4.0 with this lens (in LTM). My focusing may not have been good at 1.5. The light was directly shining at Dana's turned face. Note how sharp her eye lashes are. This lens is an excellent lens.

The large image was taken wide open with the Nokton in Nikon mount with the Bessa R2C:

5403619-md.jpg

Raid

Attachments

• Nokton 50mm 1.5 at 1.5 small.JPG
    Nokton 50mm 1.5 at 1.5 small.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Nokton 50mm 1.5 at 2.0 small.JPG
    Nokton 50mm 1.5 at 2.0 small.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Nokton 50mm 1.5 at 4.0 small.JPG
    Nokton 50mm 1.5 at 4.0 small.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Another example of the Nokton

Another example of the Nokton

The next three photos are taken with the same Nokton in LTM and with a different light. I wanted to make sure that at 1.5 I had replicate images. Here, the image looks sharp enough at 1.5, whereas the previous posting showed Dana's face less sharp at 1.5.

The large image was taken wide open with the Nokton in Nikon mount on a Bessa R2C:

5403599-md.jpg

Raid

Attachments

• Nokton 50mm 1.5 (2) at 1.5 small.JPG
    Nokton 50mm 1.5 (2) at 1.5 small.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Nokton 50mm 1.5 (2) at 2.0 small.JPG
    Nokton 50mm 1.5 (2) at 2.0 small.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Nokton 50mm 1.5 (2) at 4.0 small.JPG
    Nokton 50mm 1.5 (2) at 4.0 small.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Nikkor 50mm/1.1 when used wide open is sharp enough for pleasant looking photos.

5403233-md.jpg

5403332-md.jpg

The focusing ring is large, and it takes a while to be able to see what is in focus and what is not.

At an aperture of 4.0, the Nikkor is clearly sharp.

5403372-md.jpg

Raid

Last edited:
raid said:
I am impressed by the performance of the Nokton for the Prominent. Before receiving two such lenses as loaners I had never before noticed this type of lens. It is 50mm/1.5, and it looks very well built. I got one in Nikon mount and one in LTM. I wonder how both Fred and Mark feel about this type of lens as both own one.

Raid

Raid, I have not really used the Nokton very much (3 or 4 rolls at most) but in my opinion, I think that overall it is very similar to the 50/1.5 Sonnar, except that at larger apertures, the Nokton appears to exhibit a somewhat larger zone of sharpness away from the center than the Sonnar. Both lenses appear to provide similar contrast and same creamy smooth rendition of OOF areas.

I bought the Nokton because it was supposed to be one of the most highly regarded of the 1950s-era RF lenses, and I wanted to try it out. Secondly, the unreleased prototype of an update of the Contax body sported a Nokton lens instead of a Sonnar. I wanted to see for myself why Zeiss would dump the Sonnar in favor of the Nokton.

Mark: Is this lens similar to a Canon 50/1.5 in terms of availability and cost levels? It may be an alternative choice if its performance is optically close to a Sonnar.

Raid

Raid: If you were using a S-mount Nikkor 50mm/1.1 lens, it should give sharp shots wide open with Nikon and Bessa R2S rangefinder cameras. Not with Bessa R2C and Contax rangefinder cameras, because focus differences in closer range. At least according to Bessa R2S and R2C instruction manual. Strange... :confused:

jsuominen said:
Raid: If you were using a S-mount Nikkor 50mm/1.1 lens, it should give sharp shots wide open with Nikon and Bessa R2S rangefinder cameras. Not with Bessa R2C and Contax rangefinder cameras, because focus differences in closer range. At least according to Bessa R2S and R2C instruction manual. Strange... :confused:

Jari: Don't be confused; you may not have read all postings in this thread. Earlier on, we discussed some focus problems enountered with this Nikkor when used on the Nikon S2.

I am aware of the facts stated by you above, but this lens was not tested/used before by its owner (Kiu) and when used with theNikon S2 I got very poor results. It looked as if the lens needed some shimming to get proper focus. When I then used it [again] on the Bessa R2C without the appropriate Nikon-Contax adapter, I may have given it the proper shimming. I am not aware that this Nikkor is made in Contax mount.

Greetings,

Raid

Last edited:
raid said:
Mark: Is this lens similar to a Canon 50/1.5 in terms of availability and cost levels? It may be an alternative choice if its performance is optically close to a Sonnar.

Raid

Raid, the Nokton appears to be available separately on eBay on the occasional basis, but more often attached to a Prominent. In my experience, the lens the generally sells for $125 to $150 USD in the Prominent mount. The Prominent to Contax adapter on my lens cost $50 from eBay seller foto-hobby (based in Poland). A recent check of Prominent to LTM adapters showed the eBay seller photo-arsenal-germany sells them for $328.

The Nokton is a very rare collectible in anything other than the Prominent mount- Voigtlander made a very limited number in LTM and Contax RF mounts. I remember a Nokton in LTM selling for $2400 this summer on eBay; there was even an "Can You Believe How Much This Lens Sold For?" thread on RFF about the auction. Canon 50/1.5s generally sell in the range of $250 to $300 on eBay.

I think that the Canon 50/1.5 is pretty similar to the Nokton, except I think that the Nokton has a bit more contrast. Both the Canon and Nokton seem to be well controlled for flare, i.e., very little.

I don't know about the lens formula of the Nokton (have to look it up in the Vade Mecum CD), but I think that it produces images similar to the Sonnar.

Last edited:
raid said:
I am aware of the facts stated by you above, but this lens was not tested/used before by its owner (Kiu) and when used with theNikon S2 I got very poor results. It looked as if the lens needed some shimming to get proper focus. When I then used it [again] on the Bessa R2C without the appropriate Nikon-Contax adapter, I may have given it the proper shimming. I am not aware that this Nikkor is made in Contax mount.

Greetings,

Raid

Raid: OK, thanks for clarification. It would be interesting to hear also the owner's comments about the lens and possible focusing errors with other Nikon bodies, if Kiu wants and has time to shoot with it later. And thank you again, for this massive lens test.

One more thing, when focusing with wide aperture lenses: take a look at this interesting EBL-table at http://www.cameraquest.com/leica.htm.

Last edited:
Jari: I used the Noctilux 50/1.0 wide open on my M3 hand held with better results than on my Bessa T on a tripod. Focusing was a snap with the M3.

Raid

raid said:
Jari: I used the Noctilux 50/1.0 wide open on my M3 hand held with better results than on my Bessa T on a tripod. Focusing was a snap with the M3.

According to that Stephen Gandy's webpage, which I mentioned, M3 has the most accurate RF and best to date for 50/1.

Mark: As you know, Fred loaned me the Nokton in LTM. This is another rare lens then.

Raid

Last edited:
jsuominen said:
According to that Stephen Gandy's webpage, which I mentioned, M3 has the most accurate RF and best to date for 50/1.

Yes, Jari, I read that part. I agree 100% with this claim. I had the easiest time focusing the lens on the M3. I could see quickly when I had the lens in focus and it came out as being in focus.

Raid

Last edited:
Noctilux

Noctilux

Fred: Here are a few photos taken with the Noctilux at candle light. I hope that they look good.

The Bessa T is not the best camera to use in very dim light. I could not focus accurately at 1.0, whereas the M3 allowed me to focus accurately and easily at 1.0. This is the first time in which the T let me down.

These images here were taken with the Bessa T.
Photo 1 [from left] is @ 1.0
Photo 2 @ 1.4
Photo 3 @ 2.0
Photo 4 @ 4.0

Regards,

Raid

Attachments

• Noctilux 1.0  at 1.0 (3) small.JPG
    Noctilux 1.0 at 1.0 (3) small.JPG
    658.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Noctilux 1.0  at 1.4 small.JPG
    Noctilux 1.0 at 1.4 small.JPG
    651.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Noctilux 1.0 at 2.0  (3) small.JPG
    Noctilux 1.0 at 2.0 (3) small.JPG
    635.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Noctilux 1.0  a 4.0 small.JPG
    Noctilux 1.0 a 4.0 small.JPG
    710.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi Raid,
I think its time to post a new thread. You have taken the task of using 25 normal(50mm) lenses...lets try to compare groups of 2 to three lenses.
I suggest posting comparable pix of the 3 fastest lenses( Canon 0.95, Leica 1.0 and Nikkor 1.1) consisting the best image you think each lens provided.
I know right now you are kinda overwhelmed by the number of the lenses you used for this comparison, but think about the possibility of posting new threads comparing 2-3-4 lenses.

Kiu

Kiu,

I agree with your suggestion.
I already was thinking along this line, and I started posting such side by side images in the thread on the Canon 50mm/1.2. It is not reasonable to expect in-depth comparisons for so many lenses.

Raid

P.S. I have started a new thread!

Last edited:
I have now packaged almost all photo equipment sent tome, and I am just waiting to take them to the post office. It is so tempting to unwrap the Nikkor 50/1.1 and the Canon 50/0.95, but I won't do it.

Raid

Back