fixed lens RF coupling (+ 40mm query)

OlivierAOP

medium format
Local time
4:09 AM
I've modded a Zorki RF with a 50mm Bronica for a panoramic 24x60mm picture frame. I managed to couple the lens to the cam follower for RF focussing.

I'd like to do the same with a Bronica 40mm, and I'm wondering how is the RF coupling done on the fixed-lens RFs. Is it via a cam follower as well?

By a lot of googling I found a couple fixed 40mm RFs that have a wide film gate (Canodate and Rank Mamiya). I'd like to ask the collective here if they know other candidates...

A Voigtlander Vito rangefinder that I took apart had merely a pin that pushed against a lever in the RF mechanism. That pin was fit to the back of the part of the lens assembly that moves in/out for focussing. The movement of the pin thus was 1:1 with the helicoid extension.

Obviously, for an interchangeable lens RF, for focal lengths other than 50mm, the movement of the follower can not be 1:1 with the helicoid extension.

The Hanimex in bits on my desk has a simple lever that is pushed around by a lump on the helical. Very crude but works.

Thanks both! I found a few repair manuals and indeed it seems there is a little plate connected to the RF that is pushed by a pin on the helicoid.

Back