Fixing an Opton LTM Sonnar 50mm f/1,5

Räuber

Established
Local time
5:36 PM
I've got a new Sonnar and it is not working. It is an Oberkochen Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1,5 in LTM mount. It is one of those strange adapted ones that look like it could be done by Zeiss Oberkochen.

The issue with mine is that the focusing part is not working. The lens looks perfectly fine with lean glass and working aperture. The LTM part however turns in cycles without extending or shortening the lens or stopping at a hard stop. You can turn the focus infinitely but it is very tough to move.

I unscrewed the lens as far as it was possible without removing screws.

IMG_5070_resize.jpgIMG_5071_resize.jpgIMG_5072_resize.jpg

There are 3 rings (front row). 2 of those rings can be screwed to the lens block (left and middle ring). The third ring has no thread (right ring). The middle and right ring seem to form the end part of the lens and are used to screw the LTM part tight to the lens block from the back end of the lens. Therefore you can stick the middle ring into the right ring and screw them both to the lens lens block. The function of the left ring is puzzling me. It was screwed to the highest part to the lens block. In theory it could help to decide how far the lens block would enter into the LTM part but in practice it leads to that the aperture ring can't be used anymore because the lens will turn to easily because it slides on the ring. Maybe some shims or other rings are missing here.

I screwed the ring to the lens block so that you can see what the supposed order could be.
IMG_5077_resize.jpgIMG_5078_resize.jpgIMG_5079_resize.jpg

Since the LTM part needs some repair I looked for how to take it apart. Well there is not much to see. There is a tiny hole you can see when looking from the back. And there is one small screw inside the tube... I have no idea how to unscrew this and screw it back without getting nuts.

IMG_5075_resize.jpg

Any idea how to get this lens back to a working state?

Last edited:
The ring that you screwed all the way to the aperture ring- I call the "variable Standoff ring", which controls the distance to the image plane when the barrel is in the standard Contax mount. The retaining ring screws in, and the variable stand-off ring is used for position. It usually would not be up against the aperture mechanism. The brass ring- a larger diameter, maybe to hold position in the LTM mount? I would try using the "Variable Stand-off Ring" to control distance, the brass ring is like a "washer" and the barrel will be held in place once the retaining ring is in. The LTM mount looks different from all I've seen, a real custom job.

Hard to tell from just pictures- a real jigsaw puzzle, helps to have it in front of you to try fitting parts.

IMG_5086_resize.jpg

I don't know how but I got it apart.

The hole at the inside tube is only a hole, no screw. I don't know if the hole at the bottom leads to a tiny screw but I tried to use a size 1 screw driver and maybe I unscrewed something or not. In the end I had to use force and pulled the adapter apart under constantly rotating.

You can see the result. It looks a bit gross. What to do next? Cleanup everything and look how it is constructed? The lubricant probably needs replacement.

IMG_5088_resize.jpg

Cleaned it up a little bit. You can see the hole of the inner tube on the left part. At the right part I found something surprising under the lubricant. It seems like both parts were glued together. The inner tube of the left part was glued to the brass ring of the lower part. I could only bring it apart because the glue stopped working. Or is it something else then glue?

Last edited:
I've seen old grease that hardens as thick as glue- days in acetone or alcohol to get apart.

Is the helical on the right? Does it extend as it is focused? If so- maybe the part was glued in.

IMG_5089_resize.jpg

Tried it again with pure force and got it apart. The inner brass ring of the helical was stuck and did not move. I had to kinda break it out of the thread. Cleaned everything up a little bit and here is the result.

It looks to me that the upper part was indeed glued to the brass helical ring. The thing with this ring is it gets stuck pretty easy. Might have happened before and then someone broke the glue with pure force. After this the jammed helical did not focus at all and the lens only turned cycles with a lot of force.

Looks nice and simple but I fear this design is not very good.

It might look like the typical Contax mount thread but when I tried to slide the ring into a disassembled adapter made from a Kiev camera the ring was to big (barely) and screwing the inner tube of the adapter into this one here showed that the Kiev thread is indeed to narrow.

Any ideas how to fix this adapter without jamming it again? I have no idea how the helical should work with a fix stop though.

Rauber, you are more adventurous than I am! Not only is the design probably not good, the machining of the parts looks crude. Best of luck getting it to work, I am enjoying seeing how this lens was hacked together.

Last edited:
Back