Flatbed scanner for prints

.JL.

Established
Local time
12:38 AM
I need some recommendation on flatbed scanner to scan some old 4x6 proof prints before they fade or get lost. I took these pictures of my friends in high school and the negs are no where to be found. :bang:

I want to get high quality prints from these scans, at least 6x9 in size.

It would be nice to use it to scan my medium format film for the web as well, but this is not critical.

Epson V700 is good, for both prints and negatives, and has film holders for MF. (I only use it for 35mm at the moment though.)

Ian

I am looking at the Epson 4490 myself. It's a whole lot cheaper than the V700, and does MF as well (I know for sure 6x6 will work. Don't know about 6x9.)

I've read that it will not deliver too good results when scanning negs (trouble keeping them flat, etc), but it is a high-end flatbed scanner, so prints should be come out very well.

Price for the Epson 4490 should be around $200. The v700 is around $500.

If your just going to use it to scan prints then really any flatbed unit will work. Have a look on evilbay for a Microtek 5900, this unit will scan up to 4"x9" film and 8x10 prints. They can be had for as little as $20.

ChrisL said:
If your just going to use it to scan prints then really any flatbed unit will work. Have a look on evilbay for a Microtek 5900, this unit will scan up to 4"x9" film and 8x10 prints. They can be had for as little as $20.

I wouldn't mind the savings, if the $20 scanners can give me quality scans from my prints equal to those from the V700. If I interpret your comment correctly, the price difference only pays for the improvement in scanning film, and there is no material improvement in print scanning quality (?).

.JL. said:
I wouldn't mind the savings, if the $20 scanners can give me quality scans from my prints equal to those from the V700. If I interpret your comment correctly, the price difference only pays for the improvement in scanning film, and there is no material improvement in print scanning quality (?).

All FB scanners are originally designed to scan reflective material so the quality doesn't change much between them when scanning prints. The better units are enhanced to scan smaller objects like film.

Many of the answers here are addressing only resolution. The other very important factor is dynamic range, or the ability to give good detail in the shadows and highlights. It's true that almost any flatbed will give you sharp scans with decent color, but you'll end up with a lot of black areas where you can see detail in the shadows of your original or end up with bright white in areas that had light color. This pertains to scanning of both film and flat art. Save up some money and get something decent-you'll be glad that you did.

Back