Flickr

I must admit that I rarely ever use Flickr these days and its groups even less.
Most of the stuff I do is for immediate friends so that gets posted on FB or within groups on FB.
The other platform I use is IG although often the audience comprises of the same people .
Since there is no longer a requirement to use Flickr to enable posting on this site I`ve actually considered stopping my account altogether although I do sometimes use Flickr to check meta data .
Never think in terms of a wider audience tbh but if I do I post here.

The photo editing tool on Flickr is excellent. Flickr is useful for showing the slightly better photos. Photos are viewed by more people than the photos on RFf. I think Flickr gives a good idea of the status of my photos. The photo's are watched mainly by strangers. I'm getting to know the viewers on RFf a bit, but on Flickr are mainly people watching who are completely unknown to me.

Never think in terms of a wider audience

Well said and same here.

I know my limitations, I know I'm only so good but I'll never be great. Greatness is reserved for the fortunate few.

I'm not on Flickr or any other platform. I'm not interested in sharing with total strangers. I like RFF because I know that it's like sharing pictures with family. Some of the family members think your shit stinks, but they politely hold their nose and refrain from criticizing. And, sometimes they do criticize but it's tempered and they know that their turn is coming.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a person can come to RFF and share their pictures without fear or favor because everyone here is sailing in the same boat.

Last thing... "Likes" . I was not a fan of introducing "Likes" to RFF. The over-use of "likes" can leave a person who doesn't get a like on their picture feeling left out in the cold. To the people who post a picture that doesn't receive a like I say: "A picture without a like is not a bad picture. Creativity is not a popularity contest. And, stay true to yourself!"

As usual, I've over shared.

Mike

Showing my photos to a lot of strangers can inspire a few of them to get deeper into photography,
to increase their seeing ability or simply entertain them (and turn some of them into something like friends).
The same happens to me all the time and these are enough reasons for me to stay on flickr.

simply entertain them (and turn some of them into something like friends).
The same happens to me all the time and these are enough reasons for me to stay on flickr.
Likewise. Also, the platform is fast, stable, photo specific, easy to use, includes an excellent search function, and I don't see any advertising.

Likewise. Also, the platform is fast, stable, photo specific, easy to use, includes an excellent search function, and I don't see any advertising.
Must admit that the no advertising is a plus .
Thinking more about what I posted earlier and echoing what Mike subsequently added.
Back in the day we took pictures and most likely they were left in the folders from the store and maybe eventually put in a box.
Maybe you looked at them a few times, showed them your mum and dad but it never entered your head that anybody else would be remotely interested in them.
I think that is how I still look at the process.
Why would anybody be interested ?
I do post (posted a few from today on Flickr) but its not a natural thing for me to do ... is what I think I`m trying to say.
For some reason though I find it easier to post here and for some odd reason on IG.
IG for me has the benefit of a much wider range of professional work which I appreciate .
Just loathe the adverts.

I use Flickr as a barometer for my own work, not for getting 'likes' as such but in knowing it's in a public place under the public gaze and how does that make me feel about it. It's all too easy to exist in a bubble and without putting something out there self questioning can go out the window. It's a parallel to being in a print crit with a tutor and you have to explain yourself, even if it's only thinking 'I could have done that better'.

I use Flickr as a barometer for my own work, not for getting 'likes' as such but in knowing it's in a public place under the public gaze and how does that make me feel about it. It's all too easy to exist in a bubble and without putting something out there self questioning can go out the window. It's a parallel to being in a print crit with a tutor and you have to explain yourself, even if it's only thinking 'I could have done that better'.
I think that we all question what we do.
I certainly do but I`m not sure that posting affects that doubt in one way or the other .
I do actually post an awful lot of my shots (probably up to seventy per percent ) because I take them all for a specific audience and a good barometer of worth I guess is how many they nick for their own FB pages and profiles :)
However non of that stuff would be of any interest on this board or any of the other sites.
I do look at your work on Flickr and very nice it is too.

Reactions: SWB
Must admit that the no advertising is a plus .
Thinking more about what I posted earlier and echoing what Mike subsequently added.
Back in the day we took pictures and most likely they were left in the folders from the store and maybe eventually put in a box.
Maybe you looked at them a few times, showed them your mum and dad but it never entered your head that anybody else would be remotely interested in them.
I think that is how I still look at the process.
Why would anybody be interested ?
I do post (posted a few from today on Flickr) but its not a natural thing for me to do ... is what I think I`m trying to say.
For some reason though I find it easier to post here and for some odd reason on IG.
IG for me has the benefit of a much wider range of professional work which I appreciate .
Just loathe the adverts.

I guess I have always had different experiences with photography. I first started making photographs when I was 8-10 years old, and my father, mother, and uncle were all very interested in what I was creating. I entered High School and immediately joined the Photo Staff, was shooting for the school publications and year book. Just as I look to other photographers' work for inspiration, I've been told by many that they look at my Flickr stream (and all the other places I post photos to) and find inspiration from my work there. There's nothing so fulfilling as the feeling I get that someone has been helped by seeing my photographs.

I no longer do photography for a living or plan to make any income from it, but I continue to post to Flickr and other photo sharing mechanisms because sharing my photographs and learning from other peoples' vision, et al, is what it's all about to me. I've met many many people through sharing photographs and enjoyed great times with them over the years.

To just stick them in a box and only look at them myself now and then seems to miss the whole joy of doing Photography.

G

I guess I have always had different experiences with photography. I first started making photographs when I was 8-10 years old, and my father, mother, and uncle were all very interested in what I was creating. I entered High School and immediately joined the Photo Staff, was shooting for the school publications and year book. Just as I look to other photographers' work for inspiration, I've been told by many that they look at my Flickr stream (and all the other places I post photos to) and find inspiration from my work there. There's nothing so fulfilling as the feeling I get that someone has been helped by seeing my photographs.

I no longer do photography for a living or plan to make any income from it, but I continue to post to Flickr and other photo sharing mechanisms because sharing my photographs and learning from other peoples' vision, et al, is what it's all about to me. I've met many many people through sharing photographs and enjoyed great times with them over the years.

To just stick them in a box and only look at them myself now and then seems to miss the whole joy of doing Photography.

G
Absolutely right and thank you for the reminder .
Its the social aspect which is the prime motivator for me.
I remember fondly your series from the Isle of Man ( just off the coast from where I currently live).
Brought back a lot of childhood memories.

Much appreciated!
This will encourage me to shoot with my Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 SL more often. I use it on the Panasonic S5 and sometimes Canon 5D Mark II. It was often on the Canon as it was compact and fast. 40mm is a nice focal length, not so confining as 50mm but more intimate than 35.

It's good to see activity on flickr, as it has been around for quite a long time, and participating is like continuing a fun tradition of the past.

Back