Focal length for landscapes

I really love the 60mm CF for landscapes with my Hassy, for most purposes. It's the one lens you don't have (or did they even continue that focal length?), so it will feed your G.A.S. (if you have it) to get one :).

To concentrate on landscape I'd go with the Mamiya (adding a 150 if you can find a secondhand one - amazingly sharp and well corrected lens) or the hassy.

I've got 43, 80 and 150 for my Mamiya and use the 80 and 150 far more than the 43. In 35mm I also like short teles and since getting a cheap 135 have realy enjoyed that on the rangefinders.

Mike

Anything can do for landscapes. I am using a combination of wide angle (17mm), 50mm and 135mm. I mostly use 50mm and 135mm.

So true. It includes choice of lenses and film format. There have been times when I wanted 35mm and times I wanted something larger, such as MF or LF. I tend towards normal or wide lenses, but again, it depends.

I expect you are accustomed to using all your cameras, so you just need to see how you "see" in landscape, for what you prefer. There will be times you will want a wider lens, and times you will want a wider negative. Or, a smaller negative and a telephoto. Those things only come by the experience of trying things and realizing you could have gotten a shot more pleasing to yourself with a different camera than the one you used.

Kids are growing up and not amenable to having pictures taken.

Am interested in landscapes, using B&W film. Is a more common focal length used for landscapes? I know this is a very general question but can one post examples with focal lengths used.

I have 35mm, 6x6 (Hasselblad), 6x7 (Mamiya 7II) and 6x9 (Fuji 690 GSW and GW III) cameras available. Having many lenses but I would like to limit myself to one main system as I would like to buy only one set of filters.

Besides medium red and yellow, any other filter colors would you suggest? I live in NJ and Nantucket so would have options of foliage and beach as subjects.

I use the same set of 67mm filters with my Fuji 6X9s, Hasselblad 80mm CF (w/ b60-67mm adapter), and long (135mm, 150mm, & 200mm) Pentax 6x7 lenses. The 45mm Pentax 6x7 uses 82mm filters. Even with my 35mm Nikon SLRs the wide 20mm UD lens uses larger filters (72mm) than everything else (52mm).

My favorite filter and film combination is TMAX 100 and a Hoya O(G) or Nikon O56 orange filter. I almost never use yellow for landscapes. For beach & ocean shots a ND grad can be very useful. It can help temper the very bright sand or surf foam by using the dark side down. A blue filter can enhance fog making it appear denser.

My favorite landscapes have all been taken with the Fuji 6x9s. They are also the easiest to hike with. If I really want to travel light I take the Fuji GA645zi. It uses the same 52mm filters as most of my Nikon lenses and works well on a light tripod.

On 35mm format, anything shorter than 35mm focal length forces you to include either a lot of foreground or a lot of sky. Here is a repost with examples that I posted in this thread: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83091; nothing special, but hopefully you see what I mean:

28mm:

195947744_xtFnK-XL.jpg

35mm:

195928625_sxHh8-O.jpg

50mm:

126035206_WnQZa-XL-1.jpg

90mm:

223937992_kGxib-XL.jpg

200mm:

80514270_9K65S-O.jpg

Cheers,

Roland.