focus setting

albertospa

Established
Local time
3:39 AM
I see so many beautiful photos taken from all of you with Sony A7 and optical properties of other brands. I would like to know the various methods and settings used to focus on that.

Maybe your question is too open ended, but for "other brand" lenses I assume we are discussing manual focusing on the A7. There is focus peaking, and magnification. Both are more precise through the viewfinder, but I get acceptable results using the screen as well.

Focus peaking comes in 3 colors and 3 sensitivities. Peaking highlights any edge that is "in focus". It is effective across the entire frame. I use peaking the most, so I dedicated buttons on the back of the A7 to toggle peaking settings (mainly for low light vs bright light shooting). In use, peaking works like this: http://youtu.be/P6HnMu7ANUE?t=10m11s

Magnification, I think, is pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the reply. I use the focus-picking but I tried that often is not accurate, then also use the magnification. I use these settings with the buttons in the correct positions. But all this is not suitable for quick photo. Maybe I should learn to do it quickly. What do you think? Which color and grade used for the focus picking?

The color and strength I adjust on the fly. I normally use c3 for the peaking color and toggle the AF/AEL switch to adjust peaking strength when it's at AEL.

IMO this really is a factor of how much you practice. I remember finger positioning on specific focal lengths (1m, 3m) and pre-focus before I look through the viewfinder. I also focus wide open and then stop down as needed, which requires counting click stops (6 clicks from F1.4 to F2.8).

With a bit of experience you can become very fast with both peaking and magnification. Soon the entire process becomes second-nature, and you finish a shot before you even realized it :D

4.jpg

A NEX-7 photo with the 50mm Summilux. The focus process is no different from the A7, though.

Back