Focus tab for the Ultron 1.7?

totifoto

Well-known
Local time
1:30 PM
I have the Ultron f1.7 and saw the other day that there is a screw at the bottom that can be unscrewed....

154440.jpg

Does this screw actually do anything or is this a hole for a focusing tab like the 21/25 and the 28 f3.5 lenses have?

I unscrewed it once and 3 clowns popped out and danced the hoedown:dance::D. Hell I don't know either.

I'm pretty sure the Ultron comes with a little focusing tab. I can check when I get home, but i'm pretty sure I removed a little screw in tab that came with mine.

I'm pretty sure the Ultron comes with a little focusing tab. I can check when I get home, but i'm pretty sure I removed a little screw in tab that came with mine.

Mine did not :( Bought it used and never thought about this until now.

Correct me if I´m wrong but the 28/2 Ultron has a tab which might fit there.
That woud be sweet!

Any ideas where I can buy these tabs? Cant seem to find them anywhere.

A very low cost solution is to put a cable tie (or zip tie) around the focus ring. Make sure the knobby end of the cable tie is where you expect the tab to be. Cut off the excess length and you have your homemade tab. A friend had it on his 50 Summilux and it worked very well.

The good thing about this method is that one can remove the "tab" at any time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tie

Great idea. Tried it a few years ago. Doesn't really work. Apart from that -- still a great idea.

Cheers,

R.

Great idea. Tried it a few years ago. Doesn't really work. Apart from that -- still a great idea.

Cheers,

R.

Well I just tried on my Ultron and ZM planar and it seems to work just fine. I can focus alot faster now.

In what way does it not really work? Wont last for long?

Great idea. I bought my lens new - I think - and don't remember getting a focusing spar. When I get home, I'll take the one out of the 21 Skopar and try it in the 35.

I finally tried the 21 spar on the 35 with mixed results. The screw in the 35 is VERY short - if you take it out, do so over a tray or something to catch it when it falls. The 21 spar seems to have the same thread and goes into the 35 easily, but it is much longer. When I screwed it in tight, the lens would not focus - no movement. If I backed it out a bit, it worked fine, but that seems like a recipe for losing the spar the first time out. So I put the screw back in the 35 and the spar back in the 21. Great idea, not so great in practice.

I think the Steer wouldn't be that great on the Ultron... the Ultron has a focusing ring already, but we just want a tab as well like so many other M mount lenses.

Back