Focussing question for Summaron 35 / 3,5 LTM.

When an LTM lens is at 1M, the RF cam should be flush with the ends of the LTM threads. At infinity, they should protrude out.

picture.php

The J-3 above is an example, correctly aligned for infinity focus.

This Summaron looks like the helical was misassembled, or intentionally misassembled for close-up work.

I have the best impression of Sherry's magic touch and for sure she woulb the solution, but...

I am located in Greece and to my experience, it could take up to three months, for an item coming outside of EU to depart greek custom services.

Not to forget the amount of time that Sherry needs for her magic.

And also, I'm leaving in a week for north Norway and I would like to have Summaron for wide angle work...

Is it normal for an LTM Summaron to have the mount threads extend so far into the camera, or is the helical mis-assembled on this lens?

I'm looking at my Canon 35/2.8, and the extension of the RF cam past the threads is identical to the J-3 shown. There is no need for a cut-out in the threads for the RF pickup wheel of the camera to follow the RF cam into the threads.

I had the same question in my head, actually. His lens DOES focus and expose correctly at infinity though, which means that it's set up right. The fact that the cam surface sits below the mounting threads when at close focus is a bit confusing. I checked all my LTM lenses and only my CV Ultron 28mm has the cutout in the threads. All 7 of my other lenses here don't have a cutout like that. My thought is that the mount was changed sometime in the past. Another thing I just came up with may be that in changing the LTM mount, a helical from a 35 Elmar could have been used? Or maybe a 50mm? Hmm. Now I'm grasping at straws, but trying to explain why this lens is different from all the others. :confused:

My guess is the lens is alright, and the m39 helical is slightly damaged or most likely only dirty (has happened to me in the past). Which is why I encouraged the OP to try to tighten the adapter a bit more.

My Summaron doesn't work on FSU bodies I've tried for a similar reason - the cutout doesn't match the threading. I too would have expected an official adapter to get the threading correct... No chance its a knockoff? :)

When you focus on something exactly 2m away, does your lens scale also indicate 2m or something else?

(I am just checking if the Summarons in question were like the "convertible" 2.8 Summarons, i.e. the M-mount together with the googles are taken out to reveal the screw mount...)

Back