Follow up to "x pro mishaps from Saturday"

Johnhw

Established
Local time
8:28 PM
All,

First, i want tot hank everyone for their responses and help in this forum. I started the above thread (a few threads down) after having a totally frustrating time trying the x pro. What a difference some help makes...

I said I would explain why I now own a x pro and my change of heart...so here goes.

Several of you directed me to links that had settings that were very, very helpful. I can honestly tell you that these settings make all the difference in how this camera functions...and especially the ability to ficus. Changing to AF corrected ON, and AREA focusing mode made a HUGE difference. I had told my dealer friend about these a few days before I got there and he had made the changes ready for me.

WHHOOOAAAA...this was an entirely different camera. The focus accuracy, which had been my big frustration was totally gone. I experience none of the red squares telling me focus could not be made. i thought they switched cameras on me. i was so excited!!! Loving the OVF...what fun.

On her flip side let me talk about the OMD for a moment. They had a body only they were holding for me though I wanted the kit with the 12-50 lens. I owned a Ep3 which actually felt better in my hands. The replaced buttons on the OMD are cramped and I do not like the placement as much. The IS system is very cool though, focusing is very, very fast, and the ability to curve highlights/shadows int he viewfinder very functional. But, I decided to wait for the kit because I was having so much fun finally getting the x pro to do as I originally expected. So...to home with me it came.

Saturday night at dinner with light coming through the glass, the colors and images I got of my son and his girlfriend and wife really made me smile. I have to post about processing because i know I have done something stupid to my Epson 1400 as the monitor colors are all matching except the skin tone in printing which appears to be deeper red...I must have hit something and will do a question in the appropriate forum.

All images on the computer look wonderful...bokeh is great. The only lens I have at the moment is the 35...but it will not be my last. i also got a step up ring and have been using my 77mm CPL and my Cannon 500D close up filter which is cool.

Anyway...THANK YOU ALL...what a giant help you were and I am a happy x pro owner exploring my new toy.

Glad to hear that it's working out for you. From my experience with the X100, there is a learning curve which Fuji doesn't help with its interface and relatively poor documentation, so it's great that there are helpful forums out there like RFF. Interesting to read your thoughts on the OM-D---I'm about to get one in about...ten minutes! I'll let you know how my impression compares. Haven't held the X-Pro 1 or even seen it...it's a bit out of my price range and I need more of a swiss army knife of a camera like the OM-D--to compliment the X100. Enjoy OVF shooting, it is a very special interface and a good part of the reason RFFers are so passionate. The X series cameras seem to be trying to determine if the "rangefinder passion" is more about the ovf than the focusing type, and the popularity of both of the cameras here indicates that it might be at least as much about the window as the patch.

macjim,

your link to Pertteri's Pontifications was extremely helpful.

dreaily,
I don;t know if you have used the little Oly's before. It only felt different to me because I was so comfortable with the Ep3. They moved the "playback" button up near the hump and the small buttons instead of the wheel feel different to me. But it has some great features and is a very versatile system and appears m43 is coming of age. Focus is very fast and the touch screen makes it all that much easier. I will still get one for other work unless I just get to carried away with the new X system.

JayC..

That would be quite a feat wouldn't it...lol
Meant my wife of course...she was smiling as it was a holiday.

Johnhw said:
macjim,

your link to Pertteri's Pontifications was extremely helpful.

dreaily,
I don;t know if you have used the little Oly's before. It only felt different to me because I was so comfortable with the Ep3. They moved the "playback" button up near the hump and the small buttons instead of the wheel feel different to me. But it has some great features and is a very versatile system and appears m43 is coming of age. Focus is very fast and the touch screen makes it all that much easier. I will still get one for other work unless I just get to carried away with the new X system.

No, I was a lover of the Olympus OM-1n and lenses but I'm afraid the 4/3rds modern take on it didn't entice me. I fell the camera looked like a Chinese knock off rather than a retro look and the small sensor too was not on. I know it gets some really good reviews but the X-Pro1's APS-C sensor etc is the winner for me. Glad to have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back