For the Love Of Tri-X / Post your pictures

Leica M3, Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v2, TriX.

Erik.

8520364208_3462ea3946_c.jpg

1970s Tri X was grainier but somehow looked better in the final image than today's version, as it imparted its own special look on the print.

1970s Tri X was grainier but somehow looked better in the final image than today's version

Yes, I agree, it looks as if the old TriX had two layers, one for the light tones and the other for the dark ones. The TriX of today seems to be a single layer emulsion. I am not sure of it, but it seems to be so. The modern TriX is more graphical, less painterly, so to speak.

Erik.

Yes, I agree, it looks as if the old TriX had two layers, one for the light tones and the other for the dark ones. The TriX of today seems to be a single layer emulsion. I am not sure of it, but it seems to be so. The modern TriX is more graphical, less painterly, so to speak.

Erik.

I agree, there seemed to be a unique 3D kind of velvity luminosity, despite the obvious grain, especially noticeable from 35mm negative print enlargements obtained from 1970s Tri X.

1970s Tri X was grainier but somehow looked better in the final image than today's version, as it imparted its own special look on the print.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is available today, if anything, which looks like old Tri-X (taking processing into account)?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is available today, if anything, which looks like old Tri-X (taking processing into account)?

I found Fomapan 400 a bit similar to old Tri X in grain and look sometimes, except for the box speed, unpredictability in certain lighting situations (lacking proper anti-halation backing) and even in controlled development and of course quality control.

Thanks, have never tried Fomapan 400. Will go over to filmdev.org and see what I can find.
I know I should just settle on an emulsion or two, and get on with life, just can't seem to get there.

Back