For the members that can't be bothered to comment on photos.

MP Guy

Just another face in the crowd
Staff member
Local time
6:12 PM
We need more feedback as photographers. As you know, we tend to get lazy and simply pass on commenting when a photo really deserves one. Having said that, I have made things really easy for you to comment when you see a photograph you really like.

You now have the ability to create custom comment phrases in your profile. Then, when you browse the gallery or gallery portal, as you hover over the thumbnails, your list of custom phrases will show up in the caption. Simply click on the custom phrase you like and that comment will be added to the photograph.

You can edit your phrases but the edits will only apply to new comments. Simply log on and visit your Gallery profile page. On the left side of the page you will see "Manage Comment Phrases" Click on that and you are good to go.

So there! No excuses :)

Over at Cameraderie they have a like, a cool & a winner emoji. I use them to imply a varying level of appreciation for an image and that a far more useful way to respond to photographers.

You can use emojis in @MP Guy 's comment tool if you like for your own custom comment. Could create some default emoji comments, too that everyone could use.

The standard reactions for threads

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 7.40.22 PM.png

could be expanded to include whatever default emojis are added to the gallery, and vise versa, so they match.

Reactions: dct
Works for me. And I can see others have added phrases already.

Are these the steps you followed?

Add comment phrases. ( I don't see that you added any )
View thumbnails
Hover over thumbnail and click on comment you wish to add.
confirm to comment
Takes you to the photo page.

What photo was it?

We need more feedback as photographers. As you know, we tend to get lazy and simply pass on commenting when a photo really deserves one. Having said that,
I find I am typically unable to give feedback on any photo as I have little clue what the photographer was attempting to accomplish. I have no high, medium, or low scale based on some generic "overall goodness" of a single photo. Sometimes a photographer will give a clue when they tell you the location, date, or circumstances thus you know what message they are trying to convey. But many photos here can only be responded as "yes, that particular film, developer, and time works well" so you get 5 stars.

Plus, we would all like to believe that our personal work is so compelling that everyone will form an opinion and take the time to express it. It just ain't so.

I find I am typically unable to give feedback on any photo as I have little clue what the photographer was attempting to accomplish. I have no high, medium, or low scale based on some generic "overall goodness" of a single photo. Sometimes a photographer will give a clue when they tell you the location, date, or circumstances thus you know what message they are trying to convey. But many photos here can only be responded as "yes, that particular film, developer, and time works well" so you get 5 stars.

Plus, we would all like to believe that our personal work is so compelling that everyone will form an opinion and take the time to express it. It just ain't so.

I'm with Bob on this. As I wrote in this thread from last year, I need my photography to be part of a project. Therefore the evaluation should be done on and how and what the body of work communicates. This is more difficult about a single photo if we can only evaluate technical or aesthetic details.

I'm not interested in the "like": no reason to count how many they are if I do not know why someone likes a photo of mine!
To write a few words does not take much time and it could be more useful. But I know, we are in the internet and in the "social" times, go fast...

Of course nothing wrong in taking pictures simply for the pleasure of it: I'm too guilty, the lakes photos I recently posted in the gallery were just made for the pleasure to use the old Lica X1 but now thinking of the drought which is already affecting my country where all rivers and lakes are much below usual levels they could be incorporate in a potential project ;)

Critical writing about photography is an art form in itself that can be learned and refined through practice. Read Criticizing Photographs by Terry Barrett. Look at examples by recognized practitioners like Rick Poyner and Janet Malcolm. One good way to start a critical appraisal of a photograph is to simply describe what you see in the picture.

I'm not sure that's necessary to make a comment. Just comment on what you, as a viewer, see in any given photo. You don't necessarily have to divine or grade the photographer's intent, unless perhaps the photographer discussed that as a part of posting the photo.

I'm with Bob on this. As I wrote in this thread from last year, I need my photography to be part of a project. Therefore the evaluation should be done on and how and what the body of work communicates. This is more difficult about a single photo if we can only evaluate technical or aesthetic details.

I'm not interested in the "like": no reason to count how many they are if I do not know why someone likes a photo of mine!
To write a few words does not take much time and it could be more useful. But I know, we are in the internet and in the "social" times, go fast...

Of course nothing wrong in taking pictures simply for the pleasure of it: I'm too guilty, the lakes photos I recently posted in the gallery were just made for the pleasure to use the old Lica X1 but now thinking of the drought which is already affecting my country where all rivers and lakes are much below usual levels they could be incorporate in a potential project ;)

Same as comments to Bob.. there's no reason to apply the context of your own photographic efforts, and what you hope to achieve from them, to others' works.

I see the 'likes' simply as a way of me saying "your photo for whatever reason resonated with me", and read the likes that show up for mine the same way. I dont need multiple gradings of like, and dont keep a count of them. If participants' names are affiliated with the likes, i get to know over time what those people tend to resonate with.

I just don't see the point of canned "like phrases" to pick from. I comment when i see a photo or group of photos that stand out in some way, either individually or as a group. My comments are individual to the context of what I'm commenting on, specifically. I don't post photos with the notion of winning some popularity contest, or trying to get a lot of likes. I post photos for the pleasure of sharing what I do with others, and if a like or a comment that incites some interesting discussions ensues, more the better for it—but it's not "necessary" to my enjoying making the posts. I like to hear what others have to say about what I post, whatever they have to say. I don't see any comment as negative or positive; any sort of comment is an individual's opinion or question about the photo, so it's all good.

How to incite more commentary, how to get people participating in a photo forum to actually see, digest, formulate, and express ideas about the photographs posted .... that's a big question mark, and not something that I believe pre-canned "like" phrases or graded levels of likes, helps much with. What I find works best with other photo groups I participate in is if the photographer posts a photo, or a set of photos, with some context for why/what it is, what they're trying to achieve, and perhaps even an open question or two to the audience so that there's something on which to base a query or a comment.

And then there's the always difficult issue of what the function of the photo forum is. MOST photo forums incite discussions of equipment, workflow, techniques, etc. ... because these are concrete, complex things that can be delineated with fair ease and discussed with personal experiences or supporting technical data by others doing similar things with similar equipment. Few photo forums define themself around the notions of discussing the ideas of making photographs, or sets of photographs, so few photo forums tend to educate photographers much in how to discuss photographs other than in a technical sense. There is a wide abyss between a forum devoted to photographic equipment and technique vs a forum dedicated to the development of aesthetics of photographs...

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

I have to agree with Bob and Robert. My taste in photography is not mainstream these days and my opinions are naturally tainted by these prejudices. When I say I think Alex Soth's work is dull and bores the hell out of me and Nan Goldin's work makes me feel like I'm having to hold a soiled diaper, it's my opinion only and it doesn't jive with the current trends in art photography school. That pretty much puts me in such a position of out-of-touchness my comments are unworthy to share.

Plus I hate pictures of flowers. And waterfalls.

And pretty landscapes.

And....

Different online communities sort of develop their own shorthand and vibe. On Cameraderie there is literally a Vulcan salute variant on the like button, and that has naturally developed into expressing "this is cool and weird and/or nerdy or excessively specialized." Granted these things are not the same as a detailed comment, but then, neither are canned auto-responses.

I think people need to become reconciled to the fact that no response "means anything," except when a photo causes the viewer to stop and stare long enough, and feel enough, that they need to formulate a response as a reply. That's a rare enough scenario but your photos and mine are drops in a chaotic ocean of content that the modern web has become, so don't expect or feel like you deserve anyone to pause long over your photograph. However, having a variety of ways that people can quickly react, while it does not further the cause of photography as an art form, does contribute to a community feeling more human and natural.

Your going to hate my response. I like to look at photos posted here but will almost never feel the need to comment.

I look to see what I like and let that lead me on MY photographic journey. Why are so many tied up in what others think of their work? Do you like what you produce? Why do you care what I think? When I’m in a museum I’m not looking for a suggestion box to give feed back to the artist.

I like RFF because it’s not all wrapped up in criticism. Criticism just bores me.

Joe

Back