Fotogs May Need Permit and Insurance in NYC

This will make money for a lot of lawyers as the police arrest people and the courts are required to set rules the city refuses to. Nobody else will gain.

Well, actually other cities may if they in fact start enforcing these rules against tourists.

Who benefits?

I can imagine people being arrested and charged while covering protests or some misconduct. Another potential harrasment technique to keep people in line--Maybe.

I hope there is a good reason for this new policy...

Rangefinders will have an advantage because of their inconspicuousness but it is still a drag to have to look over your sholder for police and thieves (song by Junior Murvin)!

The way I read this, it doesn't apply to individuals, nor to those who don't stay in any one place for more than 1/2 hour.

any group of two or more people who want to use a camera in a single public location for more than a half hour to get a city permit and insurance.

For tripods, it seems like any less than 5 people (is this one tripod for 5 people, or 5 tripods?) does not need the permit.

The same requirements would apply to any group of five or more people who plan to use a tripod in a public location for more than 10 minutes, including the time it takes to set up the equipment.

I'm not exactly thrilled at stuff like this, but I don't see this as "The Sky Is Falling<tm>" for casual amateurs.

Now imagine that 10 members of the forum choose to meet in NYC. Would and RFF group shoot fall into the criteria? What about a large family with mom, dad and 5 kids, all with cameras?

I guess as long as they move fast enough, all would be well?

Al Patterson said:
Now imagine that 10 members of the forum choose to meet in NYC. Would and RFF group shoot fall into the criteria? What about a large family with mom, dad and 5 kids, all with cameras?

I guess as long as they move fast enough, all would be well?

Actually, two kids sitting in the park with cell phone cams would cross the threshold.

My main concern would be arbitrary and overzealous enforcement.

dmr said:
Actually, two kids sitting in the park with cell phone cams would cross the threshold.

My main concern would be arbitrary and overzealous enforcement.

Exactly. While this does bear watching, there is no need to get overly worked up about it.

So, when is the next RFF meeting in New York?

I hope they just turn down that Non Sense Law... if does not apply to families and amateurs to whom it does apply?
Nah... what's the objective... not a good one for sure.

Read carefully and specificly on the background

Read carefully and specificly on the background

Hi folks,

relax, read the article carefully, it starts with "...the major's office of film, theater etc. considers new rules". That means they are under discussion. When you read about the lawsuit by Indian doc. filmmaker R.Sharma after being detained and questioned for several hours then it becomes obvious that there are just some burocratical loopholes to fill in. America is the Mecca for lawsuits and everyone tries to cover his or her backside. The film office will have to establish rules after the settlement of this lawsuit, not because they want to crack down on amateur photogs or tourists. I wouldn't worry too much. And whenever a police officer is approaching you, use your common sense, explain what you are doing and when something is wrong appologize and you will get off with a warning. There usually is a fair amount of understanding with the NYC police when you are nice and you won't get arrested right away. Happy shooting (only photos:D ).

Icebear is right, NYPD is by in large a great and understand group of guys and gals. Best way around this issue is to walk 10 paces in front of any one in your group or behind.

They need to bring back Ed K, now that was a mayor!

B2 (;->

This will never pass to become law. And if it does, it will be struck down by the Supreme Court. It is clearly an unconstitutional restraint of free speech.

/T

Isn't there something too about being able to assemble and all?

(or at least compile? Bad joke for the geeks out there)

B2 (;->

Can it get passed in LA so we can stop the non-stop coverage of Paris Hilton?

I guess news crews would fall under this. I wonder if you need a blanket permit or a specific permit? 10 minutes for the production of a report will just lead to more sound bite journalism.

The camera phone angle is kind of interesting.

Damn that George Bush!

Back