Frame spacing problem in Mamiya 6

Niall Bell

Local time
2:54 AM
Hi,
I've a problem with my Mamiya 6.
The first frame always overlaps the leader tape and I get about 1/2 of a negative. At the other end of the film there is obviously sufficient excess film left to fit in another frame.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and any ideas about how to deal with this?

Thanks,

Niall.

I don't have a Mamiya 6, I do have a Mamiya 7 though so pardon my ignorance. Does the 6 have an indicator arrow where you advance the film to the "start" portion of the paper backing? It would seem to me you're not advancing the film enough at the beginning.

Todd

Todd,
Yes it does. Ths mis-spacing happens when the arrow is aligned correctly, and I've tried to offset this arrow to compensate, but to no avail.
Niall

Niall, forgive me if you know this, but has this problem only arisen recently and you'd been using the camera without a problem previously? Or is this camera new to you?

If the latter, after aligning the film leader with the start arrow and closing the back, are you winding the film on until the lever stops? Typically you wind the film on for a few frames then the lever can't be wound on anymore until you take a shot.

Hi,
yes I'm loading it correctly, was using a Hass for few years before getting rangefinder so am familiar with medium format. Fair enough question to ask though.

I've tried deliberately mis-aligning the film on loading to compensate for this but it seems to make no difference.

Niall

Niall Bell said:
Hi,
yes I'm loading it correctly, was using a Hass for few years before getting rangefinder so am familiar with medium format. Fair enough question to ask though.

I've tried deliberately mis-aligning the film on loading to compensate for this but it seems to make no difference.

Niall
I'm wondering how it makes no difference. I would have thought that it would have to make a difference. It is supposed to be automatic once you have set the film backing arrow mark to the camera arrow mark. With the back still open, if you wind the film, say, 30mm past that point, would not the frames be aligned 30mm further along the film? Is it possible that you're using the wrong mark on the film backing? Among the second tier of film makers, errors in printing marks on backing paper are not unknown.

Last edited:
How did you get on with the film loading problem? When I started using the Mamiya 6 it was such a relief after the Rolleiflex SL66 in which a mechanical sensor determines where the film starts by the thickness of the paper+film+tape. You can imagine how easy it is for that system to not work!

John,
I only just saw this- sorry.

It's been ok of late- so seems to be some intermittent problem. Not ideal really, so I'll need to consider seeing if I can still get this model overhauled.

I have to say that it's one of the best cameras I've ever used, and better even than my Hass., so I'd be sorry to see it fail permanently.

Niall

Back