Fuji 400H exposure techniques?

ljosha

Alexey Stepanov
Local time
10:50 AM
Hello.

I bought 20 rolls of Fuji 400H to shoot a couple of events in August. My subjects are people both indoors and outdoors.

There is a common opinion that this (and other color negs) benefits from overexposure. Some recommend EI 250, some even EI 100. With b/w film I usually measure shadows (with incident meter) and then adjust my exposure based on light (contrast, flat etc). With transparencies I expose for lights +1-2 stops. I guess with negs I should expose for shadows as well.

Which EI should I use with 400H and how to adjust the exposure for different light? I am planning to use my handheld incident meter.

How should I expose it in low light? Am I better off with 800Z in these conditions? I am thinking now to use Tri-X for everything over EI 800.

I have a very limited experience with color neg. films. Any advice will be appreciated. I hope to burn several rolls to see how it responds, but I will certainly benefit from a proper guidance. Thank you.

I'm not sure how to properly expose it, I recently shot a roll using sunny 16 and the results after being scanned were comparable to a cheap digital p&s. To be fair, I rarely use color negative as black and white always seems to come out better (I get my color done at walgreens)

I meter @ 400 with this film and rarely have thin negs, even for scanning. These are all run at a Pro Lab, their 4x6" scans.

C928-21A.jpg

C915-9.jpg
C927-21.jpg

Great greens, and great latitude with 400H.

800Z is a little contrastier, but only a little grainier.
C830-30A-1.jpg

C906-25A_sm.jpg

Last edited:
my fav colour neg film. i usually set it at iso 320 and expose for the shadows. i've had really good results exposing at 200 and adjusting the levels after scanning them.

exposed for shadows at 320 and adjusting levels afte scanning:
3522154986_bde71c167e_b.jpg

exposed at almost 200, adjusted levels after scanning:
3696937825_0a5e376323_b.jpg

hope that helped.

Back