Fuji RF's not spooling film tight ? Here's why...

Local time
4:43 PM
I did not discover this - but I was reminded of it today when I used my Fuji 645Zi today after a long hiatus....If you load and shoot a roll of Fuji film onto an empty Kodak spool, you will have a loosely rolled finished roll....Kodak film onto a Fuji spool - same issue...I am not sure why and it seems to occur in all the Fuji 645 cameras.... if you use Fuji film - use a Fuji spool to accept it....shoot Kodak and use a Kodak spool....if you do, it will be tightly rolled when shot....mix brands of film and spools and you'll have trouble.

Dan

Fuji 645 page
http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/fujirf.htm

Last edited:
dont know about other makers since I only shoot Fuji or Kodak.... I would use the same brand film spool as the film you use to ensure a tightly wound, finished roll.
Dan

clarence said:
Do they wind properly on Ilford spools?

Clarence

Although I've only had my Fuji for a week or so (GS645S) I've so far had just one roll that hasn't been properly wound which was Fuji Reversal on an Ilford spool. However I've also shot 3 other rolls of that film and they've also been wound onto Ilford spools and they're fine (As are the Ilford films in Fuji spools). My guess is that it's more important to get rid of any slack when you first load the film than the sort of spool used (in this case, anyway. I don't use Kodak film).

Its not a slack issue ( although loose slack will exacerbate the problem ). I always ensure there is NO slack, originally thinking that was the issue - but its not.......I have owned Fuji's for many years and it is the mis-match of film to spool brand causing this issue, not a slack issue :>

..... test it out for yourselves !

Best,

Dan

Last edited:
Looks like I'll have to start saving a couple of spools when I process my film in my college darkroom.

Clarence

Dan-
Interesting... I've used a GS645s for the last several years and run hundreds of rolls through it. Only once did I have the 'loose roll' problem, and it was very early on. I don't recall which film/ spool combination was involved.
I have noticed that Fuji and Ilford seem to cut the film and spool widths just slightly different.
For nearly all of the time I've had the camera it has been fed Ilford films.
I do take care to put just a little extra tension on the film as I wind before the back is closed, by putting finger pressure on the fresh roll.

Back