Fuji seriously investigating the launch of a full-frame compact system camera

I just look at the Fuji products and see them using unexploited market niches to get unusually high prices for their cameras. They sell the X-Pro for $200 more than the 7D, though if you *just* look at the spec sheets, it's hard to say why that's successful (I own both). The 7D almost certainly has a higher BOM (though the sensor is probably quite cheap now). If Fuji had launched the X-Pro sensor in a DSLR body, it would be a much harder sell than the unique form factor they currently use.

I don't think Fuji is looking to compete "directly" with any of the other camera makers. They want to be the Leica of prosumer cameras - purchased for their unique offerings rather than raw technical and value.

Back when they were leading up to the X-Pro release, Fuji was comparing it to the 5D2 directly. The 5D2, of course, has a full-frame sensor. They could have compared against a crop sensor, but they didn't, which says to me that they invite the comparison to FF sensors.

For a lot of people, form factor is EVERYTHING. It's not what a camera does, it's HOW it does it for me. Doesn't matter if the 7d is cheaper and has more features, it doesn't change that there aren't any prime lenses made for it's sensor (so in turn you have to resort to using the 35L for a 50mm lens, and 24L for a 35mm lens, which makes the camera HUGE and pushes the price WAY above the x-pro1 + lens prices.)

Form factor and UI.

Form factor and UI.

For a lot of people, form factor is EVERYTHING. It's not what a camera does, it's HOW it does it for me. Doesn't matter if the 7d is cheaper and has more features, it doesn't change that there aren't any prime lenses made for it's sensor (so in turn you have to resort to using the 35L for a 50mm lens, and 24L for a 35mm lens, which makes the camera HUGE and pushes the price WAY above the x-pro1 + lens prices.)

For me it is more than form factor.. It is UI. If the x tran sensor had the crapy Nex UI, I would never have bought it. The Sony rx1 and rx100 on the other hand are a breath of fresh air in comparison...

On the other hand, I have used Fuji products from xpan to GF670 to the 690. I was always confident they could deliver on the lens quality end..

There are only two cameras outside of the Leica digital m series that have a UI that I like, Ricoh gxr w/m module and the Fuji xp series (including xe1)..

Gary

Ps part of that UI experience is the ovf on the xp1...

Last edited:

I agree Gavin... ergonomics are very important to RF users. I have fun with the Fuji and Leicas, but do not with DSLRs. It's as simple as that.

Do you really think companies take into account used products when pricing its own products?

Companies consider all the potential substitutes to their products, it doesn't matter whether they are new or used. This is very basic microeconomics. What is the difference between losing market share to old cameras and losing market share to new cameras?

Companies consider all the potential substitutes to their products, it doesn't matter whether they are new or used. This is very basic microeconomics. What is the difference between losing market share to old cameras and losing market share to new cameras?

I would think that companies do thorough research with regard to competing products in the same sector, but cannot imagine them trying to do research with regard to if their camera will sell in a market which includes the history of all cameras made. Not as many people buy used as you would think. It takes experience to buy used...you have to know what you are looking for. I would gather that most cameras are sold as new to people who know very little about photography.

Back