Fuji TX-1 Metering

Ted Striker

Well-known
Local time
9:44 PM
Does a Fuji TX-1 meter the entire scene or just the 35mm viewpoint. How about when the 30mm lens is attached?

Are special considerations needed when metering super wide shots or does the meter accurately measure light in all areas?

You have a choice: average, spot, center-weighted and multi-area (matrix, whatever it's called). I've never used any mode but the multi-area, I watch the histogram and adjust exposure compensation as necessary. Works for me.

Does a Fuji TX-1 meter the entire scene or just the 35mm viewpoint. How about when the 30mm lens is attached?

Are special considerations needed when metering super wide shots or does the meter accurately measure light in all areas?

According to the manual of the XPan (which is the same, can be found here) the measurement mode of the XPan is a "centre-weighted" average reading and measures a field of approximately 20x30mm in the center of the shutter plane. This is the same for all lenses. Since the 30mm has a wider field of view, less of the image is taken into account.
This reading is pretty ok in my experience when you have enough light, with little light I tend to make two or three exposures depending on the film (slide is more critical here).

@Dogman: The question is about the TX-1 panorama camera which works with film, there is nothing like a histogram here.

It' center-weighted TTL, reflected off the pattern on the shutter curtain.

TIM_20181009224217.png

The default metering pattern, likely with the 45/4 attached.

Since the pattern is fixed, common sense would suggest it become a semi-spot meter with the 30/5.6 mounted.

You have a choice: average, spot, center-weighted and multi-area (matrix, whatever it's called). I've never used any mode but the multi-area, I watch the histogram and adjust exposure compensation as necessary. Works for me.

He is talking about the pano film camera..

It center weight meters from inside the 'regular' 35mm frame lines, not the pano frame lines.

OK, now I understand. I need to be far more careful metering with this camera than any other in my collection. That's a large portion of the image not metered!

Thanks everyone.

Xpan + 30mm cover so large that in my experience bracketting is the only solution.
Good lighting may be tricky and so contrasty sometimes that I was happy having exposed ( bracketting ) when in doubt.

To bracket don't exclude accurate metering though.

Back