Fujifilm reversal film prices. Beyond all reason...

Don't underestimate the power of Kodak's brand cachet. I would say of the newer film users that I talk to daily (younger users), a majority of them don't know what Fujifilm is, or think it's some sort of cheap aftermarket brand of film...

If B & H are not marking up excessively how does one account for the point that Bic in Japan are selling so much cheaper? It can't all be down to freight to NY.

They are marking up for sure, but to me, it seems everyone is. I cannot imagine paying these prices. These are prices for those who do not
photograph much. Wear your camera for the cool factor, snap a few photos of your friends, do it again next month.

"These are prices for those who do not photograph much. "

And for professionals who make enough money from their photography to be willing to pay high prices.

They are marking up for sure, but to me, it seems everyone is. I cannot imagine paying these prices. These are prices for those who do not
photograph much. Wear your camera for the cool factor, snap a few photos of your friends, do it again next month.

Do you know what Fujifilm is charging them wholesale? If you have a number, then we can discuss "large mark-ups".

"These are prices for those who do not photograph much. "

And for professionals who make enough money from their photography to be willing to pay high prices.

Pros really don't use slide film anymore. When I began doing commercial photography in the late 90s, virtually all commercial work was done on E-6 films. Usually the ones with realistic color like Fuji Provia and Ektachrome 100 Plus or the later Ektachrome E100s. Landscape photographers liked Velvia. Some landscape shooters still like Velvia, but commercial work is all digital now. Has been for nearly 20 years. The split second that Canon and Nikon started making DSLRs for less than $5000, the whole commercial photo field dumped film and never looked back. Even when film was cheap, the cost of it and the processing was a major expense for a photographer. I knew a couple of big commercial studios who spent over $100,000 a year just for film and processing!

There are two other common categories of professionals who I didn't mention. Photojournalists and wedding/portrait shooters. Photojournalists used either color negative film or black and white film. The local newspapers here had their own minilab that they shared so they could develop film immediately. The wedding and portrait guys all shot low-contrast skin-tone optimized color neg films like Kodak VPS and Portra NC, and Fuji NPS and NHG. Journalism and portrait/wedding work all went digital too, though a few portrait/wedding shooters doing high-end work use film. For journalism, digital was a no-brainer. They could instantly send a file to the reporters and editors, and the file could be dropped into the layouts by the layout people since that was all done on computers too.

Everything Chris says is true. But there are still the sentimental/stubborn/irrational old coots who love color transparency film, and are dedicated to shooting it. I count myself among them, and I do hope there are enough of us to keep that ball rolling.

Look at the bright side - in a year or so, all this film will be sitting on shelves nearing expiration dates, and they’ll go on sale. Just like Acros did recently.
Fuji should just pull the plug and get it over with.

The Japanese Yen has lost a ton of value to the USD in the last year, upwards of 30%.

That's why the US pricing looks like it's out of sync.

Shouldn't that make in less expensive in US dollars? Prices on color C41 and slide seem out of whack.

It's B&W, but my bulk rolls of Orwo comes out to $2.50/roll. Fomapan just a bit more. Save even more when yo process at home. Probably saving $10-12 total. If I were a big time color shooter, I'd learn how to process Kodak Vision3 stuff.

Shouldn't that make in less expensive in US dollars? Prices on color C41 and slide seem out of whack.

I would assume that the US distro is selling in USD but also not necessarily passing on any savings due to currency fluctuations. Also not sure if supply chain issues further exacerbate the cost.

When I see a Japanese price (within their domestic market) and converted into USD, I see that price as being discounted. In Japan, a Big Mac combo is $4.79 USD today, but almost a year ago it was $6.30 USD.

I was cleaning out my closet over the weekend and found an expired 100ft roll of Portra. Should I shoot it, or trade it for a bar of gold?

Every time I mull over shooting film again, I recall the last film I bought was Ilford HP5+ from B&H. It was the 50-roll box of 36 exposure cassettes. I don't recall the exact price but it worked out to be less than $2.00 per roll. That same box is selling at B&H for over $400 today.

I'll stick with digital.

Every time I mull over shooting film again, I recall the last film I bought was Ilford HP5+ from B&H. It was the 50-roll box of 36 exposure cassettes. I don't recall the exact price but it worked out to be less than $2.00 per roll. That same box is selling at B&H for over $400 today.

I'll stick with digital.

I remember when bread was $0.21 a loaf. I don't think you could buy it in 50 packs. Now I just spread the peanut butter and jelly on my hand.

I'm reminded that I have 1.5 boxes (30 rolls) of Velvia RVP 135 ISO 50 in my fridge...I bought both boxes at the same time and both expired in 2003.
They've been in the fridge since I bought them and should still be good...my dilemma is, do I sell them or shoot them. I've seen the current auction site prices and I know I only paid a few dollars per roll when I bought the two boxes...
The thought of shooting and developing at home sounds interesting.

I paid $30 per roll of 35mm Velvia last year, for a trip to Colorado. I have one roll of it left. I'm thinking of selling it and not buying any more color film. Even Black and White film has become too costly. It makes more sense to use my M9 and M9M.

Back