Fujifilm TX-1 acting up

kiss-o-matic

Well-known
Local time
1:59 AM
I recall this in the cold but now I'm on vacation and forgot to check if this particular issue persisted. Basically everything looks normal but when I press the exposure button I get all 3 LEDs in the finder illuminated. Doesn't look good. The shutter readout on the back seems accurate though. Any ideas?

I am actually in Tokyo at the moment. Wondering if it would be better to have it serviced here as opposed to the US

Well this damn holiday is going on so I can't contact them until that's over unfortunately. Also anywhere on their website has only newer products. They are not known for good service with their film cameras. Fingers crossed though.

A couple of years ago I went to Fujifilm in Tokyo with 60mm lens problem. I was in a hurry to leave for an assignment elsewhere, but would return in 10 days. They gave me a loaner and fixed my lens without charge. They are located a little far from the center of the city, Ikebukuro, I think? Plus a 10 minute walk from the train station.

Update: I'm able to "fix" it when it jams by rewinding the film, stopping it via the door before it finishes, and then resetting the film. If it's mid roll it's obviously difficult to not cause a double exposure.

While I maintain residency in Japan, I won't be back for a while. Given there are solutions in Europe and one actually down the street, I will explore those venues and go from there. Fingers crossed.

Tried new batteries left and right.

I have since had my TX-1 serviced and thus far am quite pleased. I shot about 3 rolls out on the streets, and 3 or 4 at Burning Man last week. (I know that will make some people cringe, but I feel an event like that deserves a special camera.)

Anyway, after searching around, a thread on some other board (can't remember where) mentioned Bob Watkins of Precision Camera Works. The best thing for me, is that he is local. I don't even have a car, but the local train drops off less than a mile from his shop. So, I lugged it out there. Got a very fair estimate a week later, and a week after that I went and picked it up. No parts changed but had CLA done for $290. I'll celebrate more when I get to roll 20 or 30, but for now I'm quite pleased. His assistant mentioned he's been able to resurrect all that have been sent his way (although I believe drive motor replacement is out of the question).

Hopefully this information helps someone in the future.

Anyway, after searching around, a thread on some other board (can't remember where) mentioned Bob Watkins of Precision Camera Works.

The vendor who sold me a Hasselblad Xpan said the Precision in Chicago (not to be confused with an unaffiliated repairer in Texas by the same name) is the only skilled repair shop who he sends these cameras for CLA.

I have since had my TX-1 serviced and thus far am quite pleased. I shot about 3 rolls out on the streets, and 3 or 4 at Burning Man last week. (I know that will make some people cringe, but I feel an event like that deserves a special camera.)

Anyway, after searching around, a thread on some other board (can't remember where) mentioned Bob Watkins of Precision Camera Works. The best thing for me, is that he is local. I don't even have a car, but the local train drops off less than a mile from his shop. So, I lugged it out there. Got a very fair estimate a week later, and a week after that I went and picked it up. No parts changed but had CLA done for $290. I'll celebrate more when I get to roll 20 or 30, but for now I'm quite pleased. His assistant mentioned he's been able to resurrect all that have been sent his way (although I believe drive motor replacement is out of the question).

Burning Man sounds like an interesting place to shoot, but their official policies seem rather authoritarian, even for personal use and especially for an event concerning self expression. I bet you could do anything you wanted with an iPhone and no one would bat an eye.

https://burningman.org/network/about-us/press-media/press-rights-responsibilities/

The vendor who sold me a Hasselblad Xpan said the Precision in Chicago (not to be confused with an unaffiliated repairer in Texas by the same name) is the only skilled repair shop who he sends these cameras for CLA.

Not surprised. Nothing but thumbs up for his team. I didn't meet or talk to him as he was out/busy, but I'm very pleased.

Burning Man sounds like an interesting place to shoot, but their official policies seem rather authoritarian, even for personal use and especially for an event concerning self expression. I bet you could do anything you wanted with an iPhone and no one would bat an eye.

https://burningman.org/network/about-us/press-media/press-rights-responsibilities/

Yes, it's quite an amazing place to take photos. The more popular ones are digital and heavily edited for dramatic skies during sunrise and sunset. They are beautiful, but I'm more into the simple things.

As for their policy: "decommodification" is one of the principles of the event. That means no vending, no sponsors, no selling of goods. Nothing. The heavy handed policy on photographs is simply an extension of that. They are very litigious when it comes to their IP... but this is no different than trying to sell a photo w/o a brand release. (It gets more complicated when you think of the art in the background, which was created for free).

However (and it's a big however), you don't need the press pass to take photos. At all. I've been 8 times, and I've clearly got kit in my hands all the time. I engage with people and ask for a photo. As time goes on, the whole concept of consent has been pressed harder and harder (mainly b/c of assaults that have occurred). I have always made sure to ask permission for photos out there, despite the fact i'm 99.9% candid on the street. I do even more so these days. Some people don't want others to know they were at Burning Man, which I respect. I had to untag a friend on FB once so she wouldn't give her mother in Eastern Europe a heart attack. :)

I find the personal use policy quite liberal, actually. It's a private event, and they allow you to freely use cameras... they just ask that you be respectful of others. I mean, there are people that don't mind being totally naked at Burning Man, but probably don't want to be naked all over the internet. I don't think having guidelines (that quite honestly aren't really enforced) is a bad thing.

I bet you could do anything you wanted with an iPhone and no one would bat an eye.

Actually phones are really cool to hate on at the moment out there, and everyone has them. Instagram models being models are the current catastrophe that is "ruining the event". Film cameras are quite often looked at as a refreshing change.

That is actually a good sign at an art festival!

Gifting Polaroids is now "a thing" there... so much I'd never think of doing it w/o pack film (even though I've been gifted one of those from the long discontinued slow Fujifilm B&W film.

I've gotten all kinds of comments on my film cameras, from all kinds of people. Many are too young to remember but show interest. One gal who I remember as contributing to one of the main exhibits actually said "bless you for using film".

Best story though was when I was at a bar, just enjoying the day. I believe I had an Electro GX with me but I had recently been using a Slim-T. VERY scantily clad girl, probably all of 22 or 23 walks by with I believe was a Contax TVS. Was tempted to say something but didn't want to look like a creeper. Some guy that looked like he just got off of Jersey Shores walks up, introduces himself, dances, and they walk off. The friend I was with just looked at me and said, "Amazing..." I got better things to do than chase tail out there though. :)

That's just to say I had a great opening line to chat up a girl but figured "nah, what are the odds" then some tool bag comes out of nowhere and she runs off with him in about 30 seconds. He probably didn't even notice the camera.

I'm glad to hear this, as I sent my Xpan to Bob for the exact same defect.

However, I'm curious what his communication was like in your experience? His website says he confirms receipt upon arrival, yet my camera has been there for a week and a half and I haven't heard anything. Prior to sending it we had a fair amount of back and forth.... Now radio silence. Kind of worrisome

I'm glad to hear this, as I sent my Xpan to Bob for the exact same defect.

However, I'm curious what his communication was like in your experience? His website says he confirms receipt upon arrival, yet my camera has been there for a week and a half and I haven't heard anything. Prior to sending it we had a fair amount of back and forth.... Now radio silence. Kind of worrisome

Bumping this. My camera is acting up again. It's been sitting in a drawer since I last used it which was probably 2 years ago. I went to the Renegade Burn -- first pic on the first roll and it started acting up. I forgot my "trick" to use to get around the problem so just put it away. It was out for seconds so I don't think it was the environment... unless heat is a big problem? I mean it's hot but not oven hot.

Curious how yours is doing. Guess I'll send it in again. Every 3 years I wouldn't mind so much. The weirdest thing is the problem only persists with film in. Doesn't happen without.

Bumping this. My camera is acting up again. It's been sitting in a drawer since I last used it which was probably 2 years ago. I went to the Renegade Burn -- first pic on the first roll and it started acting up. I forgot my "trick" to use to get around the problem so just put it away. It was out for seconds so I don't think it was the environment... unless heat is a big problem? I mean it's hot but not oven hot.

Curious how yours is doing. Guess I'll send it in again. Every 3 years I wouldn't mind so much. The weirdest thing is the problem only persists with film in. Doesn't happen without.

It is probably something to do with the infra red emitters or sensors that control the auto wind and frame spacing.

Marty

Back