Fujinon XF 8mm f3.5 R WR lens - Images and Comments

I struggle with lenses that are 21mm (full frame) or wider. If I get a well composed picture with a 21mm lens there was some luck involved in the process. So, of course I bought the Fujinon 8mm (FF EQ 12mm) f3.5 lens because I want to punish myself with the challenge of getting better at something I historically suck at - wide angle photography.

I did not crop or correct any of the next few images so that you can see exactly what you get out of the camera with this lens. At least when the lens is mounted on my camera and I'm the one pushing the shutter release.

First time out with the Fujinon 8mm f3.5 lens (Image No.1)
Placing my order at the bento shop​
DSCF0106.jpg

Fujifilm X-T2, Fujinon 8mm f3.5 lens
ACROS+G film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - July 2023
Image is lower resolution than original​

Last edited:
First time out with the Fujinon 8mm f3.5 lens (Image No.2)
Cruise ship crew members heading back to the ship (Diamond Princess)​
DSCF0103.jpg

ACROS+G film simulation

Last edited:
First time out with the Fujinon 8mm f3.5 lens (Image No.3)
Walking around Osanbashi Pier (the curvature of the wood deck is how it really is; it's not distorted).​
DSCF0082.jpg

Astia film simulation

First time out with the Fujinon 8mm f3.5 lens (Image No.4)
Walking around Osanbashi Pier​
DSCF0087.jpg

Astia film simulation

One thing I quickly noticed with this lens is that includes a lot in the frame; far more than I'm used to. I had to really slow down and look carefully from corner to corner to get the best composition. It gets what you want and will easily get what you don't want in the picture. If you're not careful it'll include your feet in the frame.

Yokohama Bay Quarter​
DSCF0472.jpg

Fujifilm X-T2, Fujinon XF 8mm f3.5 R WR lens
Astia film simulation

Yesterday I took my wife to the Yodobashi Camera Store in Yokohama to buy her a wrist watch for her birthday. Her birthday was a few weeks ago but she’s not a gift hound and it was our first opportunity to visit the store together so that she could pick the watch and get the band/bracelet fitted to her wrist by the factory representative. Once that business was concluded we headed to one of our favorite restaurants for lunch. The restaurant is located in the Yokohama Central Wholesale Market. This wholesale Market is a big complex and it’s where the people in the restaurant and grocery store business come to buy stuff, mainly fish and vegetables (it opens very early in the morning). The restaurant we go to serves the wholesale Market employees and anyone else that can find this little hole in the wall. It’s famous for its seafood and curry rice. I call this place a restaurant but the official title is: Yokohama fish market wholesale cooperative welfare cafeteria. You order your food and when it’s ready you take it outside and eat it in a tent. This place is not fancy (understatement) but the food is outstanding!

Yokohama fish market wholesale cooperative welfare cafeteria​
DSCF0482.jpg

Astia film simulation

Kannai Subway Station
Yokohama Municipal Subway Blue Line
DSCF0510.jpg

DSCF0511.jpg

Astia film simulation

Bashamichi Underground Station
Yokohama, Japan​
DSCF1757.jpg

Fujifilm X-E4, Fujinon XF 8mm f3.5 lens
August 12th, 2023

Bashamichi underground train station​
DSCF1761.jpg

ACROS film simulation
August 12th, 2023 - Yokohama, Japan

Hotel New Grand Yokohama
2nd floor lobby​
DSCF9322.jpg

Fujifilm X-H1, Fujinon XF 8mm f3.5 R WR lens
September, 2023 - Yokohama, Japan

Hotel New Grand Yokohama
Stairway leading to the 2nd floor lobby​
DSCF9325.jpg

Fujifilm X-H1, Fujinon XF 8mm f3.5 R WR lens
September, 2023 - Yokohama, Japan

Mike, perhaps because you are well aware of the problems/pitfalls the 8mm presents,
Going through these pics it looks to me like you are quickly mastering the lens...

Mike, perhaps because you are well aware of the problems/pitfalls the 8mm presents,
Going through these pics it looks to me like you are quickly mastering the lens...

There certainly is a learning curve, at least for me there is.

Canyongazer, your comment is sincerely appreciated. Thank you very much.

Mike

August 12th, 2023
Yokohama, Japan​
DSCF1747.jpg

This is great - what an amazingly narrow building! Is the sign for the office of a person who makes hanko/inkan?

Also, I agree that these are excellent. Ultra-wide is a phase that most photographers go through, but mostly the photos are junk with too much space in the forground. These are quite compelling.

This is great - what an amazingly narrow building! Is the sign for the office of a person who makes hanko/inkan?

Also, I agree that these are excellent. Ultra-wide is a phase that most photographers go through, but mostly the photos are junk with too much space in the forground. These are quite compelling.

Marty, thank you very much! Your comment means a lot to me.

I'll get back to you on the office sign.

All the best,
Mike

Back