Full frame on 10"x 8"

Film? It is digital sub forum and question was about digital FF cameras.

I don"t understand where OP problem is. I could print entire frame from any camera file, scan on any paper size my printer supports.
All I have to do is to uncheck one box. After it is unchecked printer driver sends entire picture at any paper size. Nothing different from how I print 135 format frame on 8x10 darkroom paper under enlarger. I like to have borders. They are good for framing and for greasy fingers.
Zero issues with dFF on 8x10. Or on L. Anything bigger is wasteful and not useful in my practice of having pictures framed or for giving away, storage. Details are visible enough.

...8x12 paper would be ideal for printing standard 35mm full format, but you can't get 8x12 paper in cut sheet sizing, only in roll paper. You can either get 8x10 or 9.5x12 in cut sheet sizing. So you either crop or waste paper.
G

Many thanks, I guess that applies to everyone in your part of the world and answers my original question.

Regards, David

I like the 3:2 format. In darkroom days or today using inkjet, I print 6x9 inch image area on 8x10 or 8.5x11 inch paper. I also like borders.

I think we have a psychological problem here. (Full disclosure: I have had no psychological training [and it shows {wasn't that fancy}]). Anyway, some people using full frame 35mm are disturbed when the negative provides more image than fits on 8x10 paper. Everybody talks about the paper. Why does no one talk about the negative? Simply shorten the negative to 24x30mm and the negative and paper will be the same ratio and match perfectly. (Full disclosure: I did not think this up all by myself.) I happen to own a used Canon VIt that was modified in this way.

As I see it, a frustrated photographer takes a picture with a full frame 35mm camera, makes an 8x10 print, loses image, and bangs head against the wall. Same photographer takes same picture with 24x30mm negative camera, makes an 8x10 print, has perfect negative/paper match, and is as happy as a dead hog in the sunshine (very happy). Obviously, the prints are absolutely identical, and for the accountants among us the cost is identical, too.

I printed full frame on 8x10 with the border for aesthetics. Cutting the paper in half and print full frame on 5x8 is more economical thus was my second option. Printing 6x6 on 8x10 slightly above or below center makes a good white frame.

Back