Full Time Photographer At 2-3 Frames Per Day

R

ruben

Some of us are not any more students, free-lancers, un-employed and retirement is ahead. Very scarce time for photography. Nevertheless I am experiencing an interesting thing that may be useful for a few of us.

After making my mind about the type of camera to be my main shooter, I decided to make it my only shooter.

This means that instead of looking to preserve it at home for special ocassions, and using a pocketable mini-whatever, I am taking my Shooter with me EVERYWHERE. In fact, it is worse, as we are talking about a pair of the same camera.

I wish I would be working in a kind of job making me travel, but this is not my case, like many of my RFF neighbours. I wake up, take a bus to my workplace, go back home by evening or night. Still our family may go somewhere at week-ends, holydays, and my weekly schedule some times is broken at midday for a dentist or some other compromises, enabling to raise the day frame rate accordingly.

So I am making quite a routine, but with a significant difference that is changing everything. Except for my home and workplace, one of my twins is always on my chest. At my job, or at home, one of my pair is put on the alert at a special open and accessible honourable place.

By this way involving a lot of camera-noise banging and carrying, during my working days i am producing an average of 2 or 3 frames per day, unless a small thing happens and i find myself traveling at mid-week. A fairly minimal amount.

But taking my Shooter everywhere, and keeping it on the open, is producing within me a sort of photographic tension and alertness, which translates itself in a kind of deepening sight, and dextereous camera manipulation, like i remember myself in my best photographic times when i was younger and prettier. You may compare me to a kind of hungry fisherman fishing at shallow waters. He must develop his instincts out of hunger. The quoted 2-3 frames in terms of quality, involve big fishes, out of my refining instincts.

Now my photo-op frustration is gone, and reversed into an appealing 'routine' with a deep feeling of photographic satisfaction.

Cheers,
Ruben

PS,
If you find this post usefull and want to follow suit, be ready your building neighbours as well as your co-workers, and simple bypassers, will show amused face expressions when looking at you. On the other hand you cannot but agree that everything has a price to pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your post, I appreciate your vision and personal search in this regard. It's a good idea to keep a camera with you lest some shot gets away. The tension you mention can be either good or bad, good in that you fight disappearing into a dreary routine but also bad in that sometimes the search for a photo opportunity prevents you from just relaxing or enjoying the moment. So is your sole camera the Yashica Lynx used in your gallery pics?

"After making my mind about the type of camera to be my main shooter, I decided to make it my only shooter."

clever, very clever.!

"In fact, it is worse, as we are talking about a pair of the same camera."

ohmy! there you blew it...
;)

seriously, looking forward to seeing the pics
in fact, you should have done the "project", then posted.. god knows what sort of expectations you just built up...

Hi Sooner,
My shooters are Kiev 4am+home built improvements of mechanics and exterior looking. The Lynx was part of a positive transitional period, of trying to use a single camera. But it turned out that I personally dislike color film for daylight and interiors, but like very much the results I got with color and flash by night.

As thorirv insinuates, 2 cameras may be too much, not necessarily in terms of weight, but for confusing the photographer. During my single camera period I went to appreciate the advantages of simplification. Therefore my current 2 cameras are both the same model, loaded with the same ISO both for color and for BW - ISO 200. Thus I enjoy almost the same simplification from the time of my single camera in which i was continuously mounting and dismounting a flash.

So now I have a BW daylight camera and a permanently flash mounted night color camera. Of course, there are specific hours for each.

Thorirv, "the project" will come, sooner than latter. Furthermore I am thinking about expanding it. But first a book about repairing Contaxes should arrive, and I have to read it.

Cheers,
Ruben

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Ruben, correct me if I'm wrong, but West Jerusalem would seem to be a place full of photographic opportunities. Looking for something a bit different? What seems to be your area of current interest?

shutterflower said:
two or three is better than what I manage.

Same here - I have a very "peaky" shooting habit, sometimes several rolls in a day, and then nothing. That's good, I guess, since I need to get around to processing all that film...

Ruben, I think this is a great idea. Nothing like a little simplifying to focus one's ideas. Not a bad thing every once in awhile.

Cheers,
--joe.

Good idea, Ruben!

It's pretty impossible to capture a moment on film if your camera is not in position!

Regarding the tension produced in simply being aware of a potential photograph, it should be a cultivated awareness, lurking just under the conscious mind. If you are ACTIVELY looking for a shot, I think it only works if you've scouted the area beforehand, and have an idea what you're going to shoot. It sounds to me that you're leaning more towards simply being ready when an opportunity to make a good photograph presents itself. No tension...just be alert and aware of your surroundings.

Regards!
Don

Back