FYI - Sony rx100 mk3 - rumor

GaryLH

Mentor
Local time
7:35 AM
Now this rumor has got my interest. Do u think it is for real?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/full-size-images-of-the-rx100m3-leaked
http://photorumors.com/2014/05/15/sony-rx100m3-camera-detailed-specifications-leaked-online/

- Pop-up evf (why the gimmick?)
- 24 to 70ish zoom f1.8-2.8

Announcement coming very soon.. W/in a day? Anyway the rumor has been around for awhile now, but today is first so called pictures..

I like the zoom range, improvement in fstop, and there is an evf.. I still have my rx100mk1 that I don't really use very much since I picked up my GR. The only thing that bothers me is the gimmick approach to the evf if it is true. One more moveable part that can fail. They did it to keep overall size the same it looks like w/o making the LCD smaller....

Anyway not interested in it for now...
Gary

yeah, i doubt i'll appreciate that the evf pops-up. i don't want to bother with having to flip that little switch, and i don't want to find out the hard way if it's solid enough to keep extended all the time.

engineers are so clever these days. :rolleyes:

I actually find the EVF trick is neat. Imagine if Ricoh GR has a similar trick, except with OVF. Now that would be cool.

The camera is nifty.
One neat package full-frame digital.
It will make an excellent traveler's camera.

I'm interested... I have no problem with moving parts... these cameras are pretty durable as long as you are not in a war zone.

I love my Mk.I -enough that I never felt the need to replace it. It has been with me nearly every day since released.

The added EVF is nice. I am not sure it is really needed with the excellent resident WhiteMagic screen. Of course, being retractable -it won't be in the way until you might need it!

More desirable to me is the move from 28 to 24 equivalency and the faster speed overall.

i'm glad that they at least acknowledge customers' desire for a built-in evf. on the other hand, they also seem to acknowledge that an evf would only be used occasionally on a small pocket camera.

ideally, they will make a coat pocket camera to fill the gap between the rx100 and the rx10. fixed evf, ev comp dial, grip, rear control dial, etc. maybe even extend the lens to 24-135 f/1.8. getting greedy there.

- Pop-up evf (why the gimmick?)
- 24 to 70ish zoom f1.8-2.8

Evf. Lots of people will use it once per year, under super bright noon sunlight on the beach or in mountains. At least it will not be lost somewhere mid nowhere.

Lens. Please educate me - if focal length is recalculated to 35mm equvalent, do aperture figures stay as they are or also should be recalculated? Is that f/1.8 same as on 35mm camera? I think it depends on size of sensor, so some math has to be done...or not?

I loved in second link attachable grip on top of spec sheet - excellent joke. Making flush body (front) where fingers usually are means it were designed to be kept by four fingers like typical digital compact, not like serious camera. GR comes to mind as example of completed camera not needing attachable grip.

Incoming light wise yes - f1.8 is f1.8. In terms of dof.. No. But I would defer to those who know exactly by how much. I am presuming about 2-3 stops worth of dof difference as compared to ff.

Gary

I have and love the MK1, when the MK2 came out I considered it, but none of the upgrades were anything that excited me, and most were things I actively didn't want. (hotshoe, wifi, gps etc).

I was curious about the faster lens when that was mentioned, but having seen the specs, I won't be going for the MK3 either.

I much prefer 28mm to 24mm, (yes I could zoom 4mm, but the MK1 starts up at my preferred FL).

The MK1 goes to 100mm rather than 70mm in the MK3.

I don't want the fancy articulated screen, I don't have one on any of my cameras, and I have never felt the need for one, and don't like the effect on the shape/bulk of the camera.

Finally, I realise that I'm in the minority here, but I don't want the EVF in this type of camera either, that's just not how I work with these cameras.

I suppose that for me they're cursed by having got it right first time.

The pop-up evf does make more room for a larger screen size. I will be looking forward to seeing more info. - jim

Another engineering marvel that pushes the limit. Whether people buy it or not Sony surely is THE innovator nowadays.

Why so much bashing on the Leica T? Here you find the answer.

Nikon 1 V3 better option

Nikon 1 V3 better option

IMO, Nikon's V3 kit currently packaged together (camera, kit lens, removable EVF, tilt screen, add-on grip, and FT1 adapter for Nikkor lenses) is a better option. It provides a LOT more flexibility in several ways (type of viewing, number of lenses, and style of grip).

The V3's DXOMark scores are not as good as the RX100m2's scores, but for me the flexibility factor far outweighs that. And the image quality coming out of the V3 in normal lighting conditions is superb, from what I've seen so far.

What Sony needs is much improved software, not better hardware. Among the many items on my wish list would be a zoom that returns to the last used focal lenght and the ability to keep the camera on in standby mode with the lens extende but other battery draining functions off so that I could walk around for more than 10 minutes without having to reactivate the camera.

Back