FYI: the R-D1x works with Eye-Fi cards!

rpavich

Established
Local time
7:03 AM
And boy does it work beautifully. I can shoot and not worry about pulling the card out, I just get close to the laptop and the pictures start transferring on their own, like a poor man's tethering.

And the raw files are small enough that they only take about four seconds to transfer.

I'm as happy as I can be, the camera is in mint condition and except for triggers...everything is working!

nice discovery. i'm enjoying your enthusiasm for the rd-1, it's made me shoot with mine a bit.

That's great to hear....I'm in heaven.

If this camera would to ONE thing, I'd never need another camera; close up food shots.

Because of the MFD it can't get the right perspective (that I want) so I hang on to my other camera.

But that's it...

Great, happy that it all worked out for you.

I wonder if a Canon RF "Auto Up" close-up assembly would work on an RD1?

You would probably need a step down ring also. I've got one somewhere, if I can find it, I'll see if it works on the RD-1.

Great, happy that it all worked out for you.

I wonder if a Canon RF "Auto Up" close-up assembly would work on an RD1?

You would probably need a step down ring also. I've got one somewhere, if I can find it, I'll see if it works on the RD-1.
Thanks Larry!

Which one did you buy? I suppose it needs to be some old one under 2gb?

The R-D1x supports SDHC. For the original R-D1 you would have to get a SD version ("pro" or "mobi" only, the basic Eye-Fi cards didn't operate stand-alone, but depended on internet access, and had no raw support).

The R-D1x supports SDHC. For the original R-D1 you would have to get a SD version ("pro" or "mobi" only, the basic Eye-Fi cards didn't operate stand-alone, but depended on internet access, and had no raw support).

I couldn't get the 2gb card to work in my R-D1s.

I did get the R-D1x working great with the Eye Fi.

I couldn't get the 2gb card to work in my R-D1s.

I did get the R-D1x working great with the Eye Fi.

There was quite a mess of SD Eye-Fi cards. Some very early ones needed more power than many cameras deliver. Quite a few don't work any more because they were limited to WEP, required access to already obsolete versions of some cloud service or otherwise fail to co-operate with current apps.

And with the R-D1 there is the issue of an all metal body - people did report success with 2GB Eye-Fi PRO cards, provided that they used a slot extender to keep the card sticking out of the open door, or when using the camera in immediate vicinity to a computer with unusually good Wifi reception. The R-D1x seems to have some window in the metal at the location of the card reader.

Wonder if m8/9 have similar issue with metal body & WiFi?

Agreed eye-fi is great help with older digi cameras, especially now in age of smartphones and social media.

There was quite a mess of SD Eye-Fi cards. Some very early ones needed more power than many cameras deliver. Quite a few don't work any more because they were limited to WEP, required access to already obsolete versions of some cloud service or otherwise fail to co-operate with current apps.

And with the R-D1 there is the issue of an all metal body - people did report success with 2GB Eye-Fi PRO cards, provided that they used a slot extender to keep the card sticking out of the open door, or when using the camera in immediate vicinity to a computer with unusually good Wifi reception. The R-D1x seems to have some window in the metal at the location of the card reader.

I've used the X-2 Pro, and now the Mobi Pro cards in an M9 and the R-D1s and x with no issues.

Back